Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Autocad vs. GIS

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by abrowne
    ArcGIS / ArcMap / ArcWhatever, in all their iterations, piss me off. Why? Because they are buggy buggy buggy and crash crash crash, regardless of what kind of system specs you provide the program to feed on. AutoCAD, on the other hand, is much more stable (though far from perfect itself).

I avoid GIS because of the software itself.
    That at least makes me feel slightly more comfortable that as a strictly GIS professional myself, that there will continue to be a need for a GIS staff. Nonetheless, the planner / GIS analyst position is becoming ever more popular, at my last position - the vast majority of the planners used GIS on a regular basis. The most competent planners used GIS on a religious basis.

ESRI annoys me in that it most certainly is not WYSIWYG. I want ALL of my maps/aerials/drawings scaled to an engineer's standard, such as 1:10, 1:100, 1:1000 whatever, not 1:147.5377. Arrrgghhhhhhh!

(Of course, being the technoluddite that I am, it may not be ESRI at all but me. I'll happily take advice if that's the case...)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    ESRI annoys me in that it most certainly is not WYSIWYG. I want ALL of my maps/aerials/drawings scaled to an engineer's standard, such as 1:10, 1:100, 1:1000 whatever, not 1:147.5377. Arrrgghhhhhhh!

(Of course, being the technoluddite that I am, it may not be ESRI at all but me. I'll happily take advice if that's the case...)
    See the little numbers at the top of the screen? Change them from 147.5377 to 100

It does depend on what your projection & measure unit is set to.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    As much as I complain about the problems of GIS (ESRI's software is crap, etc.), I do think that comparing it to CAD is like apples and oranges. CAD makes pretty drawings and maps. GIS is much more complex and involved. GIS data isn't only graphical, it's attached to a complex network of databases, servers, etc. You can have an Oracle SDE database that's also attached to a work order application, so the data is being used by both. Then there are the IMS (internet map servers), business analyst tools, 3-D analysis, etc. You can look at flows in pipes or on streets based on the topology (from and to nodes). You can create a 3-D viewshed analysis or a nice hillshade coverage. You can take a text file of addresses and geocode a shapefile of the real-world locations on a map.

Lately I've been programming custom GIS applications in VB.NET using the ArcObjects. It's challenging but extremely fun (to me anyway). I don't know if you've ever looked at ESRI's ArcObject model but it is completely insane.

GIS is a helluva lot more than making maps. CAD is not. The problem is that most people can't even spell GIS much less harness its full potential.
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I think the whole point of this thread was that maybe you ^^ and like 3 other people know how to/actually do what you just listed.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jread View post

Lately I've been programming custom GIS applications in VB.NET using the ArcObjects. It's challenging but extremely fun (to me anyway). I don't know if you've ever looked at ESRI's ArcObject model but it is completely insane.

GIS is a helluva lot more than making maps. CAD is not. The problem is that most people can't even spell GIS much less harness its full potential.
    I've programmed in ArcObjects using VBA, but not VB. I did years & years ago piddle with MapObjects in VB. But yes, ArcObject's model is massive & you can really get lost in it. But I admit - I miss AML & Avenue, as abstract as Avenue was - for basic scripting, what ArcObjects takes 10 lines, you could reduce it to just 2 or 3 in Avenue.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally posted by teshadoh View post
    I've programmed in ArcObjects using VBA, but not VB. I did years & years ago piddle with MapObjects in VB. But yes, ArcObject's model is massive & you can really get lost in it. But I admit - I miss AML & Avenue, as abstract as Avenue was - for basic scripting, what ArcObjects takes 10 lines, you could reduce it to just 2 or 3 in Avenue.
    Yeah, I wish they would've never gotten rid of Avenue. They're using Python now, which is a great language, but not in the way ESRI uses it. You're limited to the geoprocessor and it's a royal pain to get anything to work properly.
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

Registered
    Aug 2006
    If you are or will be just designing then CAD. If you need to have information behind it (and then you need to think of the system) with maybe some analysis of the data in terms of space then GIS.

I think if you are not sure what GIS is or can do then stick with CAD - otherwise its like using a submersible aricraft carrier to ferry a family across the river.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 17 Apr 2012, 12:14 PM
  2. Why do planners need AutoCAD when...
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 24 May 2007, 12:20 PM
  3. AutoCAD Certification????
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3