Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: High gas prices = more bikes on the road?

Registered
    Jan 2006

High gas prices = more bikes on the road?

Anybody noticing more bike commuters these days?

Registered
    Feb 2005
    we are here, but i think its also the wonderful cool weather we've been having

Registered
    Nov 2005
    many more here in denver. 50cc scooters are HOT as well. i commute with both (not at once, obviously), which i think is a nice combination.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    It certainly seems like I've seen more commuter cyclists this summer than I have in years past. Some evenings there are two or three obvious commuters heading out of downtown, and I often see the same people every day.

Purely anecdotal, though... [engineer]We need a count at that location[/engineer].

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I have definitly noticed it, of course, I've always been a bike commuter.

Another thing...instead of looks like "he's a nut" for riding, I get looks of jealousy

Registered
    Oct 2000
    our staff recommendations for bike rack locations on site plans have not been getting so many snorts of derision at Planning Board meetings.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    I spent all of 2005 away from Baltimore; when I returned this year I did notice a definite uptick in the bicycling population. It is largely due to gas prices - thankfully, but I also attribute it somewhat to the coming of age of the echo boomers who outnumber the crop of kids born in the 70's such as myself. With the level of street crime and automotive hostility here, few bicyclists over 30 have avoided getting mugged, doored or pancaked at some point. Therefore, most people rapidly give up on biking as they get older. After what's happened to me here, I'd have to see 10 times the number of bicyclists before I'd feel like riding a bike in Baltimore wasn't something close to a death wish. But I'm still not part of the problem since I do not drive a car.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Registered
    May 2005
    I've noticed more, but I'm not sure that translates into there actually being more. When I used to see a bicyclist/motorcyclist I wouldn't really think about why they were choosing that form of transportation. But when I see them now, I automattically equate it to high gas prices. I think in some way, we're just linking it together in our head and that there isn't really that many more bikers, or just a marginal amount.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I'm in a college town, so we already had a pretty significant bike population. However, it seems to have increased since class is not in session right now and I'm still seeing a bunch of them around town.

Motorcycles and scooters (especially 50-100cc scooters and 250cc motorcycles) have really taken off though--to a point that we are starting to discuss modifications to our parking regulations. I find it a little strange because we do not have a motorcycle dealer in town and just one scooter shop (that is also a bike shop).

I can tell you that public meetings on the neighborhood plan and downtown master plan projects I'm working on have had a much higher discussion of bike facilities than in the past.

Another person in the office is working on a insert for the utility bill discussing road etiquette for cyclists and drivers in an attempt to prevent any problems and get everyone on the same page.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I've been seeing the scooters and moped everywhere. I think i may get one.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Jeff
    I second this statement. People are actually using them to get to work and I live in a community of 7,000. They are becomng more popular. I still see more children using them to get around town rather than adults.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'd love a moped to use up at the cabin. Anyone know of folding ones that can fit into trunks of Sables? It would be great to zoom around the two tracks of N Michigan with one, a delorme and my compass. I sure the heck don't want to buy a big car/pick-up just to have a moped.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I would too- expect I have pride

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller
    I would too- expect I have pride
    hmm isn't that 'except'
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Was just doing some research....60-80 mpg.

How muc pride does that instill in you?

i found a place, GS Scooters? (google "scooters" its on eof the paid ads up top) $899 for a 49cc scooter.

I've been seeing the scooters and moped everywhere.
    I've seen them in my community as well and it's not just the people burning off DWI's either. We will see if this continues come winter.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

     
    Registered
    May 2006
    I've noticed more people commuting on bikes for sure. I work downtown Chicago lifeguarding right on the Lakefront, and we have a bikepath that's basically the equivelent of the Lake Shore Drive highway for bikes. Every morning around rush hour i'm there i see much more people in semi-buisness attire or just obviously going to work and again at evening rush time. Much more than I have in past years that is to say. During the day though, not too much difference

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally posted by jmac View post
    Purely anecdotal, though... [engineer]We need a count at that location[/engineer].
    But it is true...exactly true. Engineer pauses, stretches back into reclining chair as adjusting gaze toward Planner, then adds, "...and we don't have staff time to get any bicycle counts. Do you?"

Registered
    Jun 2003
    More runners (recreational), but no more bicycle commuters as usual. And with gas dropping to below $2/gallon, bicycle will remain a recreational weekend machine for most Americans.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 26 Apr 2011, 12:40 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 17 Jun 2008, 9:15 PM
  3. Desegregating cars, bikes, etc. . .
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 06 Jan 2005, 8:53 AM
  4. Replies: 55
    Last post: 03 Jun 2004, 3:05 PM