Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Practicing what we preach: paying more to live close to work

Registered
    Aug 2005

Practicing what we preach: paying more to live close to work

would you pay $200 more a month in rent in order to be able to walk to work?

i'm looking for apartments and the ones i'm interested in all seem to be about $900 to $1100 a month. that seems to be market rate for this town. and i'm trying to justify whether or not it would be worth it to spend the extra $$ to live closer to the office so i wouldn't have to drive.

i'm willing to walk 2 miles each way to work. i figure that would 1. be a great way to get some much needed exercise. 2. save on gas and wear & tear on the car

what pros or cons do you see with this situation?

Moderator note:
    (nerudite)This seems like it could be it's own topic, so it has been split from RTDNTOTO.
    Last edited by nerudite; 02 Aug 2006 at 7:43 PM.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol
    The health pros are evident. How far do you drive currently? Will you save time by walking? I used to have a 1 hr one way drive to work. I lost 10 hrs a week of my precious life sitting in the car. Eventually, the stress of driving contributed to my weekly headaches.

I presume that your work place is in a downtown environment. So you can probably work and play in the same vicinity and have lots of choices (free of the vast monotony of suburbia).

1 bedroom apartments near "The Plaza" in Kansas City rent for $900 to $1,100 a month.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Aug 2004

i'm looking for apartments and the ones i'm interested in all seem to be about $900 to $1100 a month. that seems to be market rate for this town. and i'm trying to justify whether or not it would be worth it to spend the extra $$ to live closer to the office so i wouldn't have to drive.

i'm willing to walk 2 miles each way to work. i figure that would 1. be a great way to get some much needed exercise. 2. save on gas and wear & tear on the car

First off, what town are you looking in? I know you said you were looking in the NE area earlier - is that still in the plans? $900 a month doesn't seem all that high for NE

Pros:
    Exercise
    Less $$$ spent on gas/car maintenance/parking at work
    Ability to see the neighborhood from the sidewalk, not the inside of your car

Cons:
    Weather - can change suddenly somtimes
    Hard to carry stuff to/from work (lunch and/or briefcase, yes; extra workload, no)
    Stuck in office for lunch (unless eatery places are nearby)
    Will be very hot/very cold at arrival (depending on weather)

In general, I would go for the walkable apartment. But I'd have a back-up plan for bad weather days!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra
    But I'd have a back-up plan for bad weather days!
    Hey they make those, they are called hats and umbrellas. Of course, Dandy could get a Segway. Seriously, these things pay for themselves over and over. I've been an owner for over 3 years and still enjoying this baby.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Aug 2005
    thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    The health pros are evident. How far do you drive currently? Will you save time by walking?
    i currently don't drive because i don't work. but i just graduated and hope to start a new job in the next month or two, (just need to sign the final paperwork).

when i lived in/around NYC i had to walk approx. 2 miles to the office and i just built that in to my commute time.

Quote Originally posted by Salmissra
    First off, what town are you looking in? I know you said you were looking in the NE area earlier - is that still in the plans? $900 a month doesn't seem all that high for NE
    snip
    the town is in MA, south of Boston. i think the rent is reasonable for the area, just coming from the south and out of school, $1000 is a bit hard to swallow.

now a follow up to the previous question, would you pay more $$ for a 1BR apartment that is walkable to work? or would you choose a 2BR that is further away and cheaper? keep in mind it is just me and two kitties, some stuff but not the most ever.

Quote Originally posted by BUDGIE
    Hey they make those, they are called hats and umbrellas. Of course, Dandy could get a Segway. Seriously, these things pay for themselves over and over. I've been an owner for over 3 years and still enjoying this baby.
    where do you park your Segway? how do you keep people from stealing it? how's it over uneven terrain?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    where do you park your Segway? how do you keep people from stealing it? how's it over uneven terrain?
    I ride my segway right into City Hall using the handicapped ramp. Then I park in and plug it in in my office. Yes, I'm stealing the City's electricity to recharge my batteries, but it doesn't amount to a dime a day. It's as wide as my shoulders, so I can get it through almost any doorway and with a zero turn radius it's easy to move around in tighter spaces. It's fine on uneven terrain, sand, gravel, etc.... When you ride one, you know what to do when there is a change in surface.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    I ride my segway right into City Hall using the handicapped ramp. Then I park in and plug it in in my office. Yes, I'm stealing the City's electricity to recharge my batteries, but it doesn't amount to a dime a day. It's as wide as my shoulders, so I can get it through almost any doorway and with a zero turn radius it's easy to move around in tighter spaces. It's fine on uneven terrain, sand, gravel, etc.... When you ride one, you know what to do when there is a change in surface.
    hee hee. that must be quite the sight to see! where does one go about purchasing a Segway? how much do they cost?

Registered
    Feb 2000
    hee hee. that must be quite the sight to see! where does one go about purchasing a Segway? how much do they cost?
    Talk to one of these folks.

FOLKS

Registered
    Aug 2004
    thanks for the feedback!

now a follow up to the previous question, would you pay more $$ for a 1BR apartment that is walkable to work? or would you choose a 2BR that is further away and cheaper? keep in mind it is just me and two kitties, some stuff but not the most ever.
    There's negatives and benefits to both.

1 bedroom:
    Pro: walk to work, easy access to activities, less $$ spent on car items
    Con: cost more, not a lot of kittie play area, cramped if you have visitors

2 bedroom:
    Pro: cheaper, more play room, room for visitors
    Con: drive to work, more $$ on car expenses, not easy access to activities

I'd still go for the one bedroom, and just realize that you will be behind the eight ball for a while financially.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    The way I feel right now I would DEFINATELY go for the smaller apartment and walk. I am so wanting to downsize EVERYTHING I have right now, those choices seem easy.
    I would take the smaller apartment, see where you are in a year, see if you want to stay, save the extra money and make a decision in one year. By then, you may want to move again or perhaps you will have save a ton of cash not driving.

Good luck and congrats on the job??? Did I miss something?????

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    The way I feel right now I would DEFINATELY go for the smaller apartment and walk. I am so wanting to downsize EVERYTHING I have right now, those choices seem easy.
    I would take the smaller apartment, see where you are in a year, see if you want to stay, save the extra money and make a decision in one year. By then, you may want to move again or perhaps you will have save a ton of cash not driving.

Good luck and congrats on the job??? Did I miss something?????
    thanks! you didn't miss anything, because this is the first i've mentioned it. i don't want to say too much because i haven't signed anything yet but it looks pretty good. i've been recommended for a postion in MA. on monday i meet with the Town Manager to officially be appointed & sign paperwork etc.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    thanks! you didn't miss anything, because this is the first i've mentioned it. i don't want to say too much because i haven't signed anything yet but it looks pretty good. i've been recommended for a postion in MA. on monday i meet with the Town Manager to officially be appointed & sign paperwork etc.
    Well I won't jinx it, jsut let us know the outcome!!!!!!
    Don't you have a boyfriend?? Will he be moving too?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Congrats, d_w. Great news.
    thanks, RJ!! i'm pretty excited. i'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything works out. i don't see why it wouldn't but i don't want to assume...

Quote Originally posted by Jaxspra
    Well I won't jinx it, jsut let us know the outcome!!!!!!
    Don't you have a boyfriend?? Will he be moving too?
    still have the BF, he has one more year until he's finished with his dissertation. during that time he'll stay in the south and look for jobs in my area.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Congrats! I vote, go for the smaller apt close to work and decide if you need more space when the BF moves up there!

Registered
    May 2005
    My family moved a few months ago to be closer to work and my son's school. We pay $150 more a month to rent the house, but we make up for it in gas not used, as amazing as that may sound. Plus the job pays a little more than I was making, so it works out quite nicely.

Aside from the proximity to work, our quality of life has greatly improved because of the neghborhood.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 2005
    We have done this since we moved down here. Of course, it is easier to do when you are two and can share a car. I don't know if I would pay more to live closer to work if I already owned a car of my own. I guess I would calculate the cost of the miles I would put on the car, the fuel I would use, and the time I would waste if I didn't pay that extra $200 and lived farther away. Are there any attractions, aside from work, that you may want to live closer to (i.e. mountain, lake, ocean, etc.)?

I was lucky. My work is downtown near all the bars and restaurants and in a historic neighborhood.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Funny in Michigan, the worst neighborhoods are a mile out of downtowns; with the cheapest rents. I live a few miles out, why? Cuz I can live in a nice affordable house and I don't care what the school district is like cuz I have no kids. I grew up in a hellhole, so just about anywhere I live is a step-up from what I was conditioned to expect as normal.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Two hundred a month? No problem! I was willing to take a 10K pay cut to have a car free commute (luckily, I didn't have to). The funny thing is I just got a flier in the mail today from the local rideshare organization stateing that the average driver here pays almost $5800 a year just for gas. Factor in other automobile costs, lost time, and the eventual medical treatment for an ulcer, and it looks like a no brainer to me.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Considering i work in teh antithesis of where I would want to live, I coul dnot see paying more to live here. The crazy thing is that there are people in my office who live closer to teh office than i do, but it takes them longer to get to work because of traffic.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Well, look at more than just where you work. I made mistake 3 years ago when I moved within walking distance of my current job. But other than my job, I had limited activity in the community and it was far from pedestrian friendly.

So, I moved an hour away from where work because it had everything else that I wanted, is very pedestrian friendly, has all the aspects of a community that I want to live, and it created the potential for a completely pedestrian lifestyle for the GF.

Besides, in a few years, there are a couple of private *darkside* planning firms that I would like to get into, both within walking distance of the new place.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I think you would earn back almost that whole $200 in a month - even if you're driving a small car, a tank saved each week would add up to at least $150 a month.

you'll also be getting a cut in insurance for putting less miles on the vehicle each month.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I pay quite a bit more for a smaller house in an in-town neighborhood closer to the campus (where my office is located). I (and Mrs. H) are happy because we have short commutes and are able to go home for lunch (which we often do), but it is my dog that has made the biggest sacrifice with the small yard.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Walk! Walk! Walk!

I walk ot work and I love it. My alk is shorter, about 15 minutes but I never arrive stressed out and if this Californian can survive Boston weather, so can others.

It is important that youfind a neighborhood where there are other things to do as well. You may not want to give up your car altogether, but you certainly can drastically cut down on your driving.

Registered
    May 2003
    I couldn't afford a place much closer to work. I live a hair over six miles out now. I've maintained fantasies about walking to work, but once when my bike blew a tire halfway home one day I pushed it the rest of the way, and after that was cured of the desire to walk the whole way.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    We do need to practice what we preach. I just started my first "real job" a few weeks ago. I am renting a home from which I can see my office (3 blocks) for $450 a month. The plus to living in the Midwest. I can tell you that nothing beats leaving the office and heading home for lunch. I find that alone to be saving me a ton of money. I used to go out for lunch all the time. Now I walk home everyday and make a sandwich! I love it! Living close to your job definitely has reduced my driving. I have taken my car out once in the past 2 weeks!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Employers paying people to live in Detroit
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 06 Oct 2011, 6:39 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 18 Mar 2011, 9:40 AM
  3. Live/work loft
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 6