Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Environmental review must enclude "emotional well being"

Registered
    Oct 2001

Environmental review must enclude "emotional well being"

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/inte...430094,00.html

Interesting essay on "adult businesses" in a small, affluent Hudson River town (Nyack) and the impact of the "Culture Wars" on the planning process. The intriguing thing to me is the court's decision that New York State SEPA review includes "Emotional Well-Being." :

the group argued that the proposed sex shop on Route 59 violated the environmental laws of the State of New York -- on the grounds that the environment includes, in addition to the air, water and forests, the emotional well-being of those who inhabit it.
    Apparantly, the court was somewhat sympathetic on technical/procedural grounds.

I'm curious about this-have New York planners typically considered "emotional well being" as part of their SEPA review? Wow, if so.

Registered
    May 2004
    Interesting.

Somebody should sue.

Stephen Baldwin is an idiot.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner
    Interesting.

Somebody should sue.

Stephen Baldwin is an idiot.
    Well...at least his brand of relgiious thuggery doesn't involve copious alcohol and anti-semitism.

Registered
    May 2004
    I've been searching but havent been able to really find anything that goes into detail of the judges ruling. If you find anything further can you provide a link? I am definately intersted in reading the judgement.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I think emotional well-being is a stretch, but the word environment conveys to me more than just soil, water and air. It is a presence of space and certain merit can be found with considering how the proposal impacts the human geography of the place.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I have come across this before....

A local group opposing a wind farm and the environmental health department of the local council is concerned over the objectors' "levels of anxiety" related to the development.

?????

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    I think emotional well-being is a stretch, but the word environment conveys to me more than just soil, water and air. It is a presence of space and certain merit can be found with considering how the proposal impacts the human geography of the place.
    I'm with you there with including human geography in environmentals, but emotional well-being? Give me a break. Just when I thought we couldn't be any more coddled... I think about displacement, socioeconomic impact, etc. when I consider human geography in conducting environmental reviews, not whether a project makes someone warm & fuzzy or requires them to visit a therapist because for once in their life they didn't get their way or have an irrational fear of whatever the project is.

I could see NIMBY's taking serious advantage of such a policy... "No, you can't put lower income housing right there... it will cause me undo anxiety..."

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 25 Sep 2011, 9:25 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 8:38 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 19 Nov 2006, 9:28 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last post: 20 Oct 2005, 4:37 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 Apr 2003, 9:59 AM