Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Know anyone who doesn't like to laugh?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Know anyone who doesn't like to laugh?

About 80% of the women-seeking-men profiles on any online dating service will include the like "I love to laugh!". Increasingly, new women-seeking-men profiles have names like "luv2laugh1977" or "LoveToLaughOMGLOL", or something following the same theme. "Love to laugh" is the "work hard play hard" of 2006 in the online dating world.

I'm wondering ... since so many women out there say they love to laugh, there must be people out there -- men and women -- who don't like laughing. Aside from Marine Corps drill sergeants and the kind of women who you would find attending the Michigan Womyn's Music Festival, are there people who don't enjoy laughing?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    About 80% of the women-seeking-men profiles on any online dating service will include the like "I love to laugh!". Increasingly, new women-seeking-men profiles have names like "luv2laugh1977" or "LoveToLaughOMGLOL", or something following the same theme. "Love to laugh" is the "work hard play hard" of 2006 in the online dating world.

I'm wondering ... since so many women out there say they love to laugh, there must be people out there -- men and women -- who don't like laughing. Aside from Marine Corps drill sergeants and the kind of women who you would find attending the Michigan Womyn's Music Festival, are there people who don't enjoy laughing?
    I have a dear friend that I don't think I have ever seen laugh heartily. At the most he will utter a "hah" or crack a grin. He does have a very wicked sense of humor though so it's not like he's a total stick in the mud, he just prefers not to show amusement to others. Perhaps it is because he is a professor........
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    No one enjoys a good laugh more than I do. Except perhaps for my wife and some of her friends. Oh, yes, and Captain Johnson. Come to think of it, most people enjoy a good laugh more than I do, but that's beside the point.....

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Its such an empty description because different people laugh at different things. Some people laugh at fart jokes and some people laugh at esoteric, intellectual humor.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    People who don't laugh at a given joke tend to fall into two camps (there are admittedly other reasons - such as the teller having poor delivery, timing or context): either they truly didn't 'get' the joke (i.e. some reference/connection is lost on them) or their attitudes about the subject of the joke are such that they take offense to someone joking about it (how dare someone treat this subject lightly).
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    Its such an empty description because different people laugh at different things. Some people laugh at fart jokes and some people laugh at esoteric, intellectual humor.
    I "luv2laff" at both!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    No one enjoys a good laugh more than I do. Except perhaps for my wife and some of her friends. Oh, yes, and Captain Johnson. Come to think of it, most people enjoy a good laugh more than I do, but that's beside the point.....

Good one. My morning smile for the day, though I did not laugh.

Women often say that, of course. But then again they do give you the "skunk look" when you do something funny - like pass gas, play a cruel joke on a stranger, mock their friends or family, etc. You know, funny stuff.

One female trait concerning humor that amuses me is when you say something funny. Sometimes the woman will not laugh, but she will say "That's funny." Well, thank you, dear, I did think it was a witty bon mot, but I appreciate the affirmation, if not the actual laughter.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    are there people who don't enjoy laughing?
    I like to laugh, and I laugh more these days than I used to, but I am apparently a fairly solemn individual. I say this based on a couple of things:

1) A friend of my sister's asked her once if I were so serious "due to having had kids so young" (22 and 24 -- it's not like I was a teen mom). My sister told her "Nope, she was always like that."

2) When my oldest was little, he made it his mission in life to get me to laugh because I laughed so seldomly.

One of the female Supreme Court Justices laughed so seldom that her kids kept a book entitled "Mommy Laughed" where they would note times she laughed and what caused it. My kids could relate to that.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    My mum laughs at some things, but other things that the general population would find amusing she just looks at you as if you were an idiot and tells you that your not funny.

Its a crack up cause dad likes to tell really really bad and at times pathetic jokes- its gets up her nose so much- now that is funny!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Why dogs laugh at fences
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 Aug 2012, 9:55 AM
  2. The laugh track
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 08 Apr 2011, 1:02 PM
  3. You laugh, you lose #2: the sequel
    Friday Afternoon Club