Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Alumni Associations and Planners

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Alumni Associations and Planners

I was wondering if anyone was very active with their alumni associations, (if so what school did you go to), and if you had met other planners in the association?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2004

Not much....

I update my profile info every few years for the alumni association and have attended one event since graduation (UNC Bears/Colo. vs. FAU football game in Ft. Lauderdale), but that was for undergrad. I've only updated my profile for graduate alumni in the past....never heard of any get togethers....but I might be interested....

I've never given money, but might consider it this year, only if it goes directly to the Geography Department or Planning.......
    Skilled Adoxographer

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm a member of the Texas State University Alumni Association... at least I was unless I forgot to renew...

The university holds an alumni reunion every year around homecoming. In the spring the geography department holds its own alumni reunion--which has higher attendance than the school-wide alumni reunion held around homecoming. I guess that is what happens when a geography alumni donates several kegs for the geography event.

I've only met planners at the geography event--never through the regular Alumni Association.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I was in my alumni association for one year after graduating, but I didn't get anything from it.. totally not worth the cost. So, I never renewed. Now I wish my school would stop finding where I live and stop mailing me crap, trying to get me to give them more money, like I didn't give them enough while I was there.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    The University of Illinois Alumni Association is very helpful. Members get access to an Alumni Association Member Database. The database is very helpful for finding jobs, internships, school recommendations, geographical area information, career info and other stuff. I owe my current job to contacts I made on the Database. Access to the Database is definitely worth the $15 a year.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Famous alumni from your alma mater
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 19 Nov 2012, 4:10 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 16 Nov 2008, 1:40 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last post: 02 Apr 2008, 12:49 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 03 Oct 2007, 12:48 PM