Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Would employers in USA honor a planning degree from Australia?

Registered
    Aug 2006

Would employers in USA honor a planning degree from Australia?

I am considering pursuing a Masters in Urban Planning Degree from the University of Melbourne-Australia. Would this be useless to employers in the United States or would I still be able to find a job with such a degree???

Any insights are helpful. Thanks

ROB

Registered
    Nov 2002

Probably Be Fine

I think you'd be fine. We have a planner in our office with an Oz degree and we didn't think twice.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Can we assume that U-M-A has some planning accreditation? If so, combined with your work/intern experience, I would have no problem considering this type of candidate.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    we just hired a guy with a "surveying" degree from NZ. his coursework includes more than just surveying, obviously, but, yeah, it happens.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Sure....

No problem, as long as you all (Australia/NZ) accept my Masters Degree from the States.......I'm VERY serious about this one!!! Maybe the APA/AICP should be following up on this reciprocal agreement:

.....sound of crickets in the distance........and complete silence.....he he he

Please send your donation to the "help china develop" program at......blah blah blah....

The One removing himself from future APA leadership role.....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by gkmo62u
    Can we assume that U-M-A has some planning accreditation? If so, combined with your work/intern experience, I would have no problem considering this type of candidate.
    University of Melbourne has an Planning Institute of Australia (PIA) accrediated undergrad planning course, and the masters (which is to build on an undergrad degree) is also accrediated- so that is fine.

From what i hear Australian planning degrees are pretty much accepted anywhere in the world! But there are plenty of jobs going round here- big skills shortage in planners...
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally posted by natski
    University of Melbourne has an Planning Institute of Australia (PIA) accrediated undergrad planning course, and the masters (which is to build on an undergrad degree) is also accrediated- so that is fine.

From what i hear Australian planning degrees are pretty much accepted anywhere in the world! But there are plenty of jobs going round here- big skills shortage in planners...
    As long as its a reputaple uni I doubt you would have issues, a few of my friends have gone to the US/UK with University of South Australia (Also PIA recognised) degree's and havent had any problems.

And there defeinatly is a shortage of planners over here, especially skilled planners!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2004
    While not specifically on topic, i'm currently -at- Uni Melbourne. If you had any questions let me know.

Registered
    Sep 2007

Uni. Melbourne

Justice, I'd be quite interested in hearing about U. of Melbourne's Masters in planning. This being my first post, the site doesn't seem let me send PMs, so I hope you get this.

Also, how do you rate University of Sydney? And are you American and decided to do your Masters down under?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Getting into planning - Australia
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 12 Feb 2012, 8:36 AM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last post: 31 Dec 2009, 2:17 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 26 Dec 2008, 5:15 PM
  4. Planning NSW Australia
    Make No Small Plans