Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Hello from DC!

     
    Registered
    Jul 2006

Hello from DC!

Hello everyone! Just thought I'd introduce myself - I'm a recent grad of William & Mary, working for the federal government for a year before law school at Penn...I'm looking to apply to their MCP (or maybe MHP) program for the joint degree in the fall (I've done the GREs, rockstarred them, now just need to send in apps).

I got interested in urban planning because I moved a lot as a kid and ended up eventually in a very blase suburban community, which led to my discovery of Duany/Plater-Zyberk and Kenneth Jackson etc. I ended up writing my thesis on suburban subsidies and socio-economic development in northern virginia in the 1930-2000 period...basically, my focus/interest lays in coping with urban growth and finding ways to reinvest in urban/inner suburban communities rather than continually expand development.

anyways, it'll be a pleasure getting to know you all and i've really enjoyed all that i've read thus far on the page.

Registered
    Jul 2006

Welcome

Quote Originally posted by jonadams
    Hello everyone! Just thought I'd introduce myself - I'm a recent grad of William & Mary, working for the federal government for a year before law school at Penn...I'm looking to apply to their MCP (or maybe MHP) program for the joint degree in the fall (I've done the GREs, rockstarred them, now just need to send in apps).

I got interested in urban planning because I moved a lot as a kid and ended up eventually in a very blase suburban community, which led to my discovery of Duany/Plater-Zyberk and Kenneth Jackson etc. I ended up writing my thesis on suburban subsidies and socio-economic development in northern virginia in the 1930-2000 period...basically, my focus/interest lays in coping with urban growth and finding ways to reinvest in urban/inner suburban communities rather than continually expand development.

anyways, it'll be a pleasure getting to know you all and i've really enjoyed all that i've read thus far on the page.

Welcome to Cyburbia and your chosen field, as well. Just keep on posting.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome from the Florida panhandle. Ignore that noise you hearing coming from NW Ohio. It's just a Bear looking for a new place in the woods.
    Good luck with your studies.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome from the Hoosier State along the Ohio River.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Welcome from a NoVa planner
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Welcome from Chicagoland!!!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello, from Irving, TX!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

     
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    Welcome from a NoVa planner

whaaaaaaaaaaat? there's planning in nova? I'm moving out of Fairfax to DC in a couple weeks- a never-ending sea of opulence and automobiles is nice, but not my cup o' tea.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Lol there is some planning in NoVa, mostly in Arlington but the states horrid problem with being ate up with Dillons rule makes life as a planner very very very hard. I stick mostly to housing now.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Mar 2004

Greetings....

From Western Namibia....er....make that Arizona
    Listen to RJ.....someone that likes drinking w(h)ine and swimming and planning in that order can't be all that wrong
    Skilled Adoxographer
    I have two emotions....Silence and Rage

Registered
    Jul 2004
    whaaaaaaaaaaat? there's planning in nova? I'm moving out of Fairfax to DC in a couple weeks- a never-ending sea of opulence and automobiles is nice, but not my cup o' tea.

Yes, young fellah- there is some planning in nova:

http://www.epa.gov/dced/arlington.htm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...042702144.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit...ed_development

http://www.arlingtonva.us/NewsReleas...asp?Index=1969

     
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Man With a Plan
    Yes, young fellah- there is some planning in nova:

yeah, true, arlington and alexandria do well...but i was thinking more along the Fairfax/ Loudon/PWC/etc lines...it seems like every attempt at smart growth gets stymied with concerns over price/taxes/etc

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Welcome from NW Ohio. See the Bear. See the Bear run. See the Bear run down to the Florida Panhandle and mess with RJ's pool. See RJ dance the dance that so many have danced when they messed with

The Bear.

Welcome, again. We really do play nice.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Welcome from Minnesota.
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

Registered
    May 2005
    Welcome from the other side of the river, Maryland!
    "A man is what he does in his dreams." ~Camilla Sacci

BANNED
    Registered
    Mar 2006

Greetings

Pleased to meet you. I have spent quite a bit of time in DC.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Welcome
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Greetings from someone moving to DC.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Closed thread