Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Starting UW-Madison

Registered
    Jul 2006

Starting UW-Madison

Hello all.

Does anyone have any comments about UW-Madison's planning program? I've already made up my mind and am starting there this Fall. Just wondering what other's thoughts were. I just want to be assured that I am getting a respectable degree that will garner me some gainful employment nationally.

Well, after plenty of consideration, I ended up selecting UW-Madison's program. Here were my reasons.

1. They offer the opportunity to earn a dual MPA/MURP degree in 3 years. Very few schools allow this. My interest in Public Policy is high, so it was important. Also, UW-Madison's LaFollette School of Public Affairs is well ranked.
    2. Though I haven't heard much of UW's planning program, they are accredited and have a well rounded curriculum.
    3. UW-Madison also offers a Certificate in Transportation Management and Policy. This is completed by structuring one's curriculum to include certain transportation-related courses. Since my interest in planning is mainly in TOD and transportation planning, I liked this offering.
    4. I was given a Fellowship (for the MPA program). However, the Urban & Regional Planning program offers plenty of PA/TA opportunities to fund other semesters.

Thoughts? Post em here.

- Michael R.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I got an MS in urban planning at UW Madison in 2005. While the department has some shortcomings, the university is wonderful and it was a great experience. I took some courses in other departments- LaFollette, geography, economics, etc and found that it was a good way to get what I was missing from URPL. Good luck!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. What school? UW-Madison or UVA
    Student Commons
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 20 Apr 2013, 6:44 PM
  2. Madison, WI
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 05 Dec 2005, 1:44 PM
  3. Greetings from Madison, WI
    Introduce Yourself