Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14

Thread: Application Blues 2006-2007

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by bdhumphreys View post
    I also finally got the call from MIT (CDD) yesterday and received Vale's letter today. Very excited to be accepted (I had all but given up hope). I hope to see some of you all at the Open House next month.
    Yay!
    Congratulations to you too! I think acceptances come only after you have given up ALL hope!

the task of choosing is a tedious one: i think by the 1st of april all of us will know our status! I still haven't heard from Cornell about financials: so wondering whats up with them, but they send letters by registered post, and not international courier

final list:
    yeas:
    (no money) - LSE, UCL, UMich,
    (some money) - Harvard, MIT, Cornell (promised in the grapevine)

nahs: Berkeley (via evil email)

(god i over-applied)

Choosing between Harvard, LSE, MIT (and Cornell if exceptionally seductive financial package only)

Registered
    Jan 2007

financial aid

Quote Originally posted by millenniumhand View post
    financial aid info from Penn earlier this week
    i was wondering when and how people found out about their financial aid from Penn, MIT or Rutgers. I got into all of those programs, but the financial aid information hasn't arrived. it seems like others have received it and i'm hoping that the tardiness of this information doesn't mean that i don't have any. yikes.

should i start contacting these folks if i don't hear soon?

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Domo-kun View post
    Steve Weston sent an e-mail last night with financial aid information, and I am very impressed with the amount of aid offered. I hope that all of the rest of you receive similar good news.

(At the same time, it makes my decision for next year much, much harder.)

Yup... I was also very pleased with the offer for my first year. I had to check my pants after reading the offer for the second year.
    What luck! A random assemblage of words never sounded less intelligent.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2006
    Quote Originally posted by crikee View post
    i was wondering when and how people found out about their financial aid from Penn, MIT or Rutgers. I got into all of those programs, but the financial aid information hasn't arrived. it seems like others have received it and i'm hoping that the tardiness of this information doesn't mean that i don't have any. yikes.

should i start contacting these folks if i don't hear soon?
    Crikee,

I just received the Rutgers offer this weekend. However, I was told last week that they would start the first round of offers on Friday and continue through the coming week. So, no need to email them just yet!

Quote Originally posted by ninad View post
    Yay!
    Congratulations to you too! I think acceptances come only after you have given up ALL hope!

the task of choosing is a tedious one: i think by the 1st of april all of us will know our status! I still haven't heard from Cornell about financials: so wondering whats up with them, but they send letters by registered post, and not international courier

final list:
    yeas:
    (no money) - LSE, UCL, UMich,
    (some money) - Harvard, MIT, Cornell (promised in the grapevine)

nahs: Berkeley (via evil email)

(god i over-applied)

Choosing between Harvard, LSE, MIT (and Cornell if exceptionally seductive financial package only)

Ninad,

What are your thoughts regarding LSE? And what program did you apply to? I keep going back and forth between LSE MSc City Design and Social Science and Berkeley. I'd love to hear what you think about LSE since it is in your final schools for consideration too.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by philgal View post
    Ninad,

What are your thoughts regarding LSE? And what program did you apply to? I keep going back and forth between LSE MSc City Design and Social Science and Berkeley. I'd love to hear what you think about LSE since it is in your final schools for consideration too.
    philgal, I applied to the Geography department, for the MSc Urbanization and Development course. I have been speaking with the HoD Gareth Jones, and he seems to think LSE has the most opportunity in the world after MIT, in terms of resources of people and even future jobs.

I have a friend who studied in the City Design and Social Science course, about 2 years ago (or was it 3?) and she was not at all happy with the course. Apparently, the classes were not very good, faculty were not very well prepared, and the overall experience was bad enough that the students took out a procession demanding their money back (I kid you not!) which they didn't get. Apparently, they were given an official letter of apology by LSE

Having said that, I do know that the Cities Programme is at the center of all urban aspirations of the LSE, and I have heard hat they have really really cleaned up their act, and the course is supposed to have radically improved now: unfortunately, I don't know anyone else who took that course afterwards.

What I would really suggest is that you try and reach some students who are in that course now, and speak with them directly. That will give you the best idea.

My problem with the LSE is personal: they are giving me *no* money: I am waiting for some British Government money to be announced, ad the college itself has no RAs or even too many jobs to offer, and I do need my education subsidized

best luck for your choice!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by philgal View post
    Ninad,

Perhaps you can try some social networking site like orkut/facebook to contact students there?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2004
    ninad - just curious, why is Cornell on the outs?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Rumbach View post
    ninad - just curious, why is Cornell on the outs?
    oh, thats pretty simple: I come from a crazy wild city, and cannot really imagine living in a non-urban situation now. Ithaca is supposed to be really beautiful, and I also have some friends there, but given the choice between city life and town-gown life, I would pick a city any day.

The CRP course at Cornell is quite strong, and two people I know there are very happy with the course: they merely had to figure it out for themselves what they wanted to get out of the degree, but don't we all have to do that at some point?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2004
    oh, thats pretty simple: I come from a crazy wild city, and cannot really imagine living in a non-urban situation now. Ithaca is supposed to be really beautiful, and I also have some friends there, but given the choice between city life and town-gown life, I would pick a city any day.

The CRP course at Cornell is quite strong, and two people I know there are very happy with the course: they merely had to figure it out for themselves what they wanted to get out of the degree, but don't we all have to do that at some point?
    Makes sense. I've been living in big cities for years, so Ithaca was a bit of an adjustment (though a great place to be a student, honestly, financially, socially, and in other ways). CRP is a very strong department, lots of money/opportunities, but there is a bit of "find your own way" to the cirriculum, which can be frustrating during a 2 year degree. On the other hand, the flexibility is pretty great - I take classes in the Law School, Government, and Dev't Sociology, all top programs. I think MIT has a similar flexibility.

Perhaps you can try some social networking site like orkut/facebook to contact students there?
    Thanks for all the details about LSE and suggestions.

I'd love to be in London, but I've been talking to some people and have some reservations about the academics in the program, similar to what you mentioned.

Best of luck with your decision!

+ Reply to thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 13 14

More at Cyburbia

1. Application blues?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 190
    Last post: 07 Jul 2007, 1:29 AM
  2. 2006 - 2007 Smack Talk Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 15 Dec 2006, 10:03 AM