Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Geography Emphasis: Global Studies or Urban Planning?

Registered
    Jun 2006

Geography Emphasis: Global Studies or Urban Planning?

I'm at a point that I need to quickly make a key decision in my future: do I go for the Geography major that will seriously lighten my coursework or do I take classes that are more directly applicable to my future job as a city planner?
    The core classes are the same, like GIS and map interpretation. Also, does it really matter which one I choose? Does internship experience matter more? Are certain cities going to be bias towards one emphasis or the other?
    If it totally does not matter, then I could go with Global studies, which has less classes. Then I could work as an intern at the same time. But if I go for Urban Planning, then I'd have to wait on the internship and just take lots of classes.
    Either way, I know I want to be an urban planner.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The answer may really depend on the quality of the internship you get. coming right out of college, potential employers will look at your coursework. They may question your global studies emphasis and wonder if you have the knowledge to take on urban planning functions. This is even more true if your internship was only tangentially related to planning or if it did not give you much practical experience. On the other hand, if you have had a good internship, it will wiegh more heavily than your courses. The best answer? Bit eht bullet and do both the internship and the heavier class load for urban planning.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    What does your actual degree say though?

I have a BA: Geography thats all it says, all any transcripts say.

Nobody will ever know that I took the Planning Tract as opposed to World Geography or GIS tracts.

A solid internship or part-time job during shcool (in the field) does wonders. Alot of planning agencies hire clerks, copy guys, etc....see if you can get a part-time job while in school. I did that, and had my foot in the door 2 years before I even graduated.

Best o' luck.

Registered
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the feedback.
    The different titles are:
    B.S. Urban, Rural, and Environmental Planning
    or
    B.S. Geography: Global Studies Emphasis

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Jan 2013, 3:14 PM