Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where do you get your books?

Registered
    Aug 2005

Where do you get your books?

do you purchase your own books? have someone purchase them for you? borrow them from the library? get them from/lend them to friends?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Friends lend them to me, ZG has purchased cookbooks off Amazon for me, and I purchase at Books-a-Million.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    library for the most part.

When I do buy them, I go to the used book store a few blocks from work.

We always check with friends to see what they have and routinely swap books back & forth among friends and family.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I get 99% of my books from the library, but ones I've just gotta have, like cookbooks or novels by favorite authors, I buy at Books A Million or online from Amazon.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

visit your favorite CBD in realtime...

we have 2 locally owned bookstores on the island so I only buy from them - if they don't have it, they order it for me - I'd rather give them my business!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    II patronize a couple of science fiction bookstores in Berkeley and now, the Mission District in San Francisco. I also like Diesel Books in Oakland.

I like architecture books, and I tend to buy those at William Stout Books in San Francisco or Builders' Booksource in Berkeley.

I like to SEE a book for real before I buy it, so I never buy online.

     
    Registered
    May 2006
    At school i have a bad habit of charging whatever book on the "Best Sellers" wall looks interesting to my student acount once or twice a week, only occasionally getting things out of the library. I like to keep books on my shelf like trophys. At home I go to Borders (gotta keep in number one non-downtown borders in the world) and occasionally a Barnes and Nobles

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Powells.com; or the actual Powells store if I'm in Portland.

Amazon gets a lot of their books from Powells anyway and its independant.

Or the local used book store for obsurities from another century.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I often borrow books from the library, but not as often as I should. Books are one of my greatest sinful indulgences and storage space has become a serious problem in my house as a result. It doesn't help that Mrs. Maister suffers from the same affliction and now we find ourselves beginning to buy Junior lots of toddler books too. That said, we economize as much as possible and seldom buy new books from Barnes & Nobles, Amazon or their ilk. Typically we buy our books from either the several used book stores in town or at library sales (local libraries are always unloading older books and I can't recall ever paying more than $2 for a hard-bound book at one of their sales)
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Sep 2001
    For reading a few independent books stores (sci -fi specialty shop, comic book stores, design specific store)

Collecting - use ebay

if anyone ever hears about a signed copy of heinlein's door into sumer let me know, that is my holy grail of books.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2003
    All of the above. I have made several orders from Amazon.com, I rent several from the library, borrow them from friends, and I am pondering joining a rental club at a local audio book store. (Like netflix but with audio books)
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Libraries are where I most get books to use.

I also look at books (and especially magazines) at Chapters and Indigo's.

Only a few times have I ordered books from amazon.ca.

What's this "Books A Million" that some of you speak of?

And, does anyone have any experience with abebooks.com?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Percentage wise the majority of my books come from estate sales/garage sales/rummage sales. The prices at these sales generally are so cheap that I'll buy anything that looks interesting. I've found some great books that I would have never thought to go out and specifically look for at a book store or online. Online shopping is great if you know what you want but in terms of browsing nothing beats the pleasure of finding a book you never knew existed mixed in with the typical fare found in the average American library.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    I'm always buying my daughter books. She's not even 2 yet, but she loves to read and look at books. It is her favorite thing to do. I get them from Walmart, or even random grocery stores most of the time. We do go to the library religiously every three weeks to get her a new batch, so she doesn't get bored (or maybe more so I don't get bored reading the same ones to her again and again). If I have something in particular in mind that I want to read about, I'll get books for myself from the library too, from time to time.

My husband and I buy a lot of books for ourselves off of amazon, but we occassionally go to Border's too. A family trip to Border's is our idea of friday night entertainment lately.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Depends on the book. Being a college student, I go to the school's highway robbery bookstore, collect the ISBN's and then search them out on bestbookbuys.com. Also asked for the extra copy of textbooks professors tend to have. Most usally gave them to me and I would pass it off to someone who was in the poorhouse like me.

For non-school books usually Barnes & Noble, which is our favorite "free" excursion out and about for my daughter and me. I tend to buy either what is on sale or on clearance and use my membership discount card too.

Bestsellers are cheaply bought at Costco or Sam's, they aren't bad for kids' books either.

Being from Portland, I almost always shopped at Powell's flagship store dowtown because they sold both new & used books and I could sell back books that I had purchased and read but did not like enough to keep. I shopped at their westside store occasionally, but it didn't have the same lived in feel or smell of the downtown store.

Another neat used book store was one a friend took me to in Philadelphia which is across from the Eastern State Penitentiary. I think it's called the Bookhave. Small, cramped, books stacked everywhere, the proper dusty/musty smell, the resident cat, and the excellent proprietors who know where EVERYTHING is.

I swap with friends occassionally, but most of my friends don't live in SC.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Books for me: library (not as much as I should), the local Half Priced Books, and if I still can't find it, Amazon.

Books-a-Million at the local outlet mall is okay, but I have a hard time finding stuff there - I don't understand their filing system. And they are always short-staffed, so it takes forever to get any customer assistance.

Books for others: usually Amazon.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Today, I picked up 6 books for under $20 at the tent sale on base. I haven't done that in a while. They show up a couple of times a year or something like that. Truly rock bottom prices, but probably all out of date books. Still, they are "new" to me.

Other places I have bought books in recent months: Waldens, Barnes and Nobles, Books-a-million.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2006
    I like going to Barnes and Noble, there are often great deals on the tables, I don't do a lot of shopping, so B & N is a way for me to spend some money shopping and get some books. I have ordered books on Amazon, and occasionally go into a cool used bookstore a block from my home. I often have to haggle with the used bookstore owner, which makes the experience even more enjoyable. I walk by the used bookstore often and he has best sellers and famous authors all in his big storefront windows.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Rarely from any place other than Half Price Books. I don't feel compelled to read 1st edition books any more than I do 1st run movies. My wife also shares the printed word addiction.

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I rarely buy full priced hard cover books. If I can't find a book I want discounted or in a used book store I at least wait for the paperback edition to come out.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Library for the most part, I used to have a constant stream, but I have slacked off from reading recently.

My other lending source is my mother-in-law who shares my tastes in books. I still have five of hers that need to be returned.

Purchasing books is normally only for authors that I collect, or books that I have read once and want to read again. Primarily from Barnes and Noble, occasionally from amazon.com

Registered
    Aug 2001
    usually half.com because it's an older book i am looking for. if it's really new, then Borders.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Sep 1999
    RJ just accused me this weekend of holding stock in Amazon. Well, they're sooo convenient! And I do Amazon prime, so free shipping. Over the course of a year, it really pays off. Tonight I ordered two new cookbooks; I love cookbooks! Sure wish I could afford all the novels I'd love to own, but I can't.

I LOVE the library since I don't have much cash for a book budget right now. I usually just wait around until the holidays when I generally get a Borders gift card or two from the family.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I wanted a certain book for the spouse. On Amazon, delivery could be as quick as 3 days. Being a "shop local" person, I ordered it from the local store. They said it would be in within 10 days. Four weeks later, it finally arrived. I am starting to lose my "shop local" position.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Oct 2007, 7:16 PM
  2. Audio books
    Book Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 24 Oct 2005, 4:59 PM
  3. Books on zoning
    Book Club
    Replies: 6