Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Decisions....Decisions

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries

Decisions....Decisions

OK, y'all time for a new thread......now that the admission notifications are rolling in what school are you going to decide upon, or really considering seriously? Anyone having a disconnect between getting admitted to your "dream school" and the realities of affording it and living at the same time? We seem to be exchanging one set of worries for another!

Registered
    Nov 2005

no word so no worries

No worries yet as I have not heard back from any of the schools I applied to. Only thing that is frustrating is I am currently on the hunt for a new job in case school doesn't pan out, but would like to avoid taking a new job to have to quit in the fall for school.

Other than that just the usual of moving problems.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Time to get this thread moving along.....

What schools are you really seriously considering?

Where have you decided to go to school?

Registered
    Sep 2005
    I'm deciding between Michigan and Rutgers. Waiting to hear whether I'll get in-state tuition from Michigan and waiting to hear about financial aid from Rutgers.

I'm going to the Rutgers Open House next week, does anyone know how you're supposed to dress for these things? I figured that khakis and a button down is fine, right?

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally posted by mccart95
    I'm deciding between Michigan and Rutgers. Waiting to hear whether I'll get in-state tuition from Michigan and waiting to hear about financial aid from Rutgers.

I'm going to the Rutgers Open House next week, does anyone know how you're supposed to dress for these things? I figured that khakis and a button down is fine, right?
    I went to an Open House at MIT wearing jeans and a sweater and felt that I was a bit underdressed. I think you are right on about khakis and a button-down.

I am planning on going to Cornell because they are the only school that gave me funding and i need it. I'm excited about it though, looks like a great program for someone who wants to focus on community/economic development planning.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 28 Mar 2006 at 1:37 PM. Reason: double reply

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Pretty sure I'll be going to Gtech but am waiting till after the open house just to ensure I'm not making a terrible mistake,

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I'm having a really hard time deciding between MIT and Berkeley....Is anyone else considering Berkeley??
    Last edited by Phoenicia; 28 Mar 2006 at 4:15 PM.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    University of Toronto. I really liked Buffalo but both gave me great scholarships and the location of Toronto was the deciding point.

Registered
    Jan 2006

re: deciding

i'm still waiting to hear from mit, but right now i'm deciding between pratt and columbia (will probably ultimately choose columbia... b/c of offered $, opportunities, etc). does anyone know if columbia is doing an open house for accepted students? they sent us NO information!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I am off to Rutgers..............Portland didn't give me any funding and the Bloustein School is well known for public policy.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    does anyone know if columbia is doing an open house for accepted students?
    there is NO open house for columbia, not that i've heard from them yet.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I'm planning on going to Univ. of Michigan. I will be going to the open house this weekend to take a look. I'm def. stressed about paying for it (especially since I only got loans and I'm out of state) but it's like my boyfriend said:

Tuition: $28,000
    Room & Board: $10,000
    Books and Supplies: $1,100
    A job you enjoy: Priceless

I was freaked out at first but the closer I get to being able to leave the job I absolutely hate to start a career I know I would enjoy, the more I realize I could care less about how much it's going to cost me. If you've never had a job you absolutely hate, trust me, it's exhausting. My stress levels have never been so high and I've never felt more tired in my life. When you're looking at the price tag of your potential school, just try and remember why you applied in the first place.
    I've heard nothing but postive things about Michigan and I'm really looking forward to seeing it for myself. Good luck to everyone making decisions and I'm sure I'll see some of you at the Michigan open house.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Phoenicia
    Is anyone else considering Berkeley??
    Gotta follow the funding, rather than the flattery, you know? Getting into Berkeley was a fantastic 1-afternoon high, but with no $$ outlay from them, it's just not possible.

I'm visiting both Michigan and UIUC this week, then deciding between the two of them by next friday. Barring eleventh-hour news from MIT, of course, but I'm not holding my breath.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    fructa:

you're not the only one waiting on MIT; in fact, i'm still waiting on three schools.

Registered
    Apr 2005

Four schools in the mix

Like many others on this board, I still haven't made up my mind about where I'm heading coming this April 15th. I have four schools in the running; with UI-Chicago, VT-Alexandria and Portland State offering tuition/fee waivers, with stipends of varying amounts, and Michigan offering a tuition waiver for two years. I'm visiting UIC and Michigan this weekend, and hopefully I'll get some discernment over the final decision. Any advice would be appreciated.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Peter: woah, how'd you up the Michigan amount?

Penn w/ massive debt vs. state schools for cheap... that's the one I'm trying to figure.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    Debating UCLA with no aid vs. free ride (at least the first year) at Rutgers...why I am even debating this?! But I am, at least until after the open houses.

Yesterday I got an email from a prof at the school currently in last place on my list (Minnesota, with no aid and not much encouragement so far of the possibility of assistantships). The email started out, "Are you still making up your mind about grad school? I'd be glad to talk to you about your decision."

Should I email him my dilemma?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by flaneuse
    Tell him to show you the money!

Registered
    Nov 2005

why not?

Debating UCLA with no aid vs. free ride (at least the first year) at Rutgers...why I am even debating this?! But I am, at least until after the open houses.

Yesterday I got an email from a prof at the school currently in last place on my list (Minnesota, with no aid and not much encouragement so far of the possibility of assistantships). The email started out, "Are you still making up your mind about grad school? I'd be glad to talk to you about your decision."

I would, you got nothing to lose.

Registered
    Jun 2003

I'm just finishing up my MCRP at Rutgers and can tell you that we're pretty casual here - a sweater would be fine imho. Let me know if you have any questions about the program -- what I can tell you is that most of us (students) end up getting financial aid even if not offered at first. While you at school already, opportunities for research / paid work abound -- I, for one, was not offered a GA for the first semester here, but got an offer for the remaining 3 semesters here (+ free summer classes). Hope this helps!

Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek
    I am off to Rutgers..............Portland didn't give me any funding and the Bloustein School is well known for public policy.
    I was in the EXACTLY same boat as you are in right now two years ago, and honestly, the decision turned out to be excellent! Let me know if you have any questions about Rutgers.

Quote Originally posted by passdoubt
    Penn w/ massive debt vs. state schools for cheap... that's the one I'm trying to figure.
    Go to any state school -- Penn is just not worth it in terms of returns you'd be getting.

Go to Rutgers -- you'll get a free ride for TWO years, without a doubt -- the priority of Rutgers is to fund coninuing students first...
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 29 Mar 2006 at 1:37 PM. Reason: quadrouple reply. PLEASE CONSOLIDATE MULTIPLE REPLIES INTO ONE POST

Registered
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Phoenicia
    I'm having a really hard time deciding between MIT and Berkeley....Is anyone else considering Berkeley??
    I am definitely considering Berkeley. I'm planning on going to their Open House in a few weeks. The only thing is, I haven't received anything from them in the mail yet, not even my 'official' acceptance letter, and this really worries me!

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Hey Jax--

If it's any consolation, I haven't gotten anything paper from Berkeley either. I keep getting emails from Kaye Bock, though, so I think the dearth of paper evidence is not a signal that our acceptances are unofficial...

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I received my official acceptance letter with funding information from Berkeley today so you should receive yours in the next few days. Jax, I'm very interested in your thoughts about Berkeley...

April 8th? I'm probably going to go there too. Planning and Public Policy at New Brunswick campus right? Not the Urban Studies at Camden.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. MIT decisions
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 15 Mar 2010, 11:17 PM
  2. Final decisions?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 80
    Last post: 29 Nov 2009, 9:30 PM
  3. Decisions, decisions...