Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Atlanta and Pedestrian Rights

Atlanta and Pedestrian Rights

I've written a simple, somewhat naive blog entry on education and enforcement around pedestrian rights in the crosswalks in Atlanta. While many people may assume that the lack of compliance is due to Atlanta's renowned autocentricity, I really haven't seen a whole lot of difference in this regard between Atlanta and most East Coast cities. I think the campaign I'm proposing here could apply to a great many US cities and states.

The URL is http://larryfeltonjohnson.typepad.co...rosswalks.html

Larry

Yes, Atlanta stinks for pedestrians, then again so does Buffalo, NY and especially it's burbs.

Los Angeles has walk/don't-walk signs at all (traffic lighted intersection in the city - 30K plus. (Exceptions being fire stations and a few where short distance between lights negates the need). All burbs here also have these at most lights.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Larry,
    Do you think that the signage is the issue? I know here in my city the signage is terrible.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Living in ATL I can say that yes it is a horrible place for peds. I have lived in other East Coast cities and think that they were much friendlier to its peds. Much of the reasoning deals with lack of enforcement, roadway design, general urban design, segregation of uses, and autocentricity. Good luck on your campaign, we need people like you to bring this issue more focus. You may want to try and team up with PEDS (Pedestrians educating drivers.....something something). They are an advocacy group that also brings notice to this issue.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Larry Felton Johnson
    I really haven't seen a whole lot of difference in this regard between Atlanta and most East Coast cities.
    In Boston there is tremendous respect for crosswalks. The police frequently use undercover officers posing as pedestrians to catch drivers who fail to yield. Pedestrians there can often cross a street unimpeded without even pausing to look for vehicles. Drivers are very attuned to peds. Part of it is the sheer numbers of peds out at all hours of the day and the narrower and slower streets.

     
    Registered
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally posted by jmello
    In Boston there is tremendous respect for crosswalks. The police frequently use undercover officers posing as pedestrians to catch drivers who fail to yield. Pedestrians there can often cross a street unimpeded without even pausing to look for vehicles. Drivers are very attuned to peds. Part of it is the sheer numbers of peds out at all hours of the day and the narrower and slower streets.
    I noticed this while on vacation in Massachusetts back in May, and I was very appreciative of having motorists automatically stop for us when we approached a corner! You folks in Massachusetts certainly know how to enforce your laws; I saw one of those "sting" operations go down in Plymouth, where a plain-clothes officer was nearly clipped by a motorist on his cell phone and another officer in an unmarked cruiser parked nearby put on his lights and pulled the driver over for his offense.

While in Salem, we were stopped waiting for a line of traffic to pass us by. Car after car zoomed by in each direction, and then a woman in a Blazer slowed and stopped and let us pass, saying out the window "We're not all ignorant!" with a chuckle. I was very appreciative of how friendly people were in Massachusetts in general, especially in Provincetown, my personal favorite!

It was a drag to come back to Pennsylania where I was just running and was bumped by a motorist who illegally made a right turn on red without yielding first to pedestrians in the crosswalk. Naturally, I spewed out a few choice words for the idiot elderly driver, and hopefully they'll LOOK the next time before making a right turn on red. What if I had been a child or a person in a wheelchair instead of a healthy runner? It seems as if Pennsylvania has just cornered the market on mental midgets! LOL! I don't know of too many brilliant people here in the Scranton area, and it's a shame because our region has so much to offer!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 03 Jul 2011, 11:17 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 04 Apr 2008, 4:49 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 25 Sep 2007, 6:14 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last post: 04 Jun 2007, 3:56 PM
  5. Replies: 16
    Last post: 04 Dec 2006, 6:09 PM