Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Reverse gender or racial discrimination in the workplace and life?

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Does reverse discrimination ever happen? I'm sure it does. Does regular discrimination occur 100 times more on a daily basis? I'm absolutely sure it does.

For example: It has been opined by more than one person I work with that the next Director of Planning and Ec. Dev (current one is retiring soon) will definitely not be a woman, because the current powers that be don't feel a woman can project the image they want for the position.

I worked for a small company of all women. It was awful. Part of it was that the lead consultant really didn't have a head for business. That's ok though - you hire someone who does and let them deal with it. When they did, she was double-guessed and treated rudely until she left. The level of micromanagement and distrust that went on was insane. Those of us at the admin support levels were dismissed and made to feel like rant amateurs, when we each had been doing this kind of work in the 'real world' for years. All I wanted was an estrogen-free zone for a little while. They had other consultants who were male but they were out of home offices. And when one of them did come it it was like a breath of air.

Yes, working for male bosses can have it's own challenges, but I have been lucky in that they have at least been fair and would meet you half way if you were prepared and knew your talking points. With women it's too emotional.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I have to say that I'm with Downtown and remain far more concerned (if thats the word) about regular good ol' discrimination instead of the possibility of reverse discrimiation.

Women still earn less dollar per dollar for the same jobs than men, African Americans still have higher unempoyment rates than White/Anglos, etc etc.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    At times, I will give a bit more attention to the population that typically would not get the kind of attention that a typical person w/o the "discriminatory" factors/features would get.

Recently, I had an experience that I haven't reflected upon and that I actually shrugged off until I read through this thread. And, I'd like to share it with you.

At a very rare family get-together, my cousin, A, remarked to her friend, B, (who is wanting to apply for teacher's college because what else can you do with a kinesiology degree?!) that I was going through teacher's college.

"Oh wow, that's great that you got in. It's so competitive to get in." B said.
    "Yes, I heard. It's crazy to think that the ratio of the applicants to the number of positions open in teacher's college is worse than that of law school or med school." I replied. (Yes, that's true here in Ontario.)
    "Ya," B responded and added, "But, I'm sure it wasn't so hard for you to get in."

At first, I gasped and remained silent. Then I meeked out, "I guess."

I couldn't believe a person who was a stranger just moments ago had the nerve to say that I got into teacher's college just because she could see that I wear hearing aids. Plus, I didn't want to make a scene here.

I guess she was insinuating that because, in her eyes, the fact that she learned that I am hard of hearing gave me an easy ticket into get into teacher's college.

However, I think there is something to be said that this B character didn't really know me and neither does my cousin A. I can honestly say that it took more than a disability ticket to get in. Extracurricular activities, volunteering, doing well in my undergraduate studies, doing a decent job on my personal aspirations essay, and etc would have all eased the administration of the teacher's college to give me a chance to take up teacher's college.

In hindsight, I think B discriminated me based on one fact and perhaps she was unhappy that she doesn't have an "easy" ticket to get into teacher's college and, thus, was berating the potentially "reverse discrimination" aspect of teacher's college holding a place for people with exceptionalities (not disabilities...which means there were spots held for the Aboriginal populations, people with disabilities, and recent immigrants).

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Well do you think that an extremely attractive and friendly female in her late 20ís with a phenomenal work ethic would be more likely to be hired as a receptionist than a pushy self indulgent middle aged out of shape mother of two and ex wife of three that does absolutely nothing while at work?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    Well do you think that an extremely attractive and friendly female in her late 20ís with a phenomenal work ethic would be more likely to be hired as a receptionist than a pushy self indulgent middle aged out of shape mother of two and ex wife of three that does absolutely nothing while at work?

Not necessarily.

My fiance is an extremely attractive and friendly female in her late 20's with a phenominal work ethic and she has been passed over multiple times in employment opportunities for pushy self indulgent middle aged out of shape mothers of two and ex wifes who do absolutely nothing while at work.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Well do you think that an extremely attractive and friendly female in her late 20’s with a phenomenal work ethic would be more likely to be hired as a receptionist than a pushy self indulgent middle aged out of shape mother of two and ex wife of three that does absolutely nothing while at work?
    Honestly, being "out of shape" should not disqualify anyone, male or female, from a job. Nor is it permitted to ask during interviews about personal life (married? kids?). Maybe Ms Pushy presented herself better during the interview?

You are implying that attractiveness should be a factor in hiring. How discriminatory is that? And p.s.: attractiveness is sooooo subjective; what one person sees as "attractive" may be a dog to someone else.

I thought I did not interview well for my current position. Later, I learned that my competition consisted of one guy who said he could not do field work because he's terrified of alligators, and another guy who, when asked what his weaknesses were, described his sinus problems. It was not reverse discrimination. I was just more normal than them.
    Last edited by Zoning Goddess; 03 Aug 2006 at 7:04 PM.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Then again there is discrimination against women that have been out of the workforce for a long time- if you havent got certificates to prove that you can do something, dont even think that you will get a job.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Oct 2000
    i don't understand the question.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    My question was more or less a statement of concern over... well... let’s just say our regular secretary (in title only, we wonder what she does all day) is returning from vacation and the Temp that we had was phenomenal and was able to do all the secretarial work in a much more time efficient manner with much better quality.

Maister and I will miss actually knowing that the notices are getting mailed out on time, things are getting filed appropriately, and that we don’t have to worry about answering the phone because of someone who is on personal phone calls more than 90% of the time.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2006
    At a previous job we had two minority women doing clerical work, then one was fired (she basically took maternity leave after her daughter was born 17 weeks pre-mature, even though the baby was in the hospital for a couple months, and never made arrangements go come back, or officially quit), so the government I worked for was desperate to hold on to the one remaining minority in the department, even though she truly could not do her job. I'm not trying to pigeonhole anyone, but it was obvious to all of us that she knew she was untouchable, but she really wasn't doing any work at all. It would take her all day to file a few plat maps away. Once she was eating some chips with mylars on her desk, and her supervisor asked her not to, and it exploded into a huge fight between them. This woman actually filed a grevience and got the NAACP involved. She eventually got transfered out to animal services, but she complained that the cleaning chemicals out there made her sick, so she was on paid medical leave for several months. Now I'm not sure where her story ended up.

I believe everyone should be treated fairly, and no one should be given special treatment when it comes to hiring. Who ever is best for the job should get the job, regardless of color, creed, gender, sexual orientation, etc.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 67
    Last post: 08 Nov 2012, 8:06 AM
  2. Mustaches and hiring discrimination
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 22 Dec 2010, 7:43 PM
  3. Replies: 20
    Last post: 27 Nov 2007, 11:47 AM
  4. Gender and racial makeup of urban planning