Urban planning community

Poll results: Shold Women be Allowed to go Topless in the same Public Places Men are Allowed to?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am female; No - only in Topless Bars and Nudist Colonies should this be allowed.

2 2.82%
  • I am female; No - but I think it's ok for the beach such as it is in Rio, etc.

8 11.27%
  • I am female; Yes - any hot outdoor location is reason enough.

7 9.86%
  • I am male; No - only in Topless Bars and Nudist Colonies should this be allowed.

3 4.23%
  • I am male; No - but I think it's ok for the beach such as it is in Rio, etc.

11 15.49%
  • I am male; Yes - any hot outdoor location is reason enough.

33 46.48%
  • Other (explain below)

7 9.86%
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Should Women be Allowed to go Topless in the same Public Places Men are Allowed to?

Registered
    Jul 2005
    I'm voting "other" too.

I vote for any chilly indoor or outdoor location.
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    ....Now I've got a question for you guys: would you feel the same way about your mothers, daughters, sisters, wives and girlfriends baring their boobs in public?

I can only go for the concept insofar as premises where kids wouldn't be around, like designated topless/nude beaches.
    Okay, now you have me rethinking my vote (I would not want to see my mom, sister, or daughter (if I had one) topless in public).
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Okay, now you have me rethinking my vote (I would not want to see my mom, sister, or daughter (if I had one) topless in public).
    Yeah, and don't forget, for every 19 year old Danish nanny, you get ten 80 year old grandma's dangling them out there.

Everytime we're out driving and my son sees some nasty old fart with his shirt off, he yells "Put a shirt on!". Good boy.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Yeah, and don't forget, for every 19 year old Danish nanny, you get ten 80 year old grandma's dangling them out there.

Everytime we're out driving and my son sees some nasty old fart with his shirt off, he yells "Put a shirt on!". Good boy.
    ROFL....he should meet my daughter, she says the same sort of things.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B
    I think it is clear where you you can't go topless.

No Shirt No Shoes No Service says it all!

I bet if women started going topless we would see more of those signs.
    Or less... In one bar I saw a sign, "Men, No Shirt - No Service Women, No Shirt - FREE BEER!"

But really... the reason to go shirtless is to be comfortable. I recall being out with a couple freinds and our wives on a boat, and we pulled up to a small island and moored, then when we went swimming, so the guys took off the shirts... no big deal. But, I'm not going to ever be mistaken for Brad Pitt, I think being partially clothed is more of a responsibility than a right, but it was only three couples. What was funny was my friends son pulls up in his boat and joins us, and he's got a gut like the rest of us, and yells, "Yahoo! Fat guys without shirts!", and proceeds to remove his, too.

But that's how I feel. If you're comfortable without a shirt... don't wear one. Me, I'd prefer to have one on unless I'm swimming or in relative privacy. Now when I was young and lean... way different story!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Oct 2003
    First, I selected "others"

Second, I read this and realized what I was going to say was already stated by a teacher, donk.

Quote Originally posted by donk
    google "gwen jacobs"

Not sure what people's blocks may do, as some sites be be deemed indecent due to their content, even though they are news.

Basically, she is a woman that was charged with indecent behaviour(being shirtless) and ended up at the appeals court in Ontario, who overturned her conviction. So basically in Ontario, women can go shirtless.
    So, I selected other because legally, yes, women are allowed to go shirtless.

Because I was still quite young when this court case went to the Supreme Court of Canada, I'm still not sure if this legislation was made for only the province of Ontario or for the country of Canada.

Edit: Oh, I just remember an interesting tidbit about Gwen Jacobs. I believe she was mowing the lawns in her backyard, while topless. And, she did this in, imo, the "armpit" town of Eastern Ontario...which makes me think: is there a declining power in being a redneck?
    Last edited by Hceux; 08 Aug 2006 at 12:15 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    In Canada women are allowed to be topless because men are allowed to. This is simple and fair. I have yet to see women walking around cities topless though, but they have the right to do so, because men can.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    In Canada women are allowed to be topless because men are allowed to. This is simple and fair. I have yet to see women walking around cities topless though, but they have the right to do so, because men can.
    True. I haven't seen this happen yet.

Registered
    May 2004

Now I've got a question for you guys: would you feel the same way about your mothers, daughters, sisters, wives and girlfriends baring their boobs in public?

I believe I have been brainwashed by "civilized" society to believe that would be wrong. And I certainly would be appalled were my mother to do so. But deep down I don't believe it should be wrong or appalling. It's terrible that we have been taught that our bodies are offensive or somehow "wrong".

I think in an earlier post MZ sort of hit the nail on the head when she said

Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    t's a very well known fact that constant exposure to nudity desensitizes such issues. It is a touchy subject now precisely because it is "taboo". The best way to make something a sexualized aspect of the body is to cover it up and keep it covered.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Why am I NOT at all surprised by the overwhelming "anyplace, anytime" response of male Cyburbians....

Now I've got a question for you guys: would you feel the same way about your mothers, daughters, sisters, wives and girlfriends baring their boobs in public?

I can only go for the concept insofar as premises where kids wouldn't be around, like designated topless/nude beaches.
    ...If they feel like it, why not? The question is whether they should be allowed, not whether they are likely to or whether it makes any sense. I myself don't tend to flaunt my ‘man-breasts' too liberally as it scares the horses.

I don’t get the bit about children. Why would children even notice breasts unless it is inculcated into them that they are, somehow, sexual? They spend their first months sucking on them things.

Then again, I'm from Italy. going topless is allwoed on beaches and girsl don't wear tops until they begin to need them. Merrykuns are waaaaay to freaked out by flesh. Not an attractive aspect of the culture, kidna freaky...
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I'm all for being topless where ever the hell I want, but only in a perfect world where the men wouldn't be oggle-tastic all the time.

This would be great as I surf and have to come up with elaborate ways of shielding my nipples when i'm changing into a wetsuite on the side of the road... in glorious spain you can let them go and (SHOCK) nothing happens.

BTW at Burningman they have a "critical ****" bicycle ride. The idea here is that all the ladies take their tops off, ride around empowered and having fun. What really happens is that all the nasty old men get out their video cameras and videotape the ride. Shudder. Never again. The lesson is even the most empowered alternative american men cannot help but turn into slobbering eejits when confronted with a few 100 titties.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    If it became okay for women to be topless, I could see it not being that big of a deal years from now. Like in parts of Europe, it is engrained to not be anything out of the ordinary. But, initially, I could see mayham. Sienfeld fans - Remember what happened when Jerry and Kramer saw Sue Ellen Mishke walking down the street in only a bra and blazer. Car accident occurances would increase, and herassment and molestation would probably go up, too. I remember seeing footage from Woodstock '99, and there were some topless girls in the crowd (probably not the smartest thing to do when you're surrounded by drunk guys) and they kept getting grabbed at, and there were a number of rapes reported. If a woman dresses sexy, she's accused by some to be "asking for it" if she gets raped or molested (Bill O'Reilly just made that assertion a couple days ago). Imagine if she wasn't wearing any top at all. America has a long way to go towards not objectifying women before toplessness could safely be allowed here, IMO.

By the way, I don't consider public breastfeeding to be "going topless" because the breasts are basically always covered, by a baby's head or blanket.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    after 3 kids, I need a push up bra that resembles a really pretty forklift! so, no topless for me on a beach anymore but I don't care if other women do...

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by cch
    America has a long way to go towards not objectifying women before toplessness could safely be allowed here, IMO.
    As I would see public toplessness as being fine (from a non-sexual standpoint), I do agree that Americans, both male and female, need to come long way before the taboo is lifted.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I am totally in favor of women going topless. Espeically if I don't have to give them a buck to see. Boobs are among a few of my favorite things.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2006
    So the consensus is its an American problem.

Perhaps we can rectify this by publishing topless photos in our daily papers like in the UK and Ireland...

(There's nothing quite like seeing an old Irish grannie reading a broadsheet in public with the topless glamour model on page 3 clearly in view.)

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    I know my children are already very aware of bodies in general. If I am in my room changing or run from the shower to my room or whatever and they happen to see me, my oldest (8) FREAKS, turns his head, runs into his room, etc...and of course my little monster child (4) giggles like a maniac or says something very inappropriate. It has been society/television that has taught them these things. I do not and have not ever talked to the boys about nudity or it being "bad", etc. Its something our society sees as "wrong" and its ingrained in our minds as young children.
    In saying that, while I believe it is only fair that women be permitted to dress the same as a man if they wish, I would not want my children exposed to a woman topless, as it appears to be something "bad" to them.
    This interests me how you rationalize your personal attitudes against societal attitudes. Do you think that if you had two girls instead, you would be as likely to hide your nudity from them? Their behavior towards you would probably factor in I'm sure.
    Yes. It would not bother me. I also like Luca's answer here:
    Quote Originally posted by Luca
    ...If they feel like it, why not? The question is whether they should be allowed, not whether they are likely to or whether it makes any sense.
    In pondering my own initial post, I have come up with the following reasons why female toplessness is restricted:
    1. Breasts are considered indecent
    2. Shame
    3. Prudery
    4. To hide nudity from children
    5. Boon to the boob dancers
    6. Boon to the bra makers
    7. Religion
    8. To discourage unwanted groping
    9. To minimize unsafe public distraction
    10. To thwart ogglers and gawkers
    11. To minimize pain from flopping around
    12. To keep well-endowed women from rubbing them in the face of flat-chested women
    I think #1, 5 & 6 could arguably be considered effects of the topless restriction. Upon that, I'll add a few more thoughts later.
    Last edited by dobopoq; 08 Aug 2006 at 1:53 PM.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Registered
    May 2003
    In Chicago indecent exposure for woman consists of exposure of the pubic region plus the entirety of the nipples on the breast. Meaning that a thong and pasties are enough to make one legal. A man wouldn't have to wear the pasties because he can legally show his nipples.

The pubic region is defined as the area covered by hair with the organs also explicitly stated, which means a girl with a brazil wax could presumably go much more bare than a natural girl without being illegal, and theoretically one could be guilty of indecent exposure even with a proper bathing suit if one's hair is particularly unruly. I think the idea of "area covered by hair" is pretty arbitrary.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian
    after 3 kids, I need a push up bra that resembles a really pretty forklift! so, no topless for me on a beach anymore but I don't care if other women do...
    sigh. at least you have something to forklift.

i voted "anywhere men can go". but really, i don't even want to look at the travesty my boobs have become post-children. why would i subject the public to it?

and for practicality's sake - anything i would be doing that would cause me to get hot and sweaty - i'm probably going to want some protection for the old girls - at least a sports bra. gardening, running, etc. there just is no need for it.

but if one of my sisters feels the need - have at it.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb
    In Chicago indecent exposure for woman consists of exposure of the pubic region plus the entirety of the nipples on the breast. Meaning that a thong and pasties are enough to make one legal. A man wouldn't have to wear the pasties because he can legally show his nipples.

The pubic region is defined as the area covered by hair with the organs also explicitly stated, which means a girl with a brazil wax could presumably go much more bare than a natural girl without being illegal, and theoretically one could be guilty of indecent exposure even with a proper bathing suit if one's hair is particularly unruly. I think the idea of "area covered by hair" is pretty arbitrary.
    Given this a lot of thought, have you Jordan???

("If I shave I can run round Chacaga basically butt-nekkid!!")
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Anyone who wants to know, for sure, that nudity and sexuality are not one in the same, only needs to spend a couple days at a nudist camp. Really...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Quote Originally posted by Mastiff
    Anyone who wants to know, for sure, that nudity and sexuality are not one in the same, only needs to spend a couple days at a nudist camp. Really...
    Or Mardi Gras in The Big Easy. Or the Churchill Downs infield on Derby Day. Yep, seen lots of 'em I would have prefered not to have seen, to be honest.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff
    Agreeing with this sentiment:

I think I have said in some previous thread something like "I happen to like my delusion that I'm a Hottie, so I'll keep my clothes on in public, thanks."

Quote Originally posted by Downtown
    and for practicality's sake - anything i would be doing that would cause me to get hot and sweaty - i'm probably going to want some protection for the old girls - at least a sports bra. gardening, running, etc. there just is no need for it.

I went braless a lot at 17. Of course, at 17, if I had stuck a pair of socks in the front of my bikini bottom and removed my top, what are the odds that anyone would have realized I was female?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown

I went braless a lot at 17. Of course, at 17, if I had stuck a pair of socks in the front of my bikini bottom and removed my top, what are the odds that anyone would have realized I was female?

Registered
    Jul 2002

o o

In pondering my own initial post, I have come up with the following reasons why female toplessness is restricted:
    1. Breasts are considered indecent
    2. Shame
    3. Prudery
    4. To hide nudity from children
    5. Boon to the boob dancers
    6. Boon to the bra makers
    7. Religion
    8. To discourage unwanted groping
    9. To minimize unsafe public distraction
    10. To thwart ogglers and gawkers
    11. To minimize pain from flopping around
    12. To keep well-endowed women from rubbing them in the face of flat-chested women
    ...and it takes away one of women's "bargaining chips."
    WALSTIB

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 22 Mar 2012, 11:31 AM
  2. Interpretation How do you judge allowed uses?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 28 Apr 2011, 5:42 AM
  3. Engineers Allowed?
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 26 May 2010, 3:22 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last post: 12 Feb 2010, 9:38 AM
  5. Are you allowed to campaign?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18