Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New condo = own place = dog!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

New condo = own place = dog!

The GF and I both want a dog and have for the entire time we have been together, but have not because my old place would not permit dogs. (You could have 10 cats, but no dogs) Now we are permitted to get one medium size dog 25 pounds or so, but bigger is permitted with permission from developer whom is a dog lover. Of course we would want to get a puppy so we could train it, take it to obedience classes and raise it correctly. I have been looking at Irish Terriers because they are semi to fully hypoallergenic (I think that is the word) active, social, and the right size for our pet. Oh and they are great for crate training. Only downfall is the only breeder that I can find is about 11 hours from here in the middle of Missouri!

More so, I know that cyburbians are dog lovers... (well other than that Dan guy), so what suggestions do you have? Road Trip, find some other breed, go mixed breed, or other.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Don't go to a breeder, get a rescue dog instead!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Agreed go down to your local shelter and find your best friend dont go to a breeder when so many wonderful animals are given up and killed every day.

I have had 3 dogs and all are rescue/pound dogs all three are 'special needs" and have been worth every moment of it. Well OK taking 2 years to house break the beagle even with a crate was hard
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    My only worry about a pound puppy is I have to be careful with the type of dog I get. The hypoallergenic type is the only type that does not put me in the hospital with an asthma attack. Often times they are not 100% sure of the breeds in the mix. Additionally, some breed traits are not visually noticeable until the dog gets older.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Go to a shelter and get a rescue dog.

As for the crate training and keeping a dog in a place without a yard... I'll stay out of the thread.

Post pics when you get the little tyke.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Mike, if your that allergic, you may want to rethink a dog. Anything with hair is going to drive you crazy.

On topic: I agree with everyone else, rescue a dog. You may run into just as many problems with a dog from a breeder (especially here in the middle of MO, there are SO many puppy mills in rural Missouri, definately check it out well).
    Good luck...just don't forget how much time, attention and love a dog really needs especially after sitting in a crate all day alone in a small apartment...he/she is going to be WOUND up by the time you get home from work, and this now means you have to come straight home from work, no hitting the gym first, no stoppin for cocktails, etc...(OMG, when did I turn into such a MOM?????? Oh maybe it was the 2 kids and now the 2 dogs.... )

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    You can find a breed-specific rescue organization. I agree, get a rescue dog. We got a wonderful English Setter from a Lab rescue group. I don't think we could have done a better job raising a dog from a puppy.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    Mike, if your that allergic, you may want to rethink a dog. Anything with hair is going to drive you crazy.
    Actually, many of the smaller breeds produce much less dander (which is the allergy-inducer, not simply the length of hair)

Here is a list of dog breeds that would be good for the allergic from this website: http://dogs.about.com/od/dogbreeds/a/hypoallergenic.htm
    What coat-type makes the difference?
    There are two coat types that produce a lesser amount of allergens: single-coated dogs, who do not have a thick undercoat, and hairless dogs. However even hairless dogs can produce enough dander to to affect a highly allergic person.

Hair-less Dog Breeds
    Xoloitzcuintle (Mexican Hairless)
    American Hairless Terrier
    Chinese Crested (Hairless)
    Peruvian Inca Orchid

Some of Single-Coated Dog Breeds
    Chinese Crested (Powder Puff)
    Poodles (all sizes)
    Schnauzers (all sizes)
    Portuguese Water Dog
    Bichon Frise
    Soft-coated Wheaten Terrier
    Coton de Tulear
    Kerry Blue Terrier
    West Highland White Terrier
    Bedlington Terrier
    Last edited by mendelman; 26 Jul 2006 at 5:32 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Agreed if your that allergic to dogs then look into the chinese hairless dog. Yup those UGLY funky dogs that cost a fortune from a breeder are truly about all that is honestly safe per my athsma doc. You can try a poodle or Water dog like Dan has they shed LESS but its the dander that gets ya.

For a small place like you are getting try a bird or a hairless cat
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    ...try a bird...
    No, No....brids for pets are the Devil's invention.....yuck.

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra

On topic: I agree with everyone else, rescue a dog. You may run into just as many problems with a dog from a breeder (especially here in the middle of MO, there are SO many puppy mills in rural Missouri, definately check it out well).
    Good luck...just don't forget how much time, attention and love a dog really needs especially after sitting in a crate all day alone in a small apartment...he/she is going to be WOUND up by the time you get home from work, and this now means you have to come straight home from work, no hitting the gym first, no stoppin for cocktails, etc...(OMG, when did I turn into such a MOM?????? Oh maybe it was the 2 kids and now the 2 dogs.... )
    You are so right Jaxspra. If I had to do it all over again, I would not have got our dog. He is home alone for 10 hours a day and when we get home, our attention goes to the kids not the dog. I really feel bad for him because he gets nowhere near the exercise he should and when he "acts out" I know its because he just wants attention.

M'skis....I'm not sure if you've ever had a dog, but I would seriously consider how it will affect your life. Things like what to do with the dog if you want to travel. Can someone watch it. Are you going to board it. What if you want to make a day trip somwhere? Will the dog be OK by itself for the entire day.

I love dogs, but mine is a bigger pain in the ass than my kids, and he's a very well behaved dog. Think hard before making the decision!!!
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2004
    My sister is highly allergic to all pet dander. She has a standard poodle, and hasn't had any problems (going on 6 years now). Poodles, though, do require more grooming - and while you may think you can do it yourself, it's a pain in the rear to shave a poodle!

I also strongly recommend going througha rescue group. Check online for a rescue group that is for the breed you want - for example, Terriers only, and some can be specific enough to be Irish Terriers only. Rescue/breed groups are a great way to get what you want, specially when you have specific needs/conditions. All 3 of the dogs in my family were found through breed rescue.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    Don't go to a breeder, get a rescue dog instead!
    I agree with you. Why doesn't STAN ever listen to you ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Dogs are social animals. Does not matter how long you have been gone, they are thrilled to see you when you get home again. I want a dog so I can go running with him in the morning, he can come with us to the beach, we can bring him with us to visit family, and just a good addition to the family. I will check with several local shelters to see of they have any of the breeds that I am looking for.

I grew up with a dog whom had to be put down after almost 14 years when I was in college. Additionally the GF and I for the most part are on opposite schedules, so the dog would not be home alone all that much.

Additionally, Cats are evil.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Is that why you kill so many of their young?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2006
    All I've ever had are pound puppies. But, with the weight limit you could run into problems, since you plan on getting a puppy. When I was little my family got our first dog, a puppy from the pound that everyone, including the vet, thought was a beagle. My parents wanted a housedog, but he just kept growing and growing. He was a mutt, but we think he was some kind of coonhound. He got too big and had to become an outdoor dog.

Usually the best pets are those that find you. Eventually you'll probably know of a dog who needs a home, and you'll know who the parents are and all. My inlaws have had countless good dogs, and they never paid for any one of them. They all just kind of ended up in their lives, some abandoned near their home in the country, some from friends whose dogs had puppies.

Registered
    May 2003
    I want a dog so I can go running with him in the morning, he can come with us to the beach, we can bring him with us to visit family, and just a good addition to the family.
    Be careful with a male. They can be more aggressive and larger and will want to mark your house (interior, in your case). We have a female lab that is on the small side (65 lbs.) and is much less aggressive than a male and doesn't need to mark everything. But since you are limited to 25 lbs. max, the size thing probably won't be a problem.
    Off-topic:
    Hey...every cat I've known was perfectly nice. I don't understand the more prevalent dislike for cats than dogs. When was the last time a pet cat barked for hours?

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman
    Off-topic:

Hey...every cat I've known was perfectly nice. I don't understand the more prevalent dislike for cats than dogs. When was the last time a pet cat barked for hours?
    Thanks for the info... change to She and Her...

As for cats Eyes swell, breathing becomes difficult, sinus pressure builds, and the damn thing coughs up a hair ball in my shoe!

Besides, dogs are stupidly happy. They almost always like their owners. Hence the...
    “I’m a happy dog! I’m a happy dog! I’m a happy dog! I’m a happy dog! Dog food, my favorite! I’m a happy dog! I’m a happy dog! Dog Treat, my favorite! I’m a happy dog! I’m a happy dog! I’m a happy dog! DID YOU SAY WALK! I’m a happy dog! I’m a happy dog! I’m a happy dog! GRRRR BAD CAT GET AWAY! I’m a happy dog!”

Cats... well sometimes they are just there for a roof to sleep under.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Most terriers breeds tend to be VERY active, and I wouldn't recommend them for an apartment. The only exception would probably be a Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier, are single-coat, non-shedding "hypoallergenic" breed. Really, there's no such thing as a truly hypoallergenic dog, but the non-shedding breeds are much better for people with allergies than those with shedding coats.

I've got two Portuguese Water Dogs -- Maiser met mine -- and although they're non-shedding, I wouldn't recommend them if you don't have a yard and long straightaways inside the house where they can run. PWDs are a working breed, and genetically a close cousin of the Poodle.

PWDs are ... uhh, well, IMHO, they're worth the money. Wheaties are less expensive, but still not cheap. Most PWD owners have two of them; they pretty much need the constant companionship of another living creature. I don't know if Wheaties are as needy. Both top off at about 60 pounds. Just say they're 25 kilograms, and you might be able to get away with it.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    A dog really could change your lifestyle; not as much as a baby, but similar. As mentioned before, you have to be home to feed it and take it out. (Glad I have a big fenced back yard and just open the door to let her run).

Travel plans? It's tough. You have to haul them along in your car and find a pet-friendly motel (then do you leave them in the crate while you're away from the motel all day?). You have to keep stopping to walk them. Don't ever assume your family or friends will be happy to have you bring your dog. They may dislike dogs, not like the mess, worry about interactions with their dog or kids. If you decide to board your dog, you have the expense and the worry of finding a good place, taking time off from work to drop the dog off/pick it up, etc.

I say wait until you and the GF settle down and start a family, you'll be home a lot more then anyway, and then get the dog.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    My boss is still trying to convince me to adopt a Rottweiler—he and his wife even offered to dog-sit when I’m out of town. I have a large enough yard but I live alone and I don’t think it would be fair to the dog and it would tie me down.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    See what Dave Ramsey has to say about the cost of owning a dog versus the Debt Snowball within the homely confinds of the Total Money Makeover.

Do what you will, Skis. Owning a dog hasn't changed my life too profoundly, but I also own a (new) house in Sprawlville, CO (yes, I am on my way to Planner's Hell...) with a yard and a dog door.
    Of course this dog door is only used to exit the house and deficate (lazy ass mutt), but she likes her walks (when her lazy ass owner decides to go).
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    My boss is still trying to convince me to adopt a Rottweiler—he and his wife even offered to dog-sit when I’m out of town. I have a large enough yard but I live alone and I don’t think it would be fair to the dog and it would tie me down.
    I haven't heard this one before. Isn't that like owning a 200-lb pit bull? Oh, you just want my cats to "disappear", don't you???

BTW, "that man" and his wife seem to travel a lot. So if you had to board a dog, remember, the price usually increases with the size of the dog. Ruh-roh, Astro!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by cch
    All I've ever had are pound puppies...
    That's what we have. 35 pounds of fury. Until we got him neutered for free.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Web page for terrier rescue divided by breed ==> http://www.terriersonline.com/rescue.shtml
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 02 Feb 2010, 7:20 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 22 Jan 2008, 2:32 PM
  3. Condo v. House
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 73
    Last post: 18 Apr 2006, 6:19 PM
  4. Replies: 14