Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Moronic Moments

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by cololi

When I was about 8 years old, my dad took my duck hunting.

An odd thing to do with a pet duck

Registered
    Mar 2006
    In college I was taking a nap at my apartment before I had an afternoon class. For some reason, when I woke up, I read the clock wrong and thought it was actually an hour later than it was. I was frantic to catch the bus and head to class because I thought I was running late. For some reason I never bothered to look at my watch again, cause I was so frazzled. I finally got there and figured I was about 5 minutes late, so I quietly entered and took my usual seat, which happened to be one of the few empty seats in the room. I realized I didn't have the usual people sitting to my sides, and I looked up and there was a different instructor there. This was a small class, with only about 12 people in it, so it isn't like I could go un-noticed. Finally it dawned on me that I was in the wrong class. First I thought I accidently went into the wrong room. Then I saw the clock and realized it was actually an hour earlier than I thought it was. People were staring at me and giggling and I just had to say "opps, wrong class" and I left. That was probably the biggest brain fart I've ever had.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I had a roommate in college that worked at the local Kroger subsidiary company stocking shelves all night. Weird latenight schedule, but I would sometimes get some fresh donuts in the morning.
    This threw his rhythm off pretty good, and there would be times I would be setting around having a beer and a smoke after class and he'd storm out at 2 in the afternoon thinking he was late for work. It was only when he got outside to see the sun shining that he realized it and went back to bed. I'll have to remind him of that next time we're together.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Another moronic thing I have been known to do: be e-mailing a friend for a long IM-style conversation and intermittently answering other emails to public lists and, oops, post one of the private e-mails to the list. So far, nothing extremely mortifying has made it to a public list that way.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Another moronic thing I have been known to do: be e-mailing a friend for a long IM-style conversation and intermittently answering other emails to public lists and, oops, post one of the private e-mails to the list. So far, nothing extremely mortifying has made it to a public list that way.

I have done that from work before. I email to my fiance quite often during the day. One time I sent an email saying something along the lines of "You are so pretty I love you" and accidentally sent it to my male boss. Luckily he had a great sense of humor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner
    I have done that from work before. I email to my fiance quite often during the day. One time I sent an email saying something along the lines of "You are so pretty I love you" and accidentally sent it to my male boss. Luckily he had a great sense of humor
    I read somewhere of a woman whose mind was wandering and thinking of her boyfriend while on the phone with a male boss and said something like "I love you".

I have read of some great embarrassing moments in magazines, like some woman flushing her wrap-around skirt down the toilet at an airport on accident because the ties got caught in the flush and it all happened too fast to do anything to stop it. So then she has to catch her flight in her panties. I can understand that happening. I once realized that my wrap skirt was about to fall off me as the ties had gotten loose and were steadily getting looser. I had to untie it and readjust it while continuing to walk on a public sidewalk and pretend it was perfectly normal behavior or something.

     
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    I am sure that most of us have accidentally walked into the wrong restroom at a public place only to get two steps in and realize it, then all red faced walked to the correct restroom. .
    At a new place of employment with poorly marked doors, I used the mens room for a week before someone finally pointed this out to me. Whoops!

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Mrs G relates a story about a co-worker buying a condo. He gets settled in on moving day and decides to have a beer out on the veranda. As he walks to the railing he hears the "click" of the door and realizes that it has just locked behind him. Of course, the key is inside. There's nothing to do but to climb down to the veranda below and ask for help.
    I did this too my first day at a new apartment in grad school. I had no idea how to get ahold of my new landlords. I found that the back door was unlocked, but the chain was on. I happened to have a $20 bill in my pocket, so I walked about a mile to one of those rental places where you can get anything from party supplies to cranes. I rented the only pair of bolt cutters they had - about 2 feet long - and carried them back home and snapped the chain in half.

I have a million similar duh moments, but by far the worst.... one February evening I was driving to a basketball game at some tiny college in BFE, northern Pennsylvania, where the team my girlfriend coached was playing. I was quite early, so I decided to kill some time by driving through some random state park. Somewhere in the middle of this giant park, I saw a map of hiking trails posted alongside the road. Being a map nerd, I had to get out and take a closer look. And promptly locked myself out of the car. The gf's brand new car. In the middle of a totally deserted state park in the middle of nowhere. In February. With no coat on. With a few feet of snow on the ground. Starting to get dark. With the car running....

I remembered driving through a campground a mile or so back, so I walked back there and thankfully there was a payphone. I don't think I had any money with me, so I don't know how but I got through to the ranger station. An employee drove back and let me sit in his truck while we waited for first the police, who poked and poked at the locks but couldn't get them unlocked. So they had to call a locksmith. This place was so out of the way, it took an hour and half for him to get there. So I got to sit with the cops for awhile. So after the locksmith finally got the car open, the gas tank was almost empty. It took me probably half an hour to get to the nearest gas station, but I made it. So once that hurdle was cleared, I thought I was okay. I got to the basketball game on time... then after the game, I go out to the car and I can't get in either door. The police and/or locksmith had broken something in both doors. So I had to call another locksmith to open it again. The girlfriend was not happy. I was just glad I wasn't constructing a snow cave and rubbing twigs together.

Thinking I'd do something nice for my wife, I took her car to the carwash to give it a good vacuuming and wash. I brought our son (this was before our daughter was born) who was about 3 at the time. Got the vacuuming done and moved into the wash bay. Since my son wanted to stay in the car, I left the keys in the ignition so he could listen to the radio while I washed the car. (You can see where this is going by now, can't you)

I don't know how he did it (he was in his booster-seat) but he managed to get the locks all locked. I'm trying to get back in the car and the door's locked. I can see that all the locks are in the down position. Now I'm just a little panicky and trying to get my boy to unlock the locks. I don't imagine he has a mean streak in him or anything, but he's giggling as I get more frustrated. People are starting to notice that something's up. I finally give up and call Mrs G, who arrives with the spare key.

Fortunately, it was early October and not hot, so I don't think he was in any real danger. I thought about giving the boy a good talking to, but since I was really at fault, I took the lesson instead of him.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I had a moronic moment with one of my girls. I was piloting my full size van in tony East Grand Rapids and wanted to avoid a long traffic light so i ducked into a parking lot I thought would take me to the bookstore. It was a carwash with no thru way. What the heck I decided to get the van washed as they could accomodate the big behemoth only I had to get out of the van to pay and I thought that was weird. Then I saw someone get in my van and move it forward , get out and away goes my van through the automatic carwash with my infant in the carseat.

I was directed to the waiting room and the free coffee and with a big window to watch my van as it went through

it was the longest five minutes of my life, my baby was fine just waking up from her nap. But I felt like the biggest bumpkin.
    Last edited by Jen; 27 Jul 2006 at 11:44 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    There are probably some idiots who leave their infants sleeping in their cars while they go through those washes, on purpose.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Moments where you think of BUN
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 12 Feb 2013, 11:44 PM
  2. Mind Messin Movie Moments
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 47
    Last post: 30 Jul 2005, 3:32 PM
  3. Best Television Moments