Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Grad programme reputations - This is the right place for this question

Registered
    Jul 2006

Grad programme reputations - This is the right place for this question

Hi... I'm rather new to Planning and am actually switching from being a scientist in magnetics to Planning! I'm quite interested in post-disaster planning, particularly internationally. I posted this here because I'd like the perspective of folks already in the field, especially because they would make hiring decisions for entry level Master's grads.

I'd like to know whether I ought to attend schools that have a Master's programme with an international bend, or will a good planning programme provide me with avenues outside the local arena so I can intern/work with NGOs/UN/etc?

Particularly, I'm interested in recommendations for schools on the West Coast - CA, CO, TX, OR, WA, and any others I've missed. The mid-West is also a possibility, but not the East coast.

How would I do job-wise, if I attend Cal Poly Pomona or San Jose State? Obviously if I get into Berkeley I'd do okay. Any thoughts would be tremendously helpful, especially the SJSU question... my husband is taking a job in San Jose and it would be ideal. I want to start in Spring '07 and unfortunately Cal Poly - San Luis Obispo doesn't accept students for that term.

Thank you all!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I really can't say that I know a good university for post disaster planning. From my work in that area, I would say that it helps to have a sound knowledge of municipal engineering. You don't need to be an engineer, just have a detailed understanding of infrastructure. Beyond that, I would think you are better off with the west coast schools - CA, OR, and WA - for access to NGOs and non-local contacts.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Thank you for the reply... I'm a little surprised about the NGO access comment... I'd have thought (and I was also told the same thing) that the East coast would provide easier access since the UN and several others are based in greater NYC.

In any case, I am glad to hear that studying on the W coast would not limit me in any way. A specific question I have is about the quality of the Planning programme at San Jose State University... any opinion/input on that school would really help since studying there would be an ideal because my husband will be working in San Jose.

Is SJSU known in the Planning field? Do they have a sound programme? Thank you again!

Registered
    May 2005
    This is something of a tricky issue, I think. In my experience, many US programs talk about planning in a different way than they do in the international development circles. Its not so much that they approach things differently, but that the terminology and even the issues they are dealing with can be quite disparite. An infrastrusture planning class might talk about curb radii and curb cut slopes for ADA compliance whereas the international development infrastructure class might be dealing with basic public health infrastruture in urban slums (like pit latrines and access to potable water sources).

One approach is to look at universities that offer dual degrees in planning and area studies. Here at the University of New Mexico, they offer a dual Masters of Latin American Studies and Community and Regional Planning. We have many excellent conenctions with other universities, institutions and organizations in Latin America and so many students are able to do field work there during their studies.

Just a thought...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2006

U of HI-Manoa

Thanks wahday! Sounds like you're spot-on with the "international" possibly meaning different things. I was checking U of HI-Manoa's dept/degree and sounds like they focus on Asia/Pacific Islands in addition to traditional planning.

Some India-Bachelor's educated planner friends I recently caught up with in Liverpool were saying similar things... they had a rather different focus due to different pressing issues, such as public health, infrastructure, etc, the lack of which makes a country fall under the "developing" tag.

My dilemma is now compounded!

Registered
    Mar 2004

Contact

Gilbert Fowler White at the University of Colorado Natural Hazards Center.

http://www.colorado.edu/hazards/

http://www.colorado.edu/prospective/...geography.html

The Geography Department has a hazards program that you SHOULD be interested in.

Good Luck.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jul 2006

Thanks!

Quote Originally posted by The One
    Gilbert Fowler White at the University of Colorado Natural Hazards Center.

http://www.colorado.edu/hazards/

http://www.colorado.edu/prospective/...geography.html

The Geography Department has a hazards program that you SHOULD be interested in.

Good Luck.....
    Thanks for the info... I'm looking into this programme.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 29 Dec 2011, 7:09 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 12 Sep 2008, 2:57 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 25 Oct 2005, 8:45 PM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last post: 14 Oct 2004, 9:16 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last post: 19 Jul 2004, 10:42 AM