Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Hunter College incoming/present graduate students

Registered
    Jul 2006

Hunter College incoming/present graduate students

Hello to HC students,
    I was curious if you could introduce yourself and maybe put down your schedule. I'll start...
    I'm from Flushing, Queens, graduated from the University at Albany in May. So far I'll be taking, Intro to Urban Planning, Transportation Planning, Environmental Planning, Urban Data Analysis, and Physical Planning - Waterfront. Thanks.
    Hopefully we can meet up sooner or later.
    - Chester

Registered
    Jul 2006

Prospective Hunter student

Hi Chester,

I'm applying to Hunter for Spring '07 and am curious if you have any tips for me as an applicant. I spoke with Professor Milczarski on telephone and he told me to write a 600 word Personal Statement instead of 300... probably since I am switching from nearly 6 years as a scientist/Materials engineer to Planning. Anyway, did you visit Hunter? What are your impressions of it?

Thank you and I'm looking forward to your reply.

Cheers,
    Payal

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Hello Payal,
    I'm glad to help you out. I spoke with Professor Milczarski in March, right before I applied to grad school. He told me the most significant and distinctive aspect in your application is your personal statement. The number of words in the letter was a little different from when I applied, but you definitely need different people to read and revise it. I've had my personal statement read at least 10 times with maybe five different people. Your desire to change professions and interest of planning is crucial in your essay. I visited to Hunter a few times since registering and the main campus is three buildings in the Upper East Side. The Urban Affairs and Planning department is growing at least in graduate students and occupies half the 16th floor of the West building. The professors is comparable in number and of former practicing planners as Rutgers, and has a very good network of opportunities for internships and jobs. Hunter is a very good program and seemingly as comparable in quality of education as other NYC planning programs.
    Good luck on applying and if you need any help on anything else don't hesitant to ask.
    - Chester

Quote Originally posted by Magnetica
    Hi Chester,

I'm applying to Hunter for Spring '07 and am curious if you have any tips for me as an applicant. I spoke with Professor Milczarski on telephone and he told me to write a 600 word Personal Statement instead of 300... probably since I am switching from nearly 6 years as a scientist/Materials engineer to Planning. Anyway, did you visit Hunter? What are your impressions of it?

Thank you and I'm looking forward to your reply.

Cheers,
    Payal

Registered
    Nov 2005
    I will be there Thursday nights for Intro to housing and another core class that I can't recall right now. I am attending pt, cause I can't go any other way. Hope I'll see you around. I have been working in non-profits and city government for the past 7 years. Will focus on transportationa and housing.

Matt

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 159
    Last post: 28 Apr 2011, 10:05 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 03 Jun 2009, 9:04 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 30 Sep 2008, 10:39 PM
  4. Hunter College M.U.P.?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2