Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: UVA? Anyone?

UVA? Anyone?

I've been checking out the posts for some helpful hints regarding potential grad programs. One program that I've not seen much on that I'd like to know more about is UVA's Masters in Urban and Environmental Planning. Is this the only one that so explicitly ties in environmental concerns, or is that just their way of distinguishing themselves?

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I suspect your latter conclusion but if you check out the curriculum, faculty expertise and associated depts and compare them with other schools you will get a feel for how they rate relative to other programs. I would say the big one is with what school, dept, or faculty are they associated with? Some planning programs will have biases towards some fields based on their parent dept or faculty.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Oh Yeah....

I've worked with "good people" that went to UVA They also seem to have decent faculty (mostly IVY league types):

http://www.arch.virginia.edu/faculty/TimothyBeatley/

Beatley is a star in the planning arena.....me thinks......

At $36,000+ clams a year for out of state tuition/fees/living expense.....you might think about going in state....unless you live in Virginia now?

Also: UVA provides (upon request) the largest Master's Degree I've ever seen....co-worker had a framed degree that was at least 3 feet by 2.5 feet in size....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2006
    Tufts has an excellent Urban Policy/Environmental Studies Master's program that seems to mirror UVA's and Tufts also has excellent faculty involved with urban planning research in that dept.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I'm a UVA Grad-albeit 17 years ago

Tim Beatley was great, Dr. William Lucy was great (probably retired by now??)

They had a strong program in environmental negotiation/mediation.

Strong point: Good location, beautiful campus, flexibile program, strong environmental focus, access to great architecture program courses.

Negatives: less emphasis on "practical" nuts and bolts planning, smaller city environment.

Yeah, those were pretty much the advantages of the program as far as I could tell. Not sure how to tell which programs ARE good from the practicality standpoint, however- I get what you mean, but are there telltale signs and/or reliable reputations for such things?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by AObie View post
    Yeah, those were pretty much the advantages of the program as far as I could tell. Not sure how to tell which programs ARE good from the practicality standpoint, however- I get what you mean, but are there telltale signs and/or reliable reputations for such things?
    Look at the alma maters of planners in the State(s) you want to work in. Plus, practical experience comes with age and time, anyway. Look for a program whose professors are interested in topics you are interested in. I didn't go to Penn, for example, because all the professors were interested in computers in planning and third world issues.

+ Reply to thread