Urban planning community

Poll results: Shold Women be Allowed to go Topless in the same Public Places Men are Allowed to?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am female; No - only in Topless Bars and Nudist Colonies should this be allowed.

2 2.82%
  • I am female; No - but I think it's ok for the beach such as it is in Rio, etc.

8 11.27%
  • I am female; Yes - any hot outdoor location is reason enough.

7 9.86%
  • I am male; No - only in Topless Bars and Nudist Colonies should this be allowed.

3 4.23%
  • I am male; No - but I think it's ok for the beach such as it is in Rio, etc.

11 15.49%
  • I am male; Yes - any hot outdoor location is reason enough.

33 46.48%
  • Other (explain below)

7 9.86%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Women be Allowed to go Topless in the same Public Places Men are Allowed to?

Registered
    Apr 2005

Should Women be Allowed to go Topless in the same Public Places Men are Allowed to?

A logical offshoot from the Public Breastfeeding thread: http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25748
    would be to pop the question:

Should Women be Allowed to go Topless in the same Public Places Men are Allowed to?

Please feel free to share the reasoning behind your vote. Naturally, since this poll concerns a restriction we currently place on females, I think it is highly relevant for votes to be distinguished by gender.

I can certainly make some educated guesses as to why one would support the right to toplessness or be against it. But as most issues relating to cultural customs toward the body are somewhat taboo subjects, I think it could be illuminating for people to explore the reasoning behind why female toplessness is restricted, with the aim of reassessing its validity in modern society.

Moderator note:
    (nerudite) Added Other option to poll
    Last edited by nerudite; 07 Aug 2006 at 4:36 PM.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Male and I voted yes because I like to look at boobies.
    I don't do anything right.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Exactly where are men allowed to go topless?
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I've been to countries where topless females was not that unusual, but most people have a good sense to protect themselves from the sun unless they are on the beach or by the pool.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Yes. For equality's sake and that IS a true fact. Nothing is alterior with this.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    Such as walking down a city street - for instance.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Some places where guys are sometimes topless, like doing gardening/yard work, playing sports, jobs in construction, etc, I could see as being kind of uncomfortable for women without a top. Sometimes those mammary glands just get in the way unless they're contained.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    On the beach!
    Last edited by Wannaplan?; 18 Sep 2006 at 10:46 PM.

Registered
    May 2004
    Pretty much everywhere. I was at home depot yesterday and there were quite a few topless (and quite dirty and paint covered) males in the store.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I was being facetious when I posed that question. I've never looked for one, but I wonder if there are municipal ordinances on the books that actually ALLOW men to go topless anywhere in public while women are forced to maintain their "decency." Quite frankly, I don't want to see any random man on the streets topless (unless he's Brad Pitt ) any more than I'd want to see a woman topless. The beach is the only acceptable public place where BOTH could be allowed to go topless.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I think it is clear where you you can't go topless.

No Shirt No Shoes No Service says it all!

I bet if women started going topless we would see more of those signs.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Apr 2005
    I was being facetious when I posed that question. I've never looked for one, but I wonder if there are municipal ordinances on the books that actually ALLOW men to go topless anywhere in public while women are forced to maintain their "decency." Quite frankly, I don't want to see any random man on the streets topless (unless he's Brad Pitt ) any more than I'd want to see a woman topless. The beach is the only acceptable public place where BOTH could be allowed to go topless.
    Yes, but don't forget that what we wear is more than just a cultural/sexual representation of ourselves - it is, at the most fundamental level, a means of adaptation to temperature - which rules our life at every moment. The naked torso can more easily adapt to high termperatures through easy evaporation of sweat which removes excess body heat. A man suffering from heat exhaustion need never scoff at cultural restrictions if he wants to remove his shirt to better adapt his body to the weather - at least not until he chooses to step into a fast food establishment. If I was a woman, I would envy this freedom held by men - Unless of course I made my living by being a topless dancer (since current laws serve to create an artificial scarcity of female nudity from which I would then be a direct beneficiary).

Registered
    May 2005
    I voted yes. But for sanity sake, I'm staying out of the discussion.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Ideally, I think women should be permitted to go topless if they want to. In reality, probably not.

Personally, I don't care one way or the other, I think we are pretty "hung up" on nudity. I know my children are already very aware of bodies in general. If I am in my room changing or run from the shower to my room or whatever and they happen to see me, my oldest (8) FREAKS, turns his head, runs into his room, etc...and of course my little monster child (4) giggles like a maniac or says something very inappropriate. It has been society/television that has taught them these things. I do not and have not ever talked to the boys about nudity or it being "bad", etc. Its something our society sees as "wrong" and its ingrained in our minds as young children.
    In saying that, while I believe it is only fair that women be permitted to dress the same as a man if they wish, I would not want my children exposed to a woman topless, as it appears to be something "bad" to them.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I vote yes, but don't think Americans in general have the maturity to handle it. Tell someone in your office that you frequent nudist colonies on the weekends and see how they react...

For some reason in America, more than any other place I've heard of, thinks breasts are sexual organs. Of course a lot of this goes back 100s of years with parents and culture teaching us that our bodies are something to be ashamed of and keep hidden, particularly women.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B
    I think it is clear where you you can't go topless.

No Shirt No Shoes No Service says it all!

I bet if women started going topless we would see more of those signs.
    Try getting service following the no shirt and no shoes policy to the letter. Lets just say that most places also require pants
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I think that they should be able to be topless in any place that a man can be topless.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Obvious how I voted.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    google "gwen jacobs"

Not sure what people's blocks may do, as some sites be be deemed indecent due to their content, even though they are news.

Basically, she is a woman that was charged with indecent behaviour(being shirtless) and ended up at the appeals court in Ontario, who overturned her conviction. So basically in Ontario, women can go shirtless.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I don't like any of the answers 100%. When I am out and about I really don't care to see anyone, male or female with everything bared to the world. I am the farthest thing from a prude and am quite in touch with physical being, but it doesn't mean that I want everyone else to be either.

I know I voted that a woman should be able to breastfeed any time, any place but the difference there is that its for the purpose of feeding a child without sexual connotations.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by donk
    google "gwen jacobs"

Not sure what people's blocks may do, as some sites be be deemed indecent due to their content, even though they are news.

Basically, she is a woman that was charged with indecent behaviour(being shirtless) and ended up at the appeals court in Ontario, who overturned her conviction. So basically in Ontario, women can go shirtless.
    Thanks for edumecatin' us about gwen jacobs. I was led to the topfreedom social movement as described on wikipedia, acording to which, females can go shirtless in the following U.S. places: New York, Texas, Maine, Hawaii, Ohio, D.C., Eugene OR, and South Beach FL. Although, apparently it is still possible that an officer might arrest a female for indecent exposure even in these places.

Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek
    I don't like any of the answers 100%.
    You could interpret the 1st choice as being the same as what the current situation is in most places in the US. Although - yes it's true, neither nude beaches nor topless dancers are allowed in all jurisdictions.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I voted "other" (y'all are shocked, right? )

Maybe some day I will be able to explain that. For now, just know that I am 'fessing up as one of the votes for "other".

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmmm.....

Sure, why not....I'm not one of the sicko's out there that they need to worry about
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One
    Sure, why not....I'm not one of the sicko's out there that they need to worry about
    The whole breast thing would become less of a "hot button" issue if women let them hang out all the time. It's a very well known fact that constant exposure to nudity desensitizes such issues. It is a touchy subject now precisely because it is "taboo". The best way to make something a sexualized aspect of the body is to cover it up and keep it covered.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Why am I NOT at all surprised by the overwhelming "anyplace, anytime" response of male Cyburbians....

Now I've got a question for you guys: would you feel the same way about your mothers, daughters, sisters, wives and girlfriends baring their boobs in public?

I can only go for the concept insofar as premises where kids wouldn't be around, like designated topless/nude beaches.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 22 Mar 2012, 11:31 AM
  2. Interpretation How do you judge allowed uses?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 28 Apr 2011, 5:42 AM
  3. Engineers Allowed?
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 26 May 2010, 3:22 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last post: 12 Feb 2010, 9:38 AM
  5. Are you allowed to campaign?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18