Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: LA Times Quotes Cyburbia!!

Registered
    Aug 1997

LA Times Quotes Cyburbia!!

http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher...Id=l:410100530

And from a post on Cyburbia.org, a forum for urban planners: "Highlands Ranch represents the nexus of all that is soulless and evil in the world."

"I watched Highlands Ranch grow from my uncle's front yard," one urban planner wrote on Cyburbia.org.

"It was evil, and we made fun of the mono-colored houses.... In college [I said] that I would never design anything like it. But as I watched my cousins and friends grow up there, I can't remember why it is such a bad place."
    (Emphasis added)

How about that?

And this is posted on the American Planning Association's Daily Planning News page.

If I remember, APA hasn't been friendly to PAIRC/Cyburbia in the past, correct Dan?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I find this quote interesting

"It was evil, and we made fun of the mono-colored houses.... In college [I said] that I would never design anything like it. But as I watched my cousins and friends grow up there, I can't remember why it is such a bad place."

Especialy considering this is part of Jane Jacobs hypothesis in her new book Dark Age Ahead.

Fess up who said this?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 1998
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Huzzah! Some press!

Quote Originally posted by donk
    Fess up who said this?
    zmanPlan is the culprit, in this thread:

Quote Originally posted by zmanPlan
    From a sociological standpoint, Highlands Ranch represents the nexus of all that is Soulless and Evil in the world. (well, maybe not the world, but close). This subdivision breeds SUV Driving, Neighborhood Centric, Republican Voting, isolated, uppity, cookie cutter robots the likes of which one has never seen. I feel this area is a void in an otherwise wonderful metro area, and I am glad that I live removed from this area.

If I ever see another Beautiful Highlands Ranch frame surrounding a green and white Colorado license plate, God help those who drive that very SUV.
    Alas, the article on the LA Times site doesn't have a link, and I haven't seen anything in the referrer logs. Maybe it'll get us some long-awaited attention from the West Coast crowd, if they'll just type the URL into their browsers.

Let's see if it hits the blogosphere anytime soon.
    http://www.technorati.com/search/cyburbia
    http://www.technorati.com/search/%22...nds%20ranch%22

We earned some notoriety in April for the "draft Houston zoning code" April Fools joke, from the Houston Business Journal. Again, there was no link to Cyburbia, and there was no bump in traffic.

Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff
    If I remember, APA hasn't been friendly to PAIRC/Cyburbia in the past, correct Dan?
    In the first incarnation of the APA site, there was a prominent link to PAIRC, the predecessor of Cyburbia. From 1996 to 2001, it was their only external link. During that time, the APA webmaster and I were on very good terms. When the APA site moved to a CMS in 2001, the Cyburbia link went bye-bye, and for some reason that still remains unknown to me, APA support of Cyburbia suddenly chilled - at least I think it did.

APA's planning news comes from a Lexis/Nexis feed, and I don't think that someone in a corner office on Michigan Avenue reviews the articles that end up on the site. Even if that was the case, I don't think they would reject it just because it mentions Cyburbia.

Registered
    May 2003
    ^-- From what I've seen most newspapers operate on a policy that they don't link to outside sources. Both because they don't want to slam sites with limited resources and they don't want to give free advertisement.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Huzzah! Some press!
    zmanPlan is the culprit, in this thread:
    See Children, cynicism does have its place in viable discussion.

Wow, interesting. Dan, if this statement caused any embarassment to Cyburbia, I must say I had no intention of this being printed in a major newspaper.

Now, where be my royalties.

Upon reading this, I wonder if it will get picked up in the Denver papers.
    Last edited by zman; 24 Jul 2006 at 4:32 PM.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2000
    DCBUFF is the quotable one.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    ^-- From what I've seen most newspapers operate on a policy that they don't link to outside sources. Both because they don't want to slam sites with limited resources and they don't want to give free advertisement.
    Damn. Cyburbia's been Metafiltered before without any ill effects, but I'd like to see what would happen with a Slashdotting or Digging.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I suddenly feel, so, so exposed...

Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian
    I suddenly feel, so, so exposed...

Post pics.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Damn. Cyburbia's been Metafiltered before without any ill effects, but I'd like to see what would happen with a Slashdotting or Digging.
    Have you seen an increase in traffic or memberships since the article?
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Quotes you are fond of
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 16 Aug 2013, 8:49 AM
  2. Best Quotes of All Time...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 62
    Last post: 28 Oct 2011, 11:06 AM
  3. Freedom Quotes
    Friday Afternoon Club