Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Heat Is On

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

The Heat Is On

I considered placing a post in the RANDOM WEATHER THREAD, but I figured that this isn't really a weather question that I am asking.....it is more along the lines of understanding how we cope with the weather.....personally and in our business environment.

Hot Weather - Yuck.....This Bear is not a big fan of hot weather. I will tolerate it for a while, but you won't catch me retiring to the land of RJ, ZG, or The One.

Coping At Home.....Yes, we have air conditioning in a house that was built in the 1920's. It is not very effective for the upstairs bedrooms but works fine for the main floor and the basement (otherwise known as the "land of the messy step kid").

We do not have a pool.....although this string of 90-plus days is not quietly encouraging Katie to drop "pool" hints.

Coping In The Vehicles.....My Toy truck and Katie's Honda are both air-conditioned. We are spoiled. (My Toy is only the second vehicle I have owned in my life that had AC.) (About 25 cars and trucks. )

Coping At The Workplace.....My office has AC. But.....I am only in the office for about 50% of the time. The rest of the time I am on the plant floor. It is very hot on that plant floor. It is not air-conditioned.....and you would be hard-pressed to find a factory or warehouse in this part of the country that does have AC.

Here are some of the extra steps we take for our employees who are working in that very hot environment.....

Special Hours - We are bringing in 1st Shift an hour early (6:00 AM), eliminating at least one HOT hour during the afternoon.
    Gator Aid - We supply Gator Aid for free during these HOT days and strongly encourage employees to "drink up".
    Extra Breaks - We allow extra work breaks, in the air conditioned Plant Lunchroom.
    Fans, Etc. - Sure, we have a lot of fans in really hot areas.....but in this heat it just moves hot air around.
    Huge Ceiling Fans - Our warehouse has about 10 HUGE ceiling fans, 40 feet in the air, taking warm air out of the building. Those fans operate early in the morning.

Even with all of these efforts, our building is very hot and uncomfortable. Fact of life. I promised the employees that the building will feel like it is air-conditioned.....in December through February.

How about you? I would assume that MOST Cyburbians are in air-conditioned offices. How do you cope?

What say you?

Bear At 12 Seer
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I just got a reverse 911 call reminding me to stay indoors and drink lots of fluids.

Considering the city's large Jewish population, there's a Jewish mother joke there somewhere.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    .... How do you cope?

What say you?

Bear At 12 Seer
    Sleep in an air-conditioned house. Drive to work in an air-conditioned pick-up. Work in an air-conditioned office. Drive home in my air-conditioned pick-up to my air-conditioned home and then jump into the pool and …..

….develop calluses of the calm sipping on margaritas.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Sleep in an air-conditioned house. Drive to work in an air-conditioned pick-up. Work in an air-conditioned office. Drive home in my air-conditioned pick-up to my air-conditioned home and then jump into the pool and …..

….develop calluses of the calm sipping on margaritas.
    Hey, one of those is MY margarita!

Almost everything in FL is air-conditioned; with the exception of some garages/lube places, a few manufacturing facilities, and some beach-side restaurants. We just go from a/c to a/c, as RJ said. We even have floor fans for the patio when we're sunning....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Hey, one of those is MY margarita!... We just go from a/c to a/c, as RJ said. We even have floor fans for the patio when we're sunning....
    Off-topic:
    Should I post the image of you resting on the lounge chair in a bikini on the colorful towel sipping a margarita by the pool? Wait, after my description, nobody needs to see it, do they? (There. They. Go. Again.....).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    spent a lot of time in the bottom of a manhole today where it was a good 20 deg cooler.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon
    spent a lot of time in the bottom of a manhole today where it was a good 20 deg cooler.
    You are so politically incorrect. It's called a "personhole."
    So, you work in the sewer, Norton?

edit: some Cyburbians cool off at the pool with a margarita.
    sorry, made a mistake.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 31 Jul 2006 at 10:21 PM.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    At home, I've kept the AC on much more than in years past. I've put on a few pounds over the past year and have had more company over, so I couldn't do the old strip down to next to nothing and sweat it out method of copeing. Plus my girlfriend is a complete wuss when it comes to hot weather.

At work, it's a brand new office tower and many complain that its too cold. But they're mostly women who have on less clothing than me. I have to wear dress slacks, long sleves and a tie while they can get away with open toe shoes (officially a no-no but so many women do it that it's come to be accepted), short skirts and short sleve blouses. I'm not complaining about that... afterall, the temperature does seem to be set at a point that is comfortable for those of us dressed a bit more formal.

The commute to work... This is where is gets rough. I walk 3/10th of a mile to the train station and then another 2/10th of a mile at the other end to the office. The trains are air conditioned but the stations aren't. So if the train isn't pulling into the station when I get there, I'm going to sweat. I don't bother putting on the tie until after I get to the office. One trick that I've started using is to put my undershirt in the freezer the night before. It doesn't stay cold very long but I think it gives me a few extra minutes of coolness that makes the difference between a little dampness in the underarms and the sweat factory that is Marlon Brando in a wool suit in the desert. I have a fan on my desk that I turn on when I get in. It usually take about ten minutes to cool me down enough for me to go put on my tie.

Oh, and before anyone asks, putting my underwear in the freezer crossed my mind for about two seconds before the whole line of thinking grossed me out.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Uh, I live in in northern Maine - a heat wave is when we sustain the high 80's for temps, which is what we have right now...

I do have AC in the car and at work, fans in the windows at home - what is tough in the summers up here is the humidity (hence AC) - nothing dries, everything you touch is wet and gets moldy quickly, especially if you are in the woods not far from the Sound so the wind carries the ocean to you like we are

it's funny about the heat and where you live - my daughter is going to a camp that people send their kids to from all over the country - so this girl is walking around in a sweatshirt and sweatpants and says "I'm freezing", the girl next to her is wearing a tank top and the shortest shorts you can wear and says back "where are you from?" and the girl answers, "Atlanta" and the other girl says "Oh, that explains it" and they just kept walking -

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Considering the city's large Jewish population, there's a Jewish mother joke there somewhere.
    I am sure Mel Gibson can help you with that...

On topic: It's been pretty hot down here the last few days. The walk home yesterday was pretty tough. I was dripping in sweat after a few blocks. But, if you take it slow (and stop walking like a Bostonian), you don't sweat as much. But, like Florida, almost all of the businesses and homes here are air-conditioned. Although playing tennis and softball in this heat has not been fun. We have a heat advisory today (the first since I've been here). It was already 83 when I came to work and it is expected to top out at 97. I feel bad for those without a/c. There is a significant number of very old shotgun homes in the poorer neighborhoods down here where the tenants have no option but to hang out on the porch hoping for a breeze.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I spent a few hours last night installing the window AC into the new place. It made me nervous how it is just sitting on a bracket 6 stories in the air.

Once installed, we turned it to 60 degrees with high fan... should be nice and cool once I get home.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    How hot is it? So hot I actually looked forward to coming in to work, just for the AC.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I hate having to walk the dog in this heat!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Our local news station (hooray.) did a short fluff piece on 'frying an egg outside it was so hot'. I didn't actually see it, but I understand they actually fried on egg on a metallic surface in direct sunlight. The heat index put the temp over 100
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I know it's going to be a hot hot day when I walk out the door at 8 AM and I already think it's too hot to be outside. When it's hot before 10 AM here in New Jerz it's going to be a long hot day... no relief in sight.

Oh and all the fish died in the town fishing hole

The lying S-bag of a mayor says it's natural, due to the lack of oxygen b/c of the heat, but the residents in that area say the town sprayed for the plants last week (the town posted signs to stay away) and it sounds like maybe it was laid on too thick.
    @GigCityPlanner

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Bah... its always hot down here during the summer. You yanks need to toughen up! I was remarking on the pleasant weather in Ohio while up there because it was 90 versus 98 degrees in Texas.

In all seriousness I have sympathy for those of you up north in the heat--I know many people up there are not equiped to handle such hot weather (no AC, etc.)

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    A hot wind brought brought clouds and cool over night. Had the new window unit on for a bit yesterday, about 7:30 we turned it off and opened windows.

About 4 this morning a COLD wind blew into the bedroom prompting me to close the window and get annother blanket.

But I might be in the wrong thread...

ducks.... runs....
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Oct 2000
    - DH and I usually work off hours, but since one of our vehicles doesn't have AC, I sacrificed an hour and we drove in together in the van.

- Lots of swimming in the IL's pool. My 2.5 y.o. told us yesterday that he was a little fish, like Nemo.

- Even at 5am today, before the sun even came up, it was like running in soup this morning. My dog was really feeling it, so I stretched out our warm up and cool down.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    High of 84 degrees...in the Sacramento Valley in mid summer....plus it's a dry heat. Had to put a blanket on the bed last night. Bwahahahahhaha

(It's supposed to warm up by the weekend )

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I have no idea how hot it is here. Its just hot...between 95 and 101 it makes no difference. You walk outside in Missouri and you a dripping wet. I took the boys to 6 Flags yesterday, might be one of the stupidest things I have ever done. They were dripping sweat before we even got inside the park. We had a blast though and spent a lot of our time in the waterpark....

My office is freezing, I have on a skirt and sleeveless silk tank (don't forget its over 100 outside) and now I have a sweatshirt on my legs and a hoodie over my top. Yes, its that cold in here....

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    My office is freezing, I have on a skirt and sleeveless silk tank (don't forget its over 100 outside) and now I have a sweatshirt on my legs and a hoodie over my top. Yes, its that cold in here....
    That's how it is around here too - in the summer it is hot outside but freezing inside; in the winter it is freezing outside, but sweltering inside. You can never dress comfortably enough.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    That's how it is around here too - in the summer it is hot outside but freezing inside; in the winter it is freezing outside, but sweltering inside. You can never dress comfortably enough.
    I have a window open in my office (thank God for an office built before 1980 with opening windows) just to have some warmth in here, my mouse hand was starting to seize up.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    What is everyone doing to say cool? I now have AC in my condo, but the building is still 100+ degrees.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    What is everyone doing to say cool? I now have AC in my condo, but the building is still 100+ degrees.
    Lay on the couch, turn on the fan and move as little as possible.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    What is everyone doing to say cool?
    I'm taking a speech class - that and I just practice repeating "cool cool cool cool..." alot. I'm still having trouble with the hard 'K' sound - almost like it's too gutteral. Other than that, people generally understand what I'm trying to say, though.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. When do you turn on the heat?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 43
    Last post: 01 Nov 2012, 1:17 PM
  2. Article about urban heat islands
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 17 Jul 2012, 1:01 PM
  3. Walkability heat map