Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: MTA (NYC) and bus rapid transit (BRT)?

Registered
    Nov 2005

MTA (NYC) and bus rapid transit (BRT)?

So I have been following the planning of the BRT system that will be put into place in the near future with 5 test routes.
    http://www.mta.info/mta/planning/brt/projectupdate.htm

While I am not a BRT expert, it seems that these new lines are just enhaunced express buses, and will have little change in the climate here if a few things are not done:

1. Dedicated lanes that are blocked from car traffic
    2. Pre-paid boarding
    3. Right of way/Green lights
    4. Need highway/expressway access.
    5. All are routes within the one Borough.

Any thoughts if the BRT will actually improve the NYC transit.

Thanks.
    Last edited by shishi; 28 Jul 2006 at 4:06 PM.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by shishi
    Any thoughts if the RBT will actually improve the NYC transit.
    It's BRT not RBT, and of course it will improve NYC transit. If you look more closely at the corridor studies (http://www.mta.info/mta/planning/brt...s/bx_ford.pdf), the recommendations include exclusive peak-hour bus lanes, signal priority, specialized stations and other amenities.

I wish Boston and other US cities would finally get on board and implement some of these features (the surface portion of the Silver Line consists of nothing but broken promises).

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I'm curious which of the 15 will be selected as demonstration corridors... Seems that the cross-borough ones would look best on paper (because some of the others parallel subway lines.) However, I know that some of those subways are over capacity, so it might be better to start there.

Also, I noticed that most of the lines will not have 100% dedicated ROW... I'd be interested to see how that turns out given NYC's propensity for gridlock, even during off-hours.
    What luck! A random assemblage of words never sounded less intelligent.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by njm
    Also, I noticed that most of the lines will not have 100% dedicated ROW... I'd be interested to see how that turns out given NYC's propensity for gridlock, even during off-hours.
    As a bus rider, I can tell you: anything is better than the status quo. Any improvement in speed and reliability is worth it.

Registered
    Jul 2006

Right of Way

BRT will work to the extent that space is given over exclussively to bus transit. The Flatbush Ave route could be really efficient if all the dollar vans and double parkers are moved out of the way. The route would pay for itself in recovered driver productivity in no time.

Quote Originally posted by Nicolo Macchiavelli
    BRT will work to the extent that space is given over exclussively to bus transit. The Flatbush Ave route could be really efficient if all the dollar vans and double parkers are moved out of the way. The route would pay for itself in recovered driver productivity in no time.

Has any place in the US actually created a 100% exclusive bus transit line? I know Boston's silver line is a disaster (I live along it). There are some parts of it where there is an exclusive lane, but cars travel and double park in it. Other parts of the line have no exclusive lane (where the traffic is the worst!). I believe LA's new line has a lot of street crossing.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup
    Has any place in the US actually created a 100% exclusive bus transit line?
    Pittsburgh has one that follows an abandoned rail line that is exclusively for buses.
    http://www.ridegold.com/grow/capital...sway/index.asp
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by njm
    That is my worry. NYC drivers are pretty bad and enforcement is a huge joke.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Bus rapid transit in Detroit
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 25 Jan 2012, 1:13 PM
  2. Rapid transit around the world
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 06 Oct 2011, 10:48 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 21 Aug 2008, 12:39 PM