Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Can you still intern if not a planning student?

Registered
    Aug 2006

Can you still intern if not a planning student?

Hi there

I'm thinking of going into planning. Before taking the plunge, I'd like to job shadow or better yet, intern. Are municipalities or private firms interested in interns without any planning background? Is it possible to intern part time?

My background is in high tech (NOT as programmer): I've been developing courses for a big software firm, so I have a lots of juicy transferable office skills like learning complex software quickly (rather essential for current job); explaining tech concepts and jargon to the masses; writing and analyzing reports; knowing all the Dilbert characters; and starting at LCD screens for hours on end (hopefully the latter is not the essence of planning, but figure it's a helpful trait for interns).

I also have an high-level understanding of GIS from an intro course taken a few years back, and know Crystal Reports really well.

Would this be useful in an intern, even without having taken any planning courses (yet)?

Thanks!

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Heck, yeah!!

With those skills and a desire to learn, you should be able to snag an internship. And if you play it right, your internship may help you get into school.

Good luck!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Aug 2006
    You should have no problem obtaining an internship in a public or private planning organization/agency. Your skills would be very useful in planning, however, demostration of your intent to obtain your planning education would also be very helpful in your application to possible employers.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 18
    Last post: 08 Jun 2012, 10:22 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 22 Aug 2011, 3:25 PM
  3. Planning intern wage increase?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 11 Jan 2009, 11:11 PM
  4. Portfolio for planning intern interview
    Career Development and Advice