Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Closed thread

Thread: Hello from Louisville, KY

Registered
    Jul 2006

Hello from Louisville, KY

I live in the Portland neighborhood of Louisville, KY. I have resided here for about 46 years. I have seen changes good and bad--but it is my home. I am the mother of five children--and grandmother of five grand daughters. My adult children remain in Portland.
    I went back to school at the age of 40 and received an Associates in Office Systems Administration.
    I volunteer for many different things in my neighborhood and although I was never much on history--I have turned myself around and find that my neighborhood history is really interesting. I have become an advocate of preservation which is important to our community.Currently, I am the Chair of our preservation alliance.
    I started my volunteer activities by becoming an officer on our neighborhood association in 2001 and kept officers positions until I resigned in 2005. I am currently an active volunteer for our neighborhood history museum and have been learning about collections and what it takes to run a museum. I also was one of four women that created an exhibit about the women--past and present--of Portland. I do a little bit of everything for the museum where ever I am needed.
    My health doesn't allow me to be as active as I would like to be--but I do what I can.
    I am very wrapped up in the neighborhood and really believe that it will come back to what it used to be--but it is going to take many people working together for the common good.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome from the Florida panhandle.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome, maryturner, from a Louisville (Shively) native. My grandmother was born in Portland. My family all lived in the West End. The ones that remain are in the eastern part of town, now. I need to tour Portland the next time I'm in town.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    welcome from new orleans!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Greetings

From Western Arizona.....the hot part Keep up the good work in your neighborhood
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Welcome, from the City of Brotherly Love!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Welcome from NW Ohio. Glad you are here. Nice people inhabit these regions.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Welcome from Minnesota.
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 26 Sep 2013, 4:36 PM
  2. University of Louisville
    Student Commons
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 12 Jul 2007, 4:20 PM
  3. Hello from Louisville, KY
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 8