Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: "Essential Land Development advice"

Registered
    Jul 2006

"Essential Land Development advice"

So I was wondering>>>>

Sooon I will be moving to Texas to attend a big time university and finish my bachelors degree in Bus Mgmt. I have been pondering what type of career I was interested in so I asked my uncle for some advice. He lives in Texas and owns a construction firm as welll as a building inspection firm that have been very successful over the last 20 years. His suggestion was for me to obtain real estate certifications right now in my spare time while going to school. From there he said to move to residential land development and then Commercial raw land development, eventually starting and maintaining my own commercial raw land development firm. His suggestion was that i would reach my fullest potential if this is what i would try to start, own, and maintain and progress throughout my life. I was wondering if i could get some input from you guys who know someone or happen to be someone who has been mildly to extremely successful in dealing with residential and commercial land development. What personality traits seem to be prevelant in someone who is successful in this profession? What are some of the myths and incorrect stigma's that go along with land development firms? What things are essential to running a successful land development firm? VC funding vs. Loans from banks & lending companies? Any other important things to keep in mind while pursuing this type of career? Any other comments!

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Welcome to Cyburbia. A planner isn't usually a developer's favorite person to deal with when trying to get a project off the ground. The developers that I've dealt with in the past have normally been the real slick type who knew their way around City Hall - meaning they knew to stop at their district councilman's office first before going to City Planning with their request. I think the most successful developers are those who have a niche and promote a specific type of development that's mainly pleasing to the community, such as adaptive reuse/preservation of historic bldgs. Worst developers - those who work for corporate giants who promulgate one type of development and refuse to compromise on the design. Good luck with your career!
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

I would suggest that when you start up your company, you use the same name as you've chosen for your login. It will endear you to planning commissions as well as the general public!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 01 Mar 2012, 8:04 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last post: 03 Jan 2011, 6:24 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 28 Sep 2009, 3:55 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 Nov 2006, 8:31 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last post: 23 Oct 2006, 11:14 PM