Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Oktoberfest Party Planning

Registered
    Feb 2004

Oktoberfest Party Planning

Every year we used to host an Oktoberfest party at our home. Last year for the first time, thanks in part to the arrival of junior and a few other various things going on in life, we were unable to do so. I'm considering doing things a little differently this year. I'm in the planning stages for this year's party now and I'm wondering if there are any expert Cyburbian party planners out there who might volunteer their advice? I'm wondering what food and beverages to serve, what time of day to hold it (on a Saturday in September) how to serve it and perhaps music, decorations, or any other suggestions. We are still planning on an open house format and anticipate somwhere between 25-38 attendees.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I live to throw parties.

I'm a big fan of the Saturday afternoon/early evening party - especially if you have a lot of guests with kids. And especially small kids with early bedtimes.

Some sites you may want to check out:

Oktoberfest: The Definitive At-Home Party Guide

More German Recipes

Inside or Outside? If you're doing outside, and it's going to be warm - late sept can still be pretty warm sometimes, i would highly recommend picking up some big aluminum pans from a party warehouse store and using them as chilling containers - fill with ice and then set in your mayo-based food items. It might not be a bad idea to have the little sterno warming cans for the warm dishes, since you'll be having an open house and not everyone will be eating at once.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown
    I live to throw parties.

I'm a big fan of the Saturday afternoon/early evening party - especially if you have a lot of guests with kids. And especially small kids with early bedtimes.

Some sites you may want to check out:

Oktoberfest: The Definitive At-Home Party Guide

More German Recipes

Inside or Outside? If you're doing outside, and it's going to be warm - late sept can still be pretty warm sometimes, i would highly recommend picking up some big aluminum pans from a party warehouse store and using them as chilling containers - fill with ice and then set in your mayo-based food items. It might not be a bad idea to have the little sterno warming cans for the warm dishes, since you'll be having an open house and not everyone will be eating at once.
    I'm planning on an inside event (mostly. Some years things spill out into the back yard). Late Sept. in Michigan can be iffy sometimes {rainy/cold} with the weather especially in the evenings.
    I drank all the sterno we had , guess I'll have to buy more for the chaffing dishes.
    It is recognized that certain items must be served at an Oktoberfest party - beer and sausage being the principles. I'll take a look at those URL's for recipe ideas. My wife and I are both accomplished cooks and are not daunted by prepping something new.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    I'm planning on an inside event (mostly. Some years things spill out into the back yard). Late Sept. in Michigan can be iffy sometimes {rainy/cold} with the weather especially in the evenings.
    I drank all the sterno we had , guess I'll have to buy more for the chaffing dishes.
    It is recognized that certain items must be served at an Oktoberfest party - beer and sausage being the principles. I'll take a look at those URL's for recipe ideas. My wife and I are both accomplished cooks and are not daunted by prepping something new.

Inside? How am I going to be able to play my accordian? Don't ya wanna do the chicken dance?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Must have, Omm pah band (even if just a 3 piece band, leiderhosen manditory)

@GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Apr 2003
    After today, I just want to get drunk.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Ok - i've been browsing the German recipes and I think I'll be making streudel this weekend. yum!

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    After today, I just want to get drunk.
    really rough day, eh? :/

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I'm in the planning stages for this year's party now and I'm wondering if there are any expert Cyburbian party planners out there who might volunteer their advice?
    I volunteer to attend! Ooh, that's not what you wanted huh?

No advice, but I want pictures of Maister in his leiderhosen!

Registered
    May 2004
    Didn't your mother ever tell you its rude to ask people for advice on a party and not invite them

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown
    Ok - i've been browsing the German recipes and I think I'll be making streudel this weekend. yum!

really rough day, eh? :/

Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    I volunteer to attend! Ooh, that's not what you wanted huh?

I second that thought!... attending not the leiderhosen...
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Oktoberfest is a good idea. I may have to do it myself.

Grab plenty of Spaten for the occasion.

Rooolllll out.. the barrells!
    We'll have a barrell of fun
    !
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Sep 1999
    LadyBuc needs to jump in here. Last week she was telling me about some popular German drinks, like coke and red wine. Or was it Sprite and beer, or something else? (no, I'm not kidding....) Oh well. Y'know, authentic stuff they really drink in Germany.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    LadyBuc needs to jump in here. Last week she was telling me about some popular German drinks, like coke and red wine. Or was it Sprite and beer, or something else? (no, I'm not kidding....) Oh well. Y'know, authentic stuff they really drink in Germany.
    You mean like a radler? It is usually beer/ale and lemon drink of some sort, but I know that other drinks work too. I think they are called panache in other places.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I suggest you get it catered and charge eveyone to come.

But don't invite Zoning Goddess

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Lemonade and Beer combined is called a Shandy over here- the thought of it is just gross! Apparently its a ladies drink...

Sorry Maister i dont have any worthy suggestions, just make sure you have plenty of beer and sauerkraut
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Well around here some people drink red wine and coke.... when they don't have enough money for a rum and coke... yup... it's the poor's rum and coke... I don't know how it tastes and I'm not willing to find out... I'm not fond of mixing drinks with coke.... it usually ends up messy

Oh and for beer additives... the biggest brewery in Valdivia (Kunstmann... or Patagonia as it is sold internationally) thought it'd be a nice thing to add a variety with honey... and the result was a cough syrup tasting beer... yuck!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    Actually, we've been looking for liederhosen. The only place so far I've found them is at the Bavarian Inn gift shop in Frankenmuth and they wanted something like $200 for 'em! I wish there was somewhere I could get 'em cheaper because I would wear them (along with the hat with the feather in it) and I imagine all the guests would have a good laugh at me.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ^^ Just get yourself some opaque pantyhose.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Actually, we've been looking for liederhosen. The only place so far I've found them is at the Bavarian Inn gift shop in Frankenmuth and they wanted something like $200 for 'em! I wish there was somewhere I could get 'em cheaper because I would wear them (along with the hat with the feather in it) and I imagine all the guests would have a good laugh at me.

ask and thou shalt receive

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    Inside? How am I going to be able to play my accordian? Don't ya wanna do the chicken dance?
    You got some nerve expecting to play accordian at my party again. I trusted you last time to provide the music and then you pulled that stunt where you embarrassed all the guests by performing the "weiner & schnitzel" song (my dog still questions his sexuality to this day!).

Maybe that stuff flies in Hamtramck, but not in the 'Zoo!!!

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Yep, Beer and Sprite (the closest thing to "Sprudel"), is called Radler and Red Wine with Coke is called a "Korea". Drank a butt-load of both, and let me tell you: don't knock it until you try it!!!
    For Octoberfest decorations I recommend white/blue checkered tableclothes and napkins. Must have beer, bratwurst and german potato salad. Remember: you have to add warm beef broth to the potato salad to add the flavor and maake it moist.
    Bring on Spring Training...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The Oktoberfest Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 29 Oct 2013, 9:41 AM
  2. Replies: 87
    Last post: 21 Nov 2011, 9:19 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 31 Dec 2006, 5:17 PM
  4. Planning a Bachelor Party.