Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Grad School Q's

  1. #1
    Member
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    berkeley, ca
    Posts
    16

    Grad School Q's

    Hi All,

    Trying to get prepared for grad school and was looking for some opinions on several issues.

    "They" want 2 letters of reference and one from a college instructor...
    I could ask, but is this really strict about a college instructor, if so I don't know what my instructor would say assuming I can find one from 6 years ago?

    statement of intent or purpose...
    I am interested in urban planning havn't had any exposure any ideas how to state a purpose from a position of ignorance?

    Any thoughts on grad school in general as a mode of career change?
    Internships are important is stated a lot..anything else?

    Poorly stated q's but I am being rushed off...any advice is appreciated ina advance

    Brian

  2. #2
    Cyburbian The One's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Where Valley Fever Lives
    Posts
    7,949
    Blog entries
    1

    Try this.....

    Ask the department head for the reference, that's their job. I would first take the time to visit them and let them know what you need. Good Luck.
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

  3. #3
    Member
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    berkeley, ca
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    Ask the department head for the reference, that's their job. I would first take the time to visit them and let them know what you need. Good Luck.
    I ask the department head of my major at my alma mater, really? What can they say about my scholarship? That's I guess what throws me off? The people I work with now all know more about my abilities and are professors at universities or have PhDs, they just were never my professor. Well I'll see about the dept. head. Thanks

  4. #4
    Cyburbian njm's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Highlight of the lowland
    Posts
    322
    I suggest you read the threads in the Student Lounge, where this thread really belongs. There's plenty of grad school discussion there.
    What luck! A random assemblage of words never sounded less intelligent.

  5. #5
    Cyburbian Jeff's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Mr. Cool Ice
    Posts
    4,163
    I'm surprised they actually want a ref from college, being that you've been out of school for 6 years. I just applied, and it was 3 letters (from whomever).

    I was spending alot of time on the personal statement, I havent written an "essay" per say in years, and was really freaking out about it. If you look online, lots of services to help, etc....they're all geared towards Ivy Leaguers and Med Schools...I asked my admissions counselor straight out if the essay meant anything. She say point blank, NO. We just want to hear what you career objectives are, dont put too much effort into it....and with that, I sent them what I had.

    Good Luck!

  6. #6
    Member
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    berkeley, ca
    Posts
    16
    Ok, career objectives that helps as does at least someone else thinks that refs from a college proff seems odd, and the stament of purpose is something one might well stress over, thanks.

    To those it may concern: I didn't put this in the student lounge bcuz I am aiming for a different demographic and am not a student and havn't been one for a long time and being 34-- "student" I just don't identify with.

    Quote Originally posted by Jeff
    I'm surprised they actually want a ref from college, being that you've been out of school for 6 years. I just applied, and it was 3 letters (from whomever).

    I was spending alot of time on the personal statement, I havent written an "essay" per say in years, and was really freaking out about it. If you look online, lots of services to help, etc....they're all geared towards Ivy Leaguers and Med Schools...I asked my admissions counselor straight out if the essay meant anything. She say point blank, NO. We just want to hear what you career objectives are, dont put too much effort into it....and with that, I sent them what I had.

    Good Luck!

  7. #7
    Super Moderator kjel's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Wishing I were in Asia somewhere!
    Posts
    10,507
    Blog entries
    5
    Quote Originally posted by ginzu
    Ok, career objectives that helps as does at least someone else thinks that refs from a college proff seems odd, and the stament of purpose is something one might well stress over, thanks.

    To those it may concern: I didn't put this in the student lounge bcuz I am aiming for a different demographic and am not a student and havn't been one for a long time and being 34-- "student" I just don't identify with.
    Before making a blanket judgment of not putting this thread in the Student Lounge or even checking there before posting here....let me tell you that many of us that applied to grad planning programs were not straight out of undergraduate school and 23 years old. The great thing about planning is that there is no one single demographic that it draws from.

    The thread "Application Blues" has a lot of good advice about letters of intent and letters of recommendation which are needed regardless of being 23 or 53. My incoming class this fall at Rutgers is a broad range of people from undergraduate degrees ranging from German, Visual Arts, Engineering, and Political Science, and the age range appeared to be from 26 to 40 so you are most certainly not out of place.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

  8. #8
    for me, my easiest part of the app was my statement, lucky me i guess. on advice from others, it seemed the most important was to detail what it was/is that attracts you to the profession, what you hope your contributions to be etc., and even if you have little exposure to the field of planning, somewhere along the road you had exposure to elements that are of interest to planners--social phenomenon, the built environment, etc. what prompted your career change?

  9. #9
    Cyburbian Greenescapist's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,169
    I went back to school after being out for six years, too. I got in touch with an old professor and went in to meet her. She remembered some of my work. I explained what I wanted to do and she did it. I think they are used to being contacted out of the blue. Any nice professor will do it. They were at that stage once themselves.

    Quote Originally posted by ginzu View post
    Hi All,

    Trying to get prepared for grad school and was looking for some opinions on several issues.

    "They" want 2 letters of reference and one from a college instructor...
    I could ask, but is this really strict about a college instructor, if so I don't know what my instructor would say assuming I can find one from 6 years ago?

    statement of intent or purpose...
    I am interested in urban planning havn't had any exposure any ideas how to state a purpose from a position of ignorance?

    Any thoughts on grad school in general as a mode of career change?
    Internships are important is stated a lot..anything else?

    Poorly stated q's but I am being rushed off...any advice is appreciated ina advance

    Brian

  10. #10

    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally posted by ginzu View post
    To those it may concern: I didn't put this in the student lounge bcuz I am aiming for a different demographic and am not a student and havn't been one for a long time and being 34-- "student" I just don't identify with.
    Well if you go on for graduate studies you WILL be a student my friend, whether you're 3 or 93. So you just have to re-identify with the student in you!

    I also am applying after being out of undergrad and working for nearly 6 years, and I asked some of the advisors at the schools where I applied, whether I imperatively need a recommendation from an instructor. They said it wasn't imperative because I'd been out of school for quite a number of years. In general, 5 years is long enough to be past the "at least one recommendation from an instructor" requirement.

    If you feel that your bosses, colleagues, etc know your work most, then get letters from them. It's completely acceptable. Good luck!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Grad school low GPA
    Student Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 Jun 2012, 2:22 PM
  2. Grad school now or later?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 03 Aug 2008, 1:17 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 28 Jul 2006, 1:53 AM
  4. Replies: 20
    Last post: 31 Dec 2003, 1:19 PM
  5. Grad school
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 Apr 1998, 12:05 AM