Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Square feet per employee?

Registered
    Sep 2005
    I have a very basic question, but I am hoping someone can help me out. I need to estimate the number of jobs that will be created by a new development in a downtown area. The uses will include high-end office, hi-tech industrial and "boutique-style commercial/retail". I know I have seen avg. sf per employee numbers, but I can't seem to find them now. Could someone point me in the right direction? You will have my eternal gratitude!

Oh - I also would like to estimate the number of construction jobs that would be created for the duration of the construction of the project. Any idea where I can find those numbers as well?
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 17 Nov 2009 at 4:56 PM. Reason: double reply

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I seem to recall some numbers like these in some of those Urban Land Institute development handbooks. However, its been about 10 years since I looked at them and they seemed dated at the time. They may have some newer material by now.

SF Per Employee

Retail is generally 300 to 700 SF per employee. Office is more in the range of 150 to 300 SF per employee.

Construction - Determine the portion of the budget that is labor (vs. Materials), and use the average weekly construction wage from the Dept of Labor in your area to determine the number of person-years of construction employment.

Registered
    Aug 2006

Bunch o' Numbers

I pulled these numbers out of a file used to analyze development impacts for a subarea plan in our downtown. Some of the initial numbers were drawn from the old DeChiara Planning & Design Criteria book, but I recall 'adjusting' those numbers with someone who does quite a bit of regional analysis on buildable lands. Use at your peril!

Office Employees 300 sqft/employee
    Retail/Service Employees 450 sqft/employee
    Grocery Employees 700 sqft/employee
    Cinema Employees 1500 sqft/employee
    Restaurant Employees 300 sqft/employee
    College Employees 300 sqft/employee
    Hotel Employees 1800 sqft/employee

Registered
    May 2009
    Question for Wildono: Would you happen to have the bibliographic citation for the DeChiara Planning & Design Criteria book that you cite for the square feet per employee statistics? I would like to purchase this book. Thank you.

Quote Originally posted by Sam Parker View post
    Question for Wildono: Would you happen to have the bibliographic citation for the DeChiara Planning & Design Criteria book that you cite for the square feet per employee statistics? I would like to purchase this book. Thank you.
    There are many places to purchase the book: here's a link to Amazon.com.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    May 2009
    Thank you very much.

Registered
    Sep 2007
    Per 2006 International Building Code:

Business-100 gross square foot

Retail-30 gross square feet, basement and grade, 60 gross square feet other floors, 300 gross square feet shipping, storage, and stock areas

Industrial-100 gross square feet

That's how the buildings are designed, so it is probably a pretty close guess.
    Navy collier
    USS Cyclops

Registered
    Aug 2006
    My 2 cents:

These numbers were estimated by Fishkind & Associates of Orlando, FL for the Fiscal Impact Analysis Model (FIAM) that was created for the Florida Department of Community Affairs (DCA) under Jeb Bush. A version of the model with these assumptions is available at http://www.sfrpc.com/fiam.htm. I have used these assumptions in a few analyses:

Employment Assumptions - New Development

Office 1-Story: 300 sq. ft. per employee (range: 275-450 sq. ft. per employee)
    Office Class A: 350 sq. ft. per employee (range: 275-450 sq. ft. per employee)
    Office Medical: 250 sq. ft. per employee (range: 225-275 sq. ft. per employee)
    Retail - Neighborhood: 600 sq. ft. per employee (range: 450-650 sq. ft. per employee)
    Retail - Community: 600 sq. ft. per employee (range: 450-650 sq. ft. per employee)
    Retail - Regional: 600 sq. ft. per employee (range: 450-650 sq. ft. per employee)
    Restaurant-Sit Down: 450 sq. ft. per employee
    Restaurant-Fast Food: 100 sq. ft. per employee
    Hotel: 0.5 employees per room (range: 0.5-1.0 employees per room)
    Industrial: 2,500 sq. ft. per employee (range: 10,000 sq. ft. per employee)
    Warehouse: 5,000 sq. ft. per employee (range: 1,000-7,500 sq. ft. per employee)
    Golf Course: 40 per 18-hole course (range: 35-45 per 18-hole course)
    Clubhouse: 800 sq. ft. per employee (range: 800-1,000 sq. ft. per employee)
    ACLF/Nursing Home beds: 1 per bed
    Institutional: 300 sq. ft. per employee (range: 225-1,000 sq. ft. per employee)
    Government: 500 sq. ft. per employee
    Agriculture/Forestry: 25 per 1,000 acres
    Parks & Recreation: 1 per acre

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. How to get your feet wet
    Student Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 04 Aug 2013, 9:34 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 15 Feb 2006, 12:07 PM
  3. How to get my feet wet: MUP