Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Moving to DC - Looking for City Information/Advice

Registered
    Apr 2006

Moving to DC - Looking for City Information/Advice

I am moving to DC next month and would appreciate any thoughts, adivce, words or encouragement or other musings from the cyburia community on living and working in DC.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

     
    Registered
    Feb 2006
    Are you actually going to be living and working in DC proper, or just within the beltway?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon
    I am moving to DC next month and would appreciate any thoughts, adivce, words or encouragement or other musings from the cyburia community on living and working in DC.
    Bring your checkbook.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Lol I donno if you have a planning type job lined up or what but there are some real places to stay away from. Right now Mogo County is a mess, the City of Alexandria's Planning Dir resigned today, if you work for DC you have to live IN Dc and honestly just dont try to work for DC.

Cost is out of this world even if the pay looks good its not much with the cost of housing, gas for the long commutes etc.

BUT its a fantastic place to live if you like history, art, all sorts of food and the wonderful mix of ethnic groups that is DC. I moved here early 2002 and LOVE it.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Mar 2004

GO For it.....

Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    the City of Alexandria's Planning Dir resigned today.
    The One is looking into the crystal ball and seeing a new job for PlannerGirl.....
    Skilled Adoxographer
    I have two emotions....Silence and Rage

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Ha! NOT

Got myself a hefty little raise I think Ill keep doing what I'm doing now that the housing situation is getting interesting. And my commute is not that bad.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Nov 2005
    love to help you out, but we'll need more information.

where exactly are you working?
    how much can you spend on housing?
    have you ever lived in a big city before?
    what's important to you? a shorter commute or cheaper housing?
    what sort of neighborhood activity level do you prefer?
    are you cool with public transportation?

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by The District
    love to help you out, but we'll need more information.

where exactly are you working?
    how much can you spend on housing?
    have you ever lived in a big city before?
    what's important to you? a shorter commute or cheaper housing?
    what sort of neighborhood activity level do you prefer?
    are you cool with public transportation?
    I will be working for the City of DC.
    I am already looking at places that want more than I want to spend on housing but what can you do other than grap your ankles.
    Does Phoenix count as a big city?
    I start next month so finding housing that is in better shape than my old frat house has been a challenge. Commuting via public transportation and foot is the plan to get around which is preferable. I have always wanted to live in a city where a car was not necessary. As for the neighborhood I would like something on the diverse side but relztively safe. I am looking is the Columbia Heights, Adams Morgan, Shaw area. The closer I get to Petworth the more gritty the neighborhoods seem.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Hehe get ready to bend over and good luck working for DC

Adams Morgan has gotten pretty...um well its got great places to eat but its one of the areas that crime has gone nuts in not to mention if you DO own a car be ready for it to be broken into and to have a hellish time trying to park it unless you have a paid spot in a priv garage.

Columbia Heights is not bad at all, my room mate is moving there this week.

Often you can find small older places in Woodly Park if you look on craigslist and walk around looking for signs-they go quick. North of Thomas Cir is picking up well as is Cap Hill up near the cemetary.

Dont try in G'town or Dupont, just go there to hang out but dont try to live there too much hassel for the cost

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Pack some heat??? Not to be a downer but the crime there is horrible, and seems to be getting worse??? I dunno just guessing by what I hear in the media. D.C. has a lot of great places though. Good Luck. Sorry I don't have any great advice. Have some family in Baltimore so I visit the area time to time.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    If you're willing, a group house can be cheap and fun. When I was in school in DC I lived in a big townhouse on Capitol Hill, right across the street from the Library of Congress. There were six of us in the house, each with our own bedroom. Common kitchen, dining room, and living room. Three full baths. You can find ads under headings like roommate wanted.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Save your money because you won't have any after you move there. Befriend PG.

Registered
    Jul 2004

Congrats!

Congratulations on your job in DC! As a planner who moved to the DC area a year ago from the North, I have nothing but great things to say about this place.

This region also has some of the most exciting examples of good planning in the US. However every silver lining has a touch of gray...quality housing can be expensive. And if you drive...on second thought- don't drive. Trust me- I used to think Boston drivers were bad and 128 had a traffic problem - aaaah ya lol.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I will be working for the City of DC.
    Not to nitpick, but I think you mean the District of Columbia. It is much more than a city.

I am already looking at places that want more than I want to spend on housing but what can you do other than grap your ankles.
    Live in a less trendy part of town.

Check craigslist and citypaper, visit places during the day and night (you wanna feel comfortable living there 24/7, not just when the sun is up), and live with roommates.

     
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    If you are coming by car, be sure to get a parking permit as soon as possible (tickets fly to your windowsheild). Also familiarize yourself with the metro system.

Registered
    May 2005
    Adams Morgan is fun and the crime isn't that bad as long as you don't have a car. My friend lives in C-Height and it is up and coming, but good place to live. And it never hurts to look at dupont or g-town some of my friends have gotten lucky. If need to meet people and make friends look to join a kickball team (its big in DC) or get on alumni flag football team or do some social events with Capital Alumni Network.
    "A man is what he does in his dreams." ~Camilla Sacci

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for all the advice. I found a place in Columbia Hieghts. Having always lived in a a sprawling city or a rural city I an going to try and live without a car for a year.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2006
    Thanks for all the advice. I found a place in Columbia Hieghts. Having always lived in a a sprawling city or a rural city I an going to try and live without a car for a year.
    random, but check this place out while you're in dc:

http://www.busboysandpoets.com/

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by ebina49
    random, but check this place out while you're in dc:

http://www.busboysandpoets.com/
    I hve heard great things about Busboys!!! Thanks for the tip.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Traitor... Here you are in Michigan, and now you’re moving to DC! Just kidding. Good luck with the new job!
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Quote Originally posted by Vlaude
    Pack some heat??? Not to be a downer but the crime there is horrible, and seems to be getting worse??? I dunno just guessing by what I hear in the media. D.C. has a lot of great places though. Good Luck. Sorry I don't have any great advice. Have some family in Baltimore so I visit the area time to time.
    I know you were joking, but it is unlawful to possess, acquire, or bring into D.C. any handgun which was not registered as of Feb. 5, 1977. Packing heat is not a good idea.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I recommend looking around U-Street (on the green line), which I guess is near Columbia Heights. That area has some great architecture and history and is gentrifying quite quickly. Also look in Silver Spring, MD..that area is improving as well.

I love Bethesda, but its really expensive there.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 19
    Last post: 18 Oct 2010, 1:54 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 16 Dec 2009, 4:22 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 12 May 2008, 11:11 AM
  4. Newbie needs information, advice Please
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 26 Jan 2007, 3:16 PM