Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Property Taxes

Registered
    Sep 1999
    $1300 or so for home valued by property appraiser at $240,000. Thank you, Save Our Homes!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Michigan has an odd system that capped your taxes back in 1994 and raises it at the rate of inflation. This really hurts those that move around alot. My taxes have only gone up about $400 over the last 12 years, and that includes a strange switcheroo the city did to our garbage service. The reduced the millage by 3 mills and added a $300 fee. This was a loophole the city found. Hopefully it will stop the bleeding for a while.

Considering all the services that are included (a large tree was removed including stump from the easement, my street resurfaced, weekly garbage pick up (with a year with no bulk system ), police, fire, rec centers, public health) its really not all that bad.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I paid $940.79 in 2005 for property tax. The tax value was $109K and was assessed at 4% of that for a millage rate of .2713....total tax levied was $1185 but there is a property tax relief benefit for owner occupied property for $267.

We will not be reassessed in 2006, but we will be in 2007. Also a new tax package has been rolled out for the 2007 year which will mean that the property tax on owner occupied property will be reduced by the school district tax which currently comprises 55% of my tax bill.

In exchange for the reduction the general sales tax will increase to 7% from 6% but the grocery tax would decrease from the current 6% to 3%. Rental property and commercial properties will still have the school tax assessed. I believe they have also capped how big an increase that reassessment will bring.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    It makes me sad to read all these tales of soaring real estate prices. Around here, the market has been dead for the past few years. Few houses in my city sell for over $200K, and houses have been sitting on the market for months. Predatory lending is starting to become a problem.

I'm afraid about what's going to happen when it comes time to retire. If the average house in the Cleveland area sells for ... oh, $500K in 2030, and $1,500,000 everywhere else in the country, I'm trapped. Same thing with people in many other eastern Great Lakes cities.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    $3000 for a house worth 360k (we didn't pay that, yipes - a 230k mortgage is tough on us enough! )

town just did a reval...

Registered
    Oct 2005
    None of you have any right to B!tch until you come live in NJ. Over inflated housing prices, 2 br. townhouses going for 250-300k, 3br th. over 320k. Taxes for me next year on a 2 br. 1400sf tonwhouse will be $4400. The town just built a new high school on green acres (and the basement is already filling with water). On top of the taxes, this town doesn't do garbage pickup, each development or individual home owner has to contract out their garbage services.

My parents are in a nice 4 br. split with just over 1/2 acre. They pay over $8,000, and for what? The town gives back so little in services.

I think this is a NJ problem with property taxes, but maybe the politicos in other states have finally realized you can fleece your tax payers and make your friends and family rich through no-bid contracts and kick backs.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jul 2005
    $4600-ish on a $190,000 valuation with homestead exemption. But that is mostly government school taxes for other people's runtlings. Of course, offset by no income tax. City taxes going up this year thanks to the new bond program , but still less than average due to good mix of residential and commercial in my city.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Philly rules. I pay $750/yr.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Moderator note: