Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Dweeby/Nerdy Guys and Their Hobbies

Registered
    Feb 2004

Dweeby/Nerdy Guys and Their Hobbies

What is it with dweeby young guys and their hobbies? They always seem to want to make their hobbies appear cooler than they really are. Doesn't matter if it's radio control -

Cars -

Dungeons & Dragons -

or gun collecting -

Anyone detect a pattern here? Admittedly, I was a D&D geek back in jr. high, but never once met any D&D enthusiasts who resembled the convention participant depicted above.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2003
    That D&D girl looks like the "booth bimbos" that they hire to work at computer expos. You go to the expos and the BBs are the only females in the room. Clearly the companies are trying to use sex to sell their absurdly unsexy products. The nerds know what the companies are doing and even joke about it (hence the name for the girls) but they like looking at the BBs nonetheless.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I'll take "Activities that will not get you laid" for $200.

So Maister, could you not find any pics of hot chicks using a HAM Radio?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    So Maister, could you not find any pics of hot chicks using a HAM Radio?
    Ask and ye shall receive!

Edit - note the essence of the whole uncool hobby/hot chick connection is not so much that the hot chicks themselves engage in the hobby (hence no picture of chicks using HAM radios themselves), but rather, they are deeply impressed 'groupies' who oooh and ahh their approval/affections upon the oh so cool and smart geeks who participate in such hobbies.
    Last edited by Maister; 16 Aug 2006 at 11:26 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2003
    ^-- I think those girls are laughing at them and not with them.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Motorcycle enthusiasts could be considered geeky (those loud and shiny motorized gadgets sure occupy their time, talking about the trechnical specifications of their fuel injection systems), yet their conventions and get-togethers oftentimes have hot (and trashy) chicks gathering around and on their gadgets, oftentimes topless. They are not bystanders and do participate, so you can't call the chicks bimbos (okay, some are really bimbos).

This just begs the question then, what exactly deems a guy and his hobby dweeby and nerdy? We need a Cyburbian who is astute in matters of social inequity... where's dobopoq when you need him?

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    Motorcycle enthusiasts could be considered geeky...yet their conventions and get-togethers oftentimes have hot (and trashy) chicks gathering around and on their gadgets, oftentimes topless. They are not bystanders and do participate, so you can't call the chicks bimbos (okay, some are really bimbos).
    In my experience (and we have a lot of biker events here) the "ladies" that actually participate in the activity are, how shall I say, of limited appeal (though perhaps I'm not going to the right events)...

Its the ones hired for the shows and who pose for the calendars that possess the more marketable assets, though I am not sure about their interest in motorcycles...

Of course, this still doesn't explain NASCAR...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I am very pleased to see that model railroading does not appear to fall under the category of dweeby/nerdy hobbies.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    I am very pleased to see that model railroading does not appear to fall under the category of dweeby/nerdy hobbies.
    FWIW I did look specifically for such pictures but found no suitable photos (not that you, Mr.-non-Imageshack-viewer, would appreciate this fact )

Registered
    May 2003
    Some things can't even attract hired chicks.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    Motorcycle enthusiasts could be considered geeky
    What did you just say, punk?

FDC's and stamps, were are all the chicks!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Just so long as you don't wear the engineer's cap when you are running the trains. That would be geeky.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister
    What did you just say, punk?
    Ya know, isn't that dude the band teacher at North Middle School?!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Model Railroading sounds interesting.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    I suppose hot chicks will be flocking to this hobby in droves now that you've expressed and interest.

Bring on the gratuitous caboose innuendo.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    That D&D chick looks exactly that an intern we had at my first job. I haven't seen her in years, but I really don't think she'd be doing that. Or maybe she would.

Anyway, if the idea of bimbos and bikini girls taking an interest in their geeky hobby helps them to cope with life and feel better about themselves, then I say we let them be.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN
    Q. What do model train sets and women's breasts have in common?
    A. Both are intended for children, but it's the fathers that always end up playing with them.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Tide
    Q. What do model train sets and women's breasts have in common?
    A. Both are intended for children, but it's the fathers that always end up playing with them.
    LOL. There is my unexpected laugh of the day.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2001
    What about comic book chicks [see bottom-most image with the girl on the right in pink] that are into cosplay?

http://www.thecomicsreview.com/megacon2006/?dir=cosplay

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister

Dungeons & Dragons -

Anyone detect a pattern here? Admittedly, I was a D&D geek back in jr. high, but never once met any D&D enthusiasts who resembled the convention participant depicted above.
    You didn't game with me.

(Unfortunately, I no longer have a readily available copy of me at 17 in a string bikini to link to. This would be a much better rebuttal if I did. )

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. hobbies
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 09 Apr 2014, 4:11 PM
  2. Dorkstorm - top 10 geekiest hobbies
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 47
    Last post: 05 Nov 2004, 5:21 PM
  3. Top 10 Coolest Hobbies
    Friday Afternoon Club