Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Professional planner in training

Registered
    Jul 2006

Professional planner in training

Hello. I am currently an undergrad. going for my bachelors in Urban and Regional Planning. I have 3 more years until I graduate. Any suggestions on what I can do to gain experience or grasp a better understanding? Or books??

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Q. Does your program help place students in an INTERNSHIP ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Q. Does your program help place students in an INTERNSHIP ?
    It does, but I must wait until im a senior.

Registered
    May 2005
    You don't have to necessarily get an internship through your university. Make some contacts of your own, you never know what you may find. I did some internships that I didn't receive any credit for, on top of internships that I was.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmmm....

Well, on one hand, an internship this early in undergrad might be too early....but on the other hand, it might help you decide if planning is for you.... I would be a little surprised if the school would set you up with an intern this early. They may only get so many chances and want to provide the internships to seniors first??
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by btrage
    You don't have to necessarily get an internship through your university. Make some contacts of your own, you never know what you may find. I did some internships that I didn't receive any credit for, on top of internships that I was.
    You are right. I did attempt this past summer, with a city in Texas. The director of the planning dept. asked for my resume, but when I sent it, she never got back to me. I will continue to look around. Thank you for your response.

Quote Originally posted by The One
    Well, on one hand, an internship this early in undergrad might be too early....but on the other hand, it might help you decide if planning is for you.... I would be a little surprised if the school would set you up with an intern this early. They may only get so many chances and want to provide the internships to seniors first??
    Perhaps you are right. As for planning being for me, I think it is. I was a physical geography major, but I just recently changed my major two months ago. I have really looked into U/R Planning in depth. Also the many options I have for grad. school, and I have finished two books on planning.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 14 Aug 2006 at 4:30 PM. Reason: double reply

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Network through the local APA chapter to see if anyone needs an intern for whatever reasons.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    Well, I'd start by attending a few meetings. Planning board, city commission, whatever. You start getting a sense of what it is that planners do, and you start getting a sense for the political environment that planners work in. Plus, you'll just get to see Local Government In Action, which is always fun.

Also, one of the best planning educations you can give yourself is just looking around... start noticing housing types, learn about some historical architecture so that you can understand the different ways that your community developed over time, pay attention to how the more suburban areas work (look at the parking, at the sidewalks, at the landscaping, at the different uses that are placed next to each other), go downtown and look at businesses that are there, go downtown and look at the residential units that are there, go to the edges of town and see what's being built out there, ride your bike around as much as possible and think about how/if that type of transportation can be improved, and so on..

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by MM1648
    Hello. I am currently an undergrad. going for my bachelors in Urban and Regional Planning. I have 3 more years until I graduate. Any suggestions on what I can do to gain experience or grasp a better understanding? Or books??
    Where in Texas are you located? I know that the City of Houston has internship opportunities (unpaid), and there are a couple of places in the Dallas area.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra
    Where in Texas are you located? I know that the City of Houston has internship opportunities (unpaid), and there are a couple of places in the Dallas area.
    I currently reside in the Austin/San Antonio corridor. Thank you though for the notification of the opportunities in Houston.

Quote Originally posted by vaughan
    Well, I'd start by attending a few meetings. Planning board, city commission, whatever. You start getting a sense of what it is that planners do, and you start getting a sense for the political environment that planners work in. Plus, you'll just get to see Local Government In Action, which is always fun.

Also, one of the best planning educations you can give yourself is just looking around... start noticing housing types, learn about some historical architecture so that you can understand the different ways that your community developed over time, pay attention to how the more suburban areas work (look at the parking, at the sidewalks, at the landscaping, at the different uses that are placed next to each other), go downtown and look at businesses that are there, go downtown and look at the residential units that are there, go to the edges of town and see what's being built out there, ride your bike around as much as possible and think about how/if that type of transportation can be improved, and so on..

You are right. It is interesting to see a everything from a different view. Before I declared my major, I never looked at things through a planners perspective. Thanks for your time, and info.

Registered
    Jun 2006
    Frankly, I couldn't afford to be an intern. I was working for an engineering firm as a drafter and asked if I could do some things for the planning department. They let me work on a few projects, and I got to see what a planner does. That firmed up my decision. While in Planning school, I got a job at a local non-profit, the Neighborhood Design Center, as a Project Coordinator working community planning and landscape architecture projects. Fun job; great experience.

Above all, be persistent. Go back to that Planning Dir. and show her you are really interested. Nobody will turn down free help. She may just be concerned that you will be a hinderance because of your lack of experience. You need to convince her that you are enthused and have something positive to offer. Talk your way in.

And when she throws you out, go to the next one in the phone book.

Good luck.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 14
    Last post: 30 Dec 2009, 1:17 PM
  2. New Planner in Training
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 13 May 2009, 2:54 PM
  3. Entry-level planner training
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 9