Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Personal Statement Assistance

Registered
    Aug 2006

Personal Statement Assistance

This may help other individuals as well...

I have been reading alot online about writing a statement and I have stated and have a draft, but for some reason I am hesitant about the statementand what specifically is best to add or keep out, etc...

So, if anyone has any suggestions, leave them here, in the meantime, I'l continue working

Thanks, Matthew

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Some of the best I got, this was straight from the Admissions Counselor for the school I'm doing my MSCE at now.....

"Just tell us what you want to do w/ your degree,and why you think you'll be successful. Make it short and sweet."

All the online resources really psyche you out...unless going to Med School, I dont think it is all that important as some of those editing sites make it out to be.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Some words of wisdom....

1. The letter of intent should tell the story of the person behind the GPA, GRE, etc.

2. What made you decide to choose planning over another discipline?

3. What are your career goals in planning and why?

4. What will the school help you to achieve?

5. What do you bring to the program?

Cheers!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2006
    I agree with the above - don't beat your brains out over the statement. They just want to know that you have an genuine interest in planning and have thought about what you want to do after. It is not likely to make or break you for admissions.

Registered
    Jul 2006

Length of personal statement?

At the moment I am looking at applying to six different programs, all of which seem to have slightly different guidelines around the personal statement. One school wants four pages while one school only wants 300 words. Is it a big deal to submit a four pager to each school or do they really stop reading after the time limit's up? Obviously I am tweaking each essay to match the school I want, but I'm confused about submitting an essay that is too long.. any advice appreciated. thank you!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Rachel View post
    At the moment I am looking at applying to six different programs, all of which seem to have slightly different guidelines around the personal statement. One school wants four pages while one school only wants 300 words. Is it a big deal to submit a four pager to each school or do they really stop reading after the time limit's up? Obviously I am tweaking each essay to match the school I want, but I'm confused about submitting an essay that is too long.. any advice appreciated. thank you!
    Submit as required by the guidelines. Part of the evaluation is how you follow instructions. Nothing will be lost anyway. I suggest you do the 300-pager first. then elaborate that to make a 4-pager statement. Good luck.

Edit........300 words instead of 300-pager......

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I wrote the most elaborate essay first, then scaled it down to about a page and a half for the remaining schools.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Once you're done with the 300-word statement, you can submit it right away and you're 50% on your way while continuing to make a 4-pager statement.

Registered
    May 2006
    it also might be good to discuss your research interests and possible thesis topics.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Dec 2011, 1:17 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 30 Nov 2010, 11:25 AM
  3. Personal statement
    Student Commons
    Replies: 28
    Last post: 06 Jan 2010, 3:48 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 28 Oct 2009, 8:59 AM