Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Famous people and addiction

  1. #1
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Posts
    12,101

    Famous people and addiction

    Mel Gibson is only the most recent in a long line of Actors, Actresses, Rock Stars, and other famous people who have had some sort of alcohol or drug addiction. I was shocked to hear that Michael J. Fox had a drinking problem in the early 90’s! In reality, I think that Dakota Fanning might be the only person whom I know of who does not show signs of or has had an abuse problem with substances.

    Talking with Maister this morning about this, we both think that with that lifestyle it makes them more likely to succumb to addition of Alcohol and Drugs. What do you think?

    What other professions make people more susceptible to particular addictions? Do you think that Planners have any type of addiction that they are more susceptible to?
    Last edited by michaelskis; 03 Aug 2006 at 9:39 AM.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

  2. #2
          Downtown's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Under a pile of back issue Plannings
    Posts
    3,174
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    What other professions make people more susceptible to particular addictions? Do you think that Planners have any type of addiction that they are more susceptible to?
    I would say a disproportionate number of lawyers are alcholics. And Doctors are actually more likely to smoke. Most waitresses I've worked with were big smokers as well.

    Planners do love their Red Sharpie fumes.

  3. #3
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    17,680
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown
    I would say a disproportionate number of lawyers are alcholics.
    A friend who was in AA told me that the two professions with the highest incidence of alcoholism were 1. Lawyers and 2. Clergy. I wasn't surprised at all about lawyers, but was surprised a little about clergy. I guess when you think about it, though, it shouldn't be that surprising - they're around alcohol all the time with various events/functions. Plus people are always coming to them with their problems and expect them to have all the answers - those have got to be two prime ingredients right there.
    Last edited by Maister; 03 Aug 2006 at 9:46 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  4. #4
    maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Location
    Odd-a-wah
    Posts
    6,586
    It's when they move on from addition and start doing long division that it gets really scary...before you know it they are free basing fractals and shooting up trig. It's ugly, man, ugly.

  5. #5
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    It's when they move on from addition and start doing long division that it gets really scary...before you know it they are free basing fractals and shooting up trig. It's ugly, man, ugly.
    I know it's only 3 August, but it's going to take a lot for someone to top this reply.


    Don't discount the egos of the hyper-successful. That may be a key to thinking that they are above the high or the possible addiction.

  6. #6
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Posts
    12,101
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    It's when they move on from addition and start doing long division that it gets really scary...before you know it they are free basing fractals and shooting up trig. It's ugly, man, ugly.
    and when you toss in geometry, you're gone.

    *thanks for the heads up
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

  7. #7
          Downtown's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Under a pile of back issue Plannings
    Posts
    3,174
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    A friend in AA told me that the two professions with the highest incidence of alcoholism were 1. Lawyers and 2. Clergy. I wasn't surprised at all about lawyers, but was surprised a little about clergy. I guess when you think about it, though, it shouldn't be that surprising - they're around alcohol all the time with various events/functions. Plus people are always coming to them with their problems and expect them to have all the answers - those have got to be two prime ingredients right there.
    now that you mention it, i can totally see Clergy. I would think any high pressure job, really.

  8. #8
         
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    7
    Ok, but think about it, why do smokers or drinkers start drinking and smoking in the first place? Does it start out as something social then gradually turn into an addiction? I don't think you can say that the stresses of a job/career can get you Addicted especially since after the cigarette is done, and the bottle is empty, all the stress and the feeling they had comes back (after sobering up). I don't think anything can really cause it. Instead of either smoking or drinking, they could paint or play a physical sport or something. Just a thought.

  9. #9
          Downtown's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Under a pile of back issue Plannings
    Posts
    3,174
    Quote Originally posted by AmericanGuestHouse
    Ok, but think about it, why do smokers or drinkers start drinking and smoking in the first place? Does it start out as something social then gradually turn into an addiction? I don't think you can say that the stresses of a job/career can get you Addicted especially since after the cigarette is done, and the bottle is empty, all the stress and the feeling they had comes back (after sobering up). I don't think anything can really cause it. Instead of either smoking or drinking, they could paint or play a physical sport or something. Just a thought.
    I do think the addictions start socially and then turn into an addiction - when you stop turning to the substance as a social repast, and start turning to it as stress relief/stress avoidance. I don't think anyone is arguing that addiction is an effective form of stress management, but research has proven that people who are dealing with extremely stressful situations are much more prone to substance abuse.

  10. #10
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    17,680
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown
    I do think the addictions start socially and then turn into an addiction - when you stop turning to the substance as a social repast, and start turning to it as stress relief/stress avoidance. I don't think anyone is arguing that addiction is an effective form of stress management, but research has proven that people who are dealing with extremely stressful situations are much more prone to substance abuse.
    That and it appears certain segments of the population have a genetic predisposition towards addictive behaviors, that get unleashed when introduced to substances like alcohol.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  11. #11

    Registered
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,548
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Don't discount the egos of the hyper-successful. That may be a key to thinking that they are above the high or the possible addiction.
    Bingo. Most entertainers are pretty self-absorbed, no matter how nice they are.

  12. #12
    Cyburbian Wannaplan?'s avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gale Crater
    Posts
    2,845
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Talking with Maister this morning about this, we both think that with that lifestyle it makes them more likely to succumb to addition of Alcohol and Drugs. What do you think?
    Even regular folks have problems with substance abuse. Why single out celebrities and famous people? I know too many people who have ruined their lives because of silly addictions. I don't know what kind of sheltered world you live in.

  13. #13
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    17,680
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    Even regular folks have problems with substance abuse. Why single out celebrities and famous people? I know too many people who have ruined their lives because of silly addictions. I don't know what kind of sheltered world you live in.
    Everyone here probably knows of or has seen a situation where addiction has ruined someone's lives that they know personally. The reason celebrities and famous people get singled out is because they are famous and everyone knows about them - it gives folks a common referrent.

    Fame really is a double edged sword; on the one hand a movie star or pop star desires it because it fuels their professional successes (and also strokes their own egos), the dark side of it is that intimate details from their personal lives end up as stories in the entertainment sections of the paper or headlines on the cover of magazines.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  14. #14
    Cyburbian Tom R's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Akron
    Posts
    2,255

    addition

    Thank you from one who is mathematically impaired. Now if I could just beat the pun habit.
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    It's when they move on from addition and start doing long division that it gets really scary...before you know it they are free basing fractals and shooting up trig. It's ugly, man, ugly.
    WALSTIB

  15. #15
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    6,972
    I saw one study (albeit several years ago) that said Dentists had an extraordinarily high percentage of adictions and suicide. I guess that really wasn't tied to the stress of work, but the fact that nobody really likes to go there and have their teeth worked on.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  16. #16
    Cyburbian imaplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    Snarkville
    Posts
    6,587
    Quote Originally posted by Planit
    I saw one study (albeit several years ago) that said Dentists had an extraordinarily high percentage of adictions and suicide. I guess that really wasn't tied to the stress of work, but the fact that nobody really likes to go there and have their teeth worked on.

    Under that logic I would think planners would have an abnormally high percentage of addictions and suicides. Nobody likes to go to the planning department and pay money to be told they can't build what they want to.

  17. #17
    Super Moderator kjel's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Wishing I were in Asia somewhere!
    Posts
    9,632
    Blog entries
    5
    I used to work summers at the Oregon Health Sciences University and the worst lot of smokers were from the Dental School. At the end of every day the outdoor area they smoked in was covered with butts.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

  18. #18
    Cyburbian Tom R's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Akron
    Posts
    2,255
    Quote Originally posted by Planit
    I saw one study (albeit several years ago) that said Dentists had an extraordinarily high percentage of adictions and suicide. I guess that really wasn't tied to the stress of work, but the fact that nobody really likes to go there and have their teeth worked on.
    They're allways down in the mouth. (Somebody had to say it. I told you I was addicted.)
    WALSTIB

  19. #19
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    6,972
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R
    They're allways down in the mouth. (Somebody had to say it. I told you I was addicted.)
    Thank you Tom, I was waiting for someone to post that...
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  20. #20
    Cyburbian Big Owl's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Location
    near the edge
    Posts
    859
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    What other professions make people more susceptible to particular addictions?
    I once heard that there was a young lady in the Adult Entertainment industry with a substance abuse issue.

    I have always heard about painters having a drinking problem or was it a drinker with a painting problem. Someone once told me that "P" professions have a higher rate of alcoholism.

    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Do you think that Planners have any type of addiction that they are more susceptible to?
    I am addicted to driving my wife an family around to places i haven't been to look at big box design... the good, bad, and the really bad. but i am trying to quit but i'll do it tomorrow...

  21. #21
    I think Planners are addicted to ranting about things, this could also stem from the widespread addiction, in that Planners are hooked on hearing themselves talk.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally posted by Yorke790
    I think Planners are addicted to ranting about things, this could also stem from the widespread addiction, in that Planners are hooked on hearing themselves talk.
    That's why I'm thankful to be a preservation planner -- I can yell at the planner in the next office to turn down the tape of me talking 'cause I can't stand to listen to myself!

  23. #23
    Cyburbian Tom R's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Akron
    Posts
    2,255

    hooked

    Quote Originally posted by Yorke790
    I think Planners are addicted to ranting about things, this could also stem from the widespread addiction, in that Planners are hooked on hearing themselves talk.
    I've found that I get an adrenaline rush from giving developers etc. a hard time......and I like it!
    There's the saying:
    Argueing with a planner is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a while, one realizes that the PIG LIKES IT!
    WALSTIB

  24. #24
    Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor,Michigan
    Posts
    152
    I really think it is only the people who are weak at heart who have substance abuse addition problems. You need to be happy with yourself and what it is you stand for. A positive self esteem. It sounds simple but unfortunately, most people are not happy with themselves or they wouldn't be going through plastic surgery and using drugs and alcohol.

  25. #25
    Cyburbian imaplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    Snarkville
    Posts
    6,587
    Quote Originally posted by jringel
    I really think it is only the people who are weak at heart who have substance abuse addition problems. You need to be happy with yourself and what it is you stand for. A positive self esteem. It sounds simple but unfortunately, most people are not happy with themselves or they wouldn't be going through plastic surgery and using drugs and alcohol.
    I dont think that is entirely true.

    A nugget of wisdom from Otto:

    I don't need drugs to enjoy this. Just to enhance it!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 13 Apr 2012, 12:36 PM
  2. Replies: 28
    Last post: 18 Aug 2006, 11:02 AM
  3. New Addiction
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 13 May 2005, 9:09 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last post: 24 Mar 2005, 3:17 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last post: 29 Apr 2003, 10:20 AM