Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Online Degrees

Registered
    Dec 2001

Online Degrees

Has anyone persued an online degree?

My reasons for persuing are simple:

I don't have the time to sit in class.

So, I looked into some onlin programs, I'm on the fence between a Masters in CE or LA.

Some schools are accreditted, others aren't. Some require GREs some don't. Some cost alot, some don't.

So basically what I'm saying here is.....would you bother taking a $300 a class Masters program which is not accredttied by the Department of Ed, and has pretty much a work at your own pace schedule?

Or would you enroll in a Univ of Tennessee or Iowa for $2000+ a class, but they are accredditted, and will consume alot more of your time?

     
    Registered
    May 2003
    I have an uncle who is taking classes online at U of Phoenix. he's pretty satisfied with it. I would suggest to go only to an accredited institution. It is going to be a lot more work, but there's a reason schools do not have accreditations.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    With some degrees I might not be that concerned, but with a technical field like LA or CE, I'd go with the accredited version.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I am pursuing my Bachelor's degree online, after falling in love with the online classes that helped me get an associate's degree, thereby "locking in" those old credits.

I had looked into going to college at every single place my husband had been stationed, but, with 2 years college under my belt already and the fact that big infantry bases do not tend to coincide with big universities, I was S.O.L every time. I had resigned myself to the likelihood that I would not be able to return to college until hubby retired and that is largely why I decided to just get an associate's and "lock in" my old credits. I was very concerned that he would retire, I would try to go back to college and be told "Those credits are over 20 years old. You have to start over from scratch. We can't give you transfer credit for them."

But with taking 2 online classes, I thought "THIS is the The Answer!" I got my associate's in May 1999 and applied to a bachelor's degree program over the summer and started in the fall. Online programs are a lot more flexible and it has been very accomodating of the fact that I can't go every quarter. I, personally, find that online classes tend to be more rigorous than other classes because they do not give you any credit for simply showing up, on the assumption that you are absorbing all those pearls of wisdom by sitting in class. You have to show that you learned the material. But I have found that it works better for me because the time I would have spent driving to class can be spent reading the material instead, etc.

Anyway, traditional college was not going to work for me. Programs aimed at adult learners with jobs are increasingly common, with alternate schedules. Gee, adults with jobs have money. They aren't there looking for a scholarship, an "experience", and to get drunk at some frat party. So it is a market the colleges are beginning to really accommodate. Also, there are a lot more "non-traditional" students these days. So, it is a growing market, much more so than the 18 to 22 year old crowd of "traditional" students.

The program I am in is at the "youngest" of the UC campuses. I think that is part of why they have a good program. I went looking for an accredited program and one of my criteria was that they had a good website, with solid info. I saw a lot of "online programs" where you couldn't get much info online and I felt that if my main means of interacting with them would be online, then I needed to feel they could meet my needs through that and not have up a website that said "e-mail us and we will send info" or "call this number" or whatever. I have no regrets about choosing the program I am in.

Feel free to PM me, or e-mail me, if you want to talk more about this without me droning on and boring everyone else to tears.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Michelle raises a good point Mike - you're not going to meet the hot drunken co-eds if you take an on-line degree

I have a couple of friends with LA Masters. Neither of them are in the field, and were both unhappy with the program. I'm not sure if it's a function of the program, the industry, or just them personally. I agree with Cardinal - if you're going for something even vaguely technical like CE or LA, you're best to get something accreditted.

For MBA's I've heard good things about the University of Edinburgh's on-line degree. If anyone has any experience or knowledge regarding credible (not necessarily accreditted) Masters of Public Administration programs, I'd like to hear from you.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Ditto what Tran said, I'd love to know of any online planning upper level planning degrees. I heard a rumor Penn State was going to offer one soon, but that was years ago.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    If anyone has any experience or knowledge regarding credible (not necessarily accreditted) Masters of Public Administration programs, I'd like to hear from you.
    The University of Colorado at Denver has a good - and accredited - program.

http://www.cuonline.edu/acad_htm/program_mpa.shtml

Do nothing unnacredited with either of those degrees -Think competitively and go for the Uni. It will suck as far as time but in the end way worth it. Online Uni classes would be cool, but for a CE degree you're going to have to be in real time working with other people a lot -depends on your project(s). It would be sweet to have a CE degree!

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I keep toying with the idea of doing an online course as well. However, I think I need face to face contact with a professor in order to do well and keep on top of the class. Aside from MZ, has anyone else taken an online course?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    My fiance works for UOP and is also getting his MBA through them- it's great from what I see. I'm seriously looking into it because with all the night meetings I have, and knowing the local University has profs that take attendance and to get a Masters in Planning I have to be a full time student, it would be the only thing I could work into my schedule.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Michelle raises a good point Mike - you're not going to meet the hot drunken co-eds if you take an on-line degree

If anyone has any experience or knowledge regarding credible (not necessarily accreditted) Masters of Public Administration programs, I'd like to hear from you.
    Oh, yeah, you are right: I had that so backwards. Thank you for correcting my faux pas.

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but it is an online degree with CSU Bakersfield -- Master of Science in Administration:
    MSA

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by The Irish One
    Do nothing unnacredited with either of those degrees -Think competitively and go for the Uni. It will suck as far as time but in the end way worth it. Online Uni classes would be cool, but for a CE degree you're going to have to be in real time working with other people a lot -depends on your project(s). It would be sweet to have a CE degree!
    I know but heres the deal....I'd like an LA degree so I could persue that license and do all my Landscape Plans personally and not have to deal with anyone else.

I'm eligible to sit for the PE exam in 4 years (based on experience and no CE degree reqs). Persuing a CE degree would only be for 1. Resume, and 2. Help with those subjects on the PE that I never deal with, i.e. structural, wood, concrete, electirc, etc.

Penn State has an on-line graduate certificate in community development. Kansas State has an on-line degree in environmental planning (but I'm pretty sure you have to be in-state to get into the program).

Other wise there are not any on-line degree programs in planning as far as I know.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Originally posted by OhioPlanner
    Penn State has an on-line graduate certificate in community development. Kansas State has an on-line degree in environmental planning (but I'm pretty sure you have to be in-state to get into the program).

Other wise there are not any on-line degree programs in planning as far as I know.
    I researched this very topic in the spring of 1999. The only Master's in Planning program that I found which was at all compatible with distance learning is at USC's Sacramento Center. They have a weekend, condensed program where you go to school all day for 2 or 3 weekends per class. They have students from Texas to Thailand that fly in to attend class a couple of weekends a month and work independently the rest of the time.

I am presently pursuing my Bachelor's in Environmental Resource Management through CSU- Bakersfield. This is an online degree and I think it is excellent background for planning. Most environmental studies programs grew out of "earth sciences" or geology departments. This is under an Economics department and is an interdisciplinary degree, with classes in Law, Economics, et al in place of some of the upper division science classes that you would normally find in an environmental studies degree. They do offer a 4 class certficate to folks who already have a degree.

But I know of almost nothing at the Master's level in this field or related to this field that is online. There are some things that are in the works, but they seem to have been in the works for a long time, with no real results. I am thinking some college in Colorado is supposed to be trying to develop something online that piqued my interest but maybe it is more in the field of engineering and, again, it seems to be slim pickings and taking forever to get together.

However, online classes and programs have changed a lot in the time I have been taking them. So, it is possible that something has been develped in the last 4 years.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I am moving bookmarks and tripped across this link for what is supposed to be an online Master's of Engineering in GIS degree program. It was not a complete program the last time I looked at it and I do not have the time to investigate it now (whatever bookmarks do not get moved will be lost when our old service ends):

http://thunder1.cudenver.edu/megis/

Registered
    Jul 2006

Online Degrees

I think online study has really boosted my morale. Most people prefer face-to-face tutorials in a classroom but as far as I am concerned, I feel this is not only a great opportunity as a mother, but a real chance to learn and acquire new learning skills online. It's very convenience for nursing mothers - this being the reason why I have enrolled in several distant learning colleges.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Are there any online planning degrees?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Kobayashi
    Are there any online planning degrees?
    Iowa offers one.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

How well are online planning degrees received by employers?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmmmmm......

I think being in the class is a big plus, because you also tend to hear all the other questions raised by other students......does this happen with online questions....if so, that part of my concern would go away..... Certain classes need a lecture or twenty for the point to really get delivered. Its like the difference between trying to learn ArcGIS from the stock manuals or being in a class....there's a big difference to me.....but that's just me.....

Bottom line is, if someone gets what they need fromt that kind of training and can do the job, then it can be a good way to learn.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jul 2003
    There is another thread with the exact same title. I have no idea if the mods will want to merge the two. I am mentioning it because I don't feel like re-inventing the wheel. I've given my 2 cents worth before: http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9521

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    There is another thread with the exact same title. I have no idea if the mods will want to merge the two. I am mentioning it because I don't feel like re-inventing the wheel. I've given my 2 cents worth before: http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9521
    Moderator note:
    Good catch MZ.

Threads merged.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I will start persuing an MS in Evironmental Mgt online this fall @ University of MD-University College. It is an accredited institution and I was pretty impressed with their program and I'm going to give it a shot. I'll you guys know how my first semester goes.

http://www.umuc.edu/grad/envm.shtml

Registered
    Aug 2006

Academic in the UK

I've spent a lot of time looking at online programs, and I would say that UK programs club American programs like steel pipe to baby seal. Check out the University of London's external programs. They're top-notch, about $10,000 (despite the pound) cheaper than anything I've seen in the States, and they're affiliated with the University of London. It may be snobbish to say, but I would think a diploma branded University of London carries more clout than one branded University of Phoenix.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ahh....

Quote Originally posted by CharlatanUK
    I've spent a lot of time looking at online programs, and I would say that UK programs club American programs like steel pipe to baby seal. Check out the University of London's external programs. They're top-notch, about $10,000 (despite the pound) cheaper than anything I've seen in the States, and they're affiliated with the University of London. It may be snobbish to say, but I would think a diploma branded University of London carries more clout than one branded University of Phoenix.
    You must not have been reading the Economist for the last five years.....Englands Higher Education System has been in a economic shambles for a long time...... What you speak of seems to be a hold over from many years back.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Online master's degrees
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 03 Aug 2010, 11:53 AM
  2. Online degrees: are they worth it?
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 12 Dec 2008, 2:43 PM
  3. Are online MUP degrees held in high regard?
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 12 May 2008, 3:21 PM