Urban planning community

Poll results: Should Prostitution be Legal?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Im female; No - Prostitution is inherently exploitative of women.

    0 0%
  • Im female; No it tends to encourage the trafficking of children and pedophilia.

    2 4.44%
  • Im female; No - the selling of sex is immoral.

    0 0%
  • Im female; No sex should only take place between a married couple.

    0 0%
  • Im female; No - casual sex encourages the spread of STDs.

    0 0%
  • Im female; No - it encourages infidelity.

    0 0%
  • Im female; No some other reason(s) (please explain below).

    0 0%
  • Im female; Yes - to ensure the safety of sex workers and emphasize condom use.

    5 11.11%
  • Im female; Yes some other reason(s) (please explain below).

    5 11.11%
  • Im male; No Prostitution is inherently exploitative of women.

    1 2.22%
  • Im male; No - it tends to encourage the trafficking of children and pedophilia.

    1 2.22%
  • Im male; No - the selling of sex is immoral.

    2 4.44%
  • Im male; No sex should only take place between a married couple.

    0 0%
  • Im male; No - casual sex encourages the spread of STDs.

    2 4.44%
  • Im male; No it encourages infidelity.

    0 0%
  • I'm male; No - some other reason(s) (please explain below).

    4 8.89%
  • I'm male; Yes to ensure the safety of sex workers and emphasize condom use.

    20 44.44%
  • Im male; Yes - some other reason(s) (please explain below).

    3 6.67%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 89

Thread: Should Prostitution be Legal?

  1. #1
    Cyburbian dobopoq's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Southern Antarctica
    Posts
    1,003

    Should Prostitution be Legal?

    Following in the footsteps of the Public Breastfeeding Thread: http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25748, and the Female Torsal Nudity Thread: http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25879, I present this poll to better understand attitudes toward prostitution and the logic behind those attitudes.

    In the United States, prostitution is currently illegal in every state except for Rhode Island, and several counties in Nevada. There is a wide spectrum of different legal statuses toward prostitution in the world Far too many to go into detail with here, but suffice it to say that U.S. laws regarding prostitution are among the more conservative of western developed nations.

    So, I inquire, what do fellow cyburbians think about prostitution? Should Prostitution be Legal? Choose the poll option that best approximates the main reason for your position. Feel free to choose other as well; I cant anticipate every possible reason, but I do think it useful to see which factors are the most crucial to people. Initially, I shall refrain from elucidating my views on the subject although Im sure many of you could ascertain my opinion judging from my wording of the poll choices. As always, your participation and input is greatly appreciated.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

  2. #2
    Cyburbian otterpop's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Down by Dun Ringill
    Posts
    6,167
    Blog entries
    6
    I do not think prostitutioin should be illegal. As someone saaid (I don't recall who), "Why should it be illegal to sell something you can give away?"

    Women have been renting access to their bodies and men have been paying for it since time began. It is the oldest profession, or is the second oldest. I can't remember if farming is the first?

    Legal brothels provide a place where the hookers can ply their trade in a safe and hygenic manner and the johns have a place where they won't get robbed or assaulted.

    Nevada has it legalized and it is a better way for a tourist to spend his money than gaming.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

    ~ Otterpop ~

  3. #3
    If you had to pay for law enforcement out of your own pockets, would you pay to hire police to harass prostitutes or their clients? Is it worth it at all?

  4. #4
    Cyburbian natski's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In my own little bubble
    Posts
    2,564
    Morally i dont like it, but who i am to judge. I guess the whole idea of making it illegal is one of morals- but it also means all the other illegal stuff that goes hand in hand with prostitution- such as drugs, assault etc etc, is also kept under control.

    Oh and Jaws we do pay for law enforcement- Its called taxes.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

  5. #5
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Legal brothels provide a place where the hookers can ply their trade in a safe and hygenic manner and the johns have a place where they won't get robbed or assaulted.
    I don't remember her name nor the name of her book, but one prostitute who was also politically active (ie an advocate for the rights of prostitutes) stated that "legalization" of prostitution just further oppresses prostitutes. She was not for its legalization. She was for having it decriminalized. The distinction she made was that legalizing it would involve laws governing prostitution but decriminalizing it just meant that you couldn't be arrested for selling your services.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    Oh and Jaws we do pay for law enforcement- Its called taxes.
    How much you pay in taxes has nothing to do with the product you get out of it.

  7. #7
    Cyburbian Plus Zoning Goddess's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 1999
    Location
    400 miles from Orlando
    Posts
    13,822
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Women have been renting access to their bodies and men have been paying for it since time began.
    People have been killing each other since time began, does that make it right? Would you like to have no other option in life than to have sex with people who are totally gross?

    I am still confounded by Heidi Fleiss's idea of a male brothel. Think about it from a guy's perspective. Would you want to have to get it up for an eighty-year old woman?

  8. #8
    Cyburbian natski's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In my own little bubble
    Posts
    2,564
    Quote Originally posted by jaws View post
    How much you pay in taxes has nothing to do with the product you get out of it.
    Thats not the point- you pay taxes which your elected representatives chose to dispense- if people were that unhappy about prostitution being illegal, they would campaign their elected reps about it.

    sorry getting a bit off topic
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

  9. #9
    Zoning Lord Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Jukin' City
    Posts
    16,768
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    .... Think about it from a guy's perspective. Would you want to have to get it up for an eighty-year old woman?
    That all depends....what does she look like and how much money she's paying.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    Thats not the point- you pay taxes which your elected representatives chose to dispense- if people were that unhappy about prostitution being illegal, they would campaign their elected reps about it.

    sorry getting a bit off topic
    Never mind what other people would do. That's not the point. If you had to pay to combat prostitution, would it be worth your money?

    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Would you like to have no other option in life than to have sex with people who are totally gross?

    I am still confounded by Heidi Fleiss's idea of a male brothel. Think about it from a guy's perspective. Would you want to have to get it up for an eighty-year old woman?
    It's not true that prostitutes have no other options in life. This just happens to be their most lucrative option. There are prostitutes who enjoy their jobs. Different people enjoy doing different things. I'm sure there are prostitutes who think your job is boring and they couldn't imagine spending their life doing that.

  11. #11
    Cyburbian imaplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    Snarkville
    Posts
    6,593
    yes it should be legal. Its going to happen anyways- why not make it safer for all involved.

    Sure it would suck if that was your only option in life but it's illegal now and still people's only option in life.

  12. #12
    Cyburbian Plus Zoning Goddess's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 1999
    Location
    400 miles from Orlando
    Posts
    13,822
    Quote Originally posted by jaws View post
    It's not true that prostitutes have no other options in life. This just happens to be their most lucrative option. There are prostitutes who enjoy their jobs. Different people enjoy doing different things. I'm sure there are prostitutes who think your job is boring and they couldn't imagine spending their life doing that.
    That is SUCH a GUY THING. You want to get your rocks off; so sad you have to pay. Such is life. Lose some weight, lose the zits, dress better, etc. It is pathetic that men would pay for this. Or that women would pay for this. It is totally moronic and selfish to think a woman you have to pay is actually enjoying it.

  13. #13
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    if people were that unhappy about prostitution being illegal, they would campaign their elected reps about it.
    I doubt that. Kind of like the marijuana question: if you are interested enough in pushing to legalize it, you are highly likely to be suspected of participating in some way. Thus, you risk making yourself a potential target of a legal investigation, which would be a bad thing if you are actually engaging in such illegal activities. Even if you aren't engaging prostitution, lots of people who are essentially law-abiding citizens can get arrested and charged with something if someone is determined to dig hard enough. Even if you aren't doing anything illegal, it may still ruin your reputation, harm your career, or otherwise damage your life via ye olde Whispers and Insinuations.

    So I think most people are likely to have "armchair opinions" on this one: they may tell you their thoughts on it in casual discussion but are not very likely to take any kind of action towards starting some political campaign. Heck, most people aren't going to start any kind of grass roots type movement even for non-scandalous issues that they have opinions about. So why would they start one that is so potentially problematic?

  14. #14

    Registered
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Solano County, California
    Posts
    6,468
    Quote Originally posted by jaws View post
    It's not true that prostitutes have no other options in life. This just happens to be their most lucrative option. There are prostitutes who enjoy their jobs. Different people enjoy doing different things. I'm sure there are prostitutes who think your job is boring and they couldn't imagine spending their life doing that.
    LOL. I have to admit this one was funny.

    Lawyers are pretty unhappy, I've read. Perhaps more unhappy than prostitutes. There are different types of "prostitution" after all.

    Myself: Street prostitution-probably should remain criminal. Brothels and escort services? Why waste time and taxpayers' resources fighting 'em.

  15. #15
    Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Northwestern Ohio
    Posts
    9,327
    As a card-carrying Libertarian.....and a, gasp, GUY.....I pulled the lever for "legal". I would rather have the criminal justice system going after violent perps. What I want to do with my money is my business. What Suzie wants to do on the corner is her business. (Age-specific, of course.....no kids.)

    BTW.....there was a whorehouse on Woodville Road, east of Toledo, back in the 1960's and 1970's. It was above a restaurant called "Around The Clock". They had a staircase in the back, you would ring the bell, and they would buzz the door open.

    No, this Bear didn't waste his money. But I did go there and wait in the parking lot while my friend (Mickey) explored the northern Ohio "ladies of the night". I kidded him afterward, because we went to a bowling alley (in suburban Rossford) afterward and picked up some girls. (Regular girls.)

    Johnbearnot
    Occupy Cyburbia!

  16. #16
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    That is SUCH a GUY THING. You want to get your rocks off; so sad you have to pay. Such is life. Lose some weight, lose the zits, dress better, etc. It is pathetic that men would pay for this. Or that women would pay for this. It is totally moronic and selfish to think a woman you have to pay is actually enjoying it.
    I didn't say they enjoyed the sex, I said they enjoyed their work. I once heard a prostitute being interviewed say that she found satisfaction in putting old men back in touch with their sexuality. I don't really understand why, but I have to take her word for it.

    Would they get the same satisfaction from being a receptionist or stacking shelves at Wal-Mart? I don't think so. And the pay would be a lot worse.

    Quote Originally posted by BKM View post
    LOL. I have to admit this one was funny.

    Lawyers are pretty unhappy, I've read. Perhaps more unhappy than prostitutes. There are different types of "prostitution" after all.

    Myself: Street prostitution-probably should remain criminal. Brothels and escort services? Why waste time and taxpayers' resources fighting 'em.
    What goes on in the street isn't a matter of criminality but a matter of using the property appropriately. If you allowed anything to go on in the street it would be overwhelmed by street vendors looking to take advantage of the free rent.

    edit: Actually thinking about it I remember I met a woman once who was a bar-licensed lawyer but chose to work as a dominatrix instead.

    Takes all kinds of people.
    Last edited by jaws; 21 Aug 2006 at 9:55 PM.

  17. #17
    It's already legal, pornography. Comes with a contract and all that good stuff.

  18. #18
    Cyburbian Plus Zoning Goddess's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 1999
    Location
    400 miles from Orlando
    Posts
    13,822
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    As a card-carrying Libertarian.....and a, gasp, GUY.....I pulled the lever for "legal". I would rather have the criminal justice system going after violent perps. What I want to do with my money is my business. What Suzie wants to do on the corner is her business. (Age-specific, of course.....no kids.)

    y'know, you guys just "haha" this like it's not a big deal. If I want to get my rocks off and she's willing, we'll go there. So if your sister was screwing 20 guys a night to make the rent, would you care? Are these women "throwaways"? Lesser people?

    "What Suzie wants to do on the corner is her business." How many times would you be willing to sell yourself, and don't believe all your clients would be hotties. It's convenient, it's a good deal for men, and as long as it doesn't impact YOUR family, you don't give a damn.

  19. #19
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally posted by dobopoq View post
    Feel free to choose other as well;
    You didn't actually include the option of "other". I think "other" could be "decriminalize it but don't legalize it" per the political opinions of an actual prostitute from some book I read a zillion years ago.


    Since I wasn't given the option of "other", I voted "yes, other reason". I'm not sure I want to get into my reasons at this time. It looks likely that I would be torn to pieces (and may be anyway, for saying this much).

  20. #20
    Cyburbian natski's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In my own little bubble
    Posts
    2,564
    We talked about this whole issue in a social planning class at uni- and had a prostiute come and speak to us.

    There are two sides to the story- some women do it as it is the only means they know/have in which to make money and stay alive. Some women (as Jaws mentioned) actually somewhat enjoy their job- JOB being the operative word, as thats what they see it as being.

    For some it is a matter of choice, for others it isnt- there is no right or wrong answer.

    I guess another thing i would worry about is if women were forced into prostitution- and its ramifications if it were legal.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

  21. #21
    Cyburbian Plus Zoning Goddess's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 1999
    Location
    400 miles from Orlando
    Posts
    13,822
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    Some women (as Jaws mentioned) actually somewhat enjoy their job-
    I don't believe that for a minute. Men just delude themselves into believing women are panting for them to pay big $$ to get laid.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    y'know, you guys just "haha" this like it's not a big deal. If I want to get my rocks off and she's willing, we'll go there. So if your sister was screwing 20 guys a night to make the rent, would you care? Are these women "throwaways"? Lesser people?
    How is she going to pay rent if you take her highest-paying job opportunity away?

  23. #23
    Cyburbian Plus Zoning Goddess's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 1999
    Location
    400 miles from Orlando
    Posts
    13,822
    Quote Originally posted by jaws View post
    How is she going to pay rent if you take her highest-paying job opportunity away?

    How does a man do it? Get 2 jobs? Move in with a friend? Dumbass, you guys just want women to be hookers.

    Moderator note:
    (nerudite) Please don't start calling people names. Keep it a civil debate por favor.

  24. #24
    Cyburbian Michele Zone's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    I guess another thing i would worry about is if women were forced into prostitution- and its ramifications if it were legal.
    Lots of women are already forced into prostitution. And because they are breaking the law, I think it makes it harder to get out. You can't exactly put "hooker" on your resume. And how can you turn to the police to help you against the pimp who is forcing you into this when the most likely outcome is your own arrest? Plus the pimps who are willing to beat, rape, etc their women are generally dangerous. But, again, the fact that she is doing something illegal makes it that much harder to try to find a way out. (How do you support yourself in the mean time??)

    The pimps and johns are rarely arrested. It's the prostitutes who get arrested. In that regard, I think making prostitution illegal is part and parcel of oppressing women.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    How does a man do it? Get 2 jobs? Move in with a friend? Dumbass, you guys just want women to be hookers.

    Moderator note:
    (nerudite) Please don't start calling people names. Keep it a civil debate por favor.
    I want women to be free to live how they want to live. If they prefer to be highly-paid prostitutes instead of living as a charge to someone else it is their right, and you have no right to force them to stop.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 02 Oct 2012, 4:19 PM
  2. Uses Legal brothels in Ontario
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 27 Mar 2012, 4:36 PM
  3. Help with legal desc. please.
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 14 Mar 2009, 10:16 AM
  4. Replies: 69
    Last post: 19 Mar 2008, 6:36 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last post: 11 Oct 2001, 10:19 AM