Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: elevated homes in NOLA

Registered
    Aug 2005

elevated homes in NOLA

my professor asked me to go out and take some pictures of recently elevated homes near campus. i thought they were interesting and y'all might enjoy seeing them.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Elevated houses and camps are common in south Louisiana. My family has a beachfront house on Grand Isle that was built in the 1950s and sits on half length telephone poles. The downstairs is designed to let tidal surges pass through. After a really big hurricane the plumbing usually gets washed into the yards across the highway. We recover what we can and hook it back up. Has worked for us for more than fifty years. That camp is rock-solid. Hurican Katrina just broke windows. I suspect one day the island will wash away but the camp will still be there.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Ah! I see some people thought out a good solution. And well now they can have a nice "underground" garage and everything.... lots of more storage place... but I would recomend to those people to put something to prevent any pedestrian to walk beneath their houses. Something like a thin walling or wooded fence.

Good to see that the idea I posted after Katrina is now a reality for some... (I don't credit on the idea... I just said at the time that they should do something like the Palafitos in Chiloe... and they did!)

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Hmm...I still don't know what to make of this idea. I'm assuming these houses are very close to Lake Pontchartrain, right?

Cause I think raising ALL the houses would destroy the urban character of New Orleans. But then again, the city does sit below sea level, and this is probably necessary especially in the areas directly affected by the flooding (i.e. 9th Ward) and areas that consistently flood in other storms.

But maybe I'll warm up to the idea more when I see some completed jobs, with the houses all reconstructed and painted. I also think some landscape buffers or something would make it look nicer.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Q. Do you know the FPG Elevation ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    All of the new houses on the barrier islands down here (Kitty Hawk, Wrightsville Beach, Oak Island, etc.) are built on stilts with a carport or garage on the first level.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    the homes shown in the pictures were from the Gentilly neighborhood, near Lake Pontchartrain. this is not downtown/uptown New Orleans, this is the more suburban area.

i'm not sure of the FPG but they are an A7 flood zone.

most of the empty space will eventually be enclosed for garages or carports.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Enclosing was the thing I was worried about, at the beach homes are typ expressly forbidden from enclosing the stilted areas to provide water a pass through in case of flooding. If folks start enclosing then the whole point is lost-save property and lives.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    Enclosing was the thing I was worried about, at the beach homes are typ expressly forbidden from enclosing the stilted areas to provide water a pass through in case of flooding. If folks start enclosing then the whole point is lost-save property and lives.
    apparently there is technology that allows for break-a-way walls. you can put up walls so that the area appears enclosed but after a certain amount or pressure from the water, the walls will break-a-way allowing, in theory, for the passage of water.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Q. Do you know the FPG Elevation ?
    The most recent map requires houses that flooded badly be raised 3 ft. But there are issues with that because the flooding would not have happened if the levees (St. Bernard Parish, New Orleans East) and floodwalls (17th Street Canal, Industrial Canal) had not broken.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 11 Oct 2012, 2:50 PM
  2. Replies: 195
    Last post: 18 Apr 2010, 2:02 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 19 Jan 2006, 12:26 AM
  4. NOLA planning discussion on NPR (live)
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 Jan 2006, 10:43 AM
  5. Hi from NOLA.
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 12 Aug 2005, 9:19 AM