Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: TOD and rail crossing

Registered
    Aug 2006

TOD and rail crossing

Hey People

I am doing a study for the feasibility of a TOD on a metro heavy rail line over here in Australia, but I am having issues finding decent ideas for the rail crossing, ie, level crossing, rail over-road under etc.
    Can anyone help me out here?

Registered
    Jul 2006

Transportation>>Railways

Quote Originally posted by Chadles
    Hey People

I am doing a study for the feasibility of a TOD on a metro heavy rail line over here in Australia, but I am having issues finding decent ideas for the rail crossing, ie, level crossing, rail over-road under etc.
    Can anyone help me out here?
    pls check this site
    www.dot.state.ga.us

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Thanks, what I am after exactly are examples of rails crossings for TOD’s which work well as transitional areas. I have drawn a few examples below, but I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas.

See in the first example works, but is possibly dangerous; the second example has a too strong transition as either side of the development is separated by the sunken railway.
    The third and forth examples try and overcome the issue by having a level railway and raising the road.

(3 and 4 the road goes over the rail via a bridge)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails crossing.jpg  
    Last edited by Chadles; 07 Aug 2006 at 11:56 PM.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Chadles where are you in Australia? I don't have photos but maybe can give you a couple of examples in eastern NSW if they are convenient for you to visit. PM me if you don't want to post details in public.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Rem
    Chadles where are you in Australia? I don't have photos but maybe can give you a couple of examples in eastern NSW if they are convenient for you to visit. PM me if you don't want to post details in public.
    I was going to say that also- i have heard a few things floating round about these sorts of developments in Sydney
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally posted by natski
    I was going to say that also- i have heard a few things floating round about these sorts of developments in Sydney
    Hey, Thanks Rem and Natski.

I am in South Oz. There is alot of info about these sorts of developments in WA such as the Village at Wellard, but not alot happening elsewhere.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    There's nothing I can help you with in SA, though I thought the tram to Glenelg included some level crossings on it - I can't picture anything in a mixed use neighbourhood though. It's been several years since I was in Adelaide.

In Sydney the light rail service from Central to Pyrmont mingles with some pedestrian and car environments. I think it works really well and there are seemingly no special arrangements in place - though I don't have a transport engineer's eye.

In Newcastle there is a heavy rail level crossing right at the end of Hunter Street (main street), on a street that crosses Hunter Street, that is probably not a good example. A big problem with it is queing areas conflicting with adjacent traffic lights. The locals hate it. You could probably find both examples on Google Earth with a bit of patience and maybe a street directory if you can dig one up. I think queing might be a problem for diagram 3 & 4 in your post above also BTW.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Yeah your right Rem, some of the crossings of the Glenelg Line work well, but the major issue I am having is that there arent really any good examples of heavy rail interfaces.

There is one terrible example of one at Sailisbury where a major road crosses two heavy rails and a freight line. Within 300m there is 4 sets of traffic lights, road and pedestrian boom gates and 2 red light / speed cameras.

In a political response to a bus crash a few years ago, the council just keep adding more infrastructure to control traffic, they even went so far to ban busses crossing there makign them detour an extra 500m or so.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Succesful crossing of highways
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 13 Jul 2010, 3:02 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 26 Sep 2007, 5:36 PM
  3. Boston: Downtown Crossing plans to revise its look
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 01 Aug 2005, 3:25 PM