Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Qualitative planning for major streets (was: Major streets plan)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2003

Qualitative planning for major streets (was: Major streets plan)

Can anyone refer me to books, reports, or actual major street plans for cities or regions that meet the following criteria:

-are more holistic/qualitative (quality of life, consideration of street's purposes other than just transportation) vs. quantitative (LOS, V/C, purely auto mobility-focused)

-Southeastern cities in the 500,000-1.5 million range preferred

I appreciate any thoughts!

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm not familiar with individual cities, but we are looking at revamping many of our standards using Context Sensitive Solutions in Designing Major Urban Thoroughfares for Walkable Communities: An ITE Proposed Recommended Practice (Link) There's a free download of it somewhere on the site.

I have not reviewed this reference personally so someone may tell you not to use it, but I'm willing to bet you will find more success in getting your standards changed if you use ITE for support, especially in the south.
    Last edited by Suburb Repairman; 20 Jul 2006 at 4:36 PM.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 1998
    A year ago, I spent a lot of time searching for the same kind of information. I found a PowerPoint presentation by Nelson/Nygaard Consulting titled, "Breaking the Code 12 Code Obstacles to Smart Growth and What Cities are Doing to Remove Them." It was presented at the Transportation and Land Use Coalition 8th Annual Summit. It had some very good information on Seattle where they classify streets according to quality of service, rather than LOS.

If you can't find it through Google, PM me with your email address and I'll send email it to you.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    A year ago, I spent a lot of time searching for the same kind of information. I found a PowerPoint presentation by Nelson/Nygaard Consulting titled, "Breaking the Code 12 Code Obstacles to Smart Growth and What Cities are Doing to Remove Them." It was presented at the Transportation and Land Use Coalition 8th Annual Summit. It had some very good information on Seattle where they classify streets according to quality of service, rather than LOS.

If you can't find it through Google, PM me with your email address and I'll send email it to you.
    Heh heh... I had it bookmarked!

Linky (warning, I'm a PDF)

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman
    Heh heh... I had it bookmarked!
    Wow, that is pretty sweet. Mucho Grassy Arse !!!
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Mar 2005
    We've worked on collector street plans for several smaller towns/neighborhoods surrounding our city of 100,000. These plans focused on community and aesthetics more than or as much as vehicular mobility. PM me and I would be glad to share them if interested.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2003

Interested in Plans

Quote Originally posted by jmello
    We've worked on collector street plans for several smaller towns/neighborhoods surrounding our city of 100,000. These plans focused on community and aesthetics more than or as much as vehicular mobility. PM me and I would be glad to share them if interested.
    I tried to PM you, but the computer said you're not set up for that. I'm certainly interested in the plans though.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tall Fella'
    I tried to PM you, but the computer said you're not set up for that. I'm certainly interested in the plans though.
    I just fixed that, sorry.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 26 Apr 2012, 1:21 PM
  2. Major planning projects in Oz
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 27 Jan 2009, 4:55 AM
  3. Public streets vs private streets
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 10