Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Bob Dylan concert

Bob Dylan concert

I went to see Bob Dylan Saturday nite. The concert was $47.oo, he had three opening acts, and started at 6:30, he came on about 9:00. Only down side was that beer was $7.00 a bottle. If you get a chance to see him ,its worth it.

Set List

1. Maggie's Farm
    2. The Times They Are A-Changin'
    3. Lonesome Day Blues
    4. Positively 4th Street
    5. Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
    6. 'Til I Fell In Love With You
    7. To Ramona
    8. Cold Irons Bound
    9. Girl Of The North Country
    10. Highway 61 Revisited
    11. Sugar Baby
    12. Summer Days

(encore)
    13. Like A Rolling Stone
    14. All Along The Watchtower

Next concert-- Dr. John in November

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I personally think that Bob Dylan as a singer is way over rated... Ok, I think he sucks as a singer.

However, I think that he is a phenomenal song writer.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I personally think that Bob Dylan as a singer is way over rated... Ok, I think he sucks as a singer.

I agree with you on that. It must be some kind of generational thing because I just don't get it - Dylan's appeal. I think about his performance on the Grammys a few years ago and how the most exciting part of it was when that freak snuck out on stage and starting dancing.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    That's a very interesting set list. Here's a guy who could perform 14 selections where every single number was a superblockbuster hit if he so chose. And while there are certainly a handful of superblockerbuster hits there, it appears (to me anyway) that he's selected his numbers more on the basis of how each number was representative of each of the phases/periods he's gone through in his songwriting career.

Quote Originally posted by michaelskis
    personally think that Bob Dylan as a singer is way over rated... Ok, I think he sucks as a singer.

I don't think Mr. Zimmerman (his real name) has ever held himself up to be any sort of virtuoso performer. It has always been understood his great genius was in creating memorable themes through his lyrics. He's the poet of our age.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    He is a poet. Just read his lyrics.

Great set list.

I am a huge fan. For any music fan I suggest sampling three albums over the years, maybe: Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (early); Blood on the Tracks or Infidels (middle) and maybe Time Out of Mind (late).

I have read the reviews of his latest concert and of course there are concerns about his voice which is pretty ragged.

I bought tickets so that a fellow BSU planning alum and I could go see him in Louisville back in 90 or 91. My pal couldn't make it ("he pulled a Higgins"), so I gave away the tix. My now boss went instead and said Dylan was so awful, he left midway through the set. Dylan was into some acoustic period and he kept messing up/forgetting lyrics.So, I got to pay for a bad show I didn't see.

As to his poetry, there's no question he's a genius.

Off-topic:
    Going to see the Stones at Churchill Downs next month

Registered
    May 2005
    I saw Bob Dylan a few years back in Atlantic City (a strange venue - the Trump Taj Mahal) and it was a fantastic show. He had a great band with him - very seasoned musicians with a terrifically subtle feel. It still haunts me.

I also agree that it is the poetry and the song writing quality that has made him such a time-tested success. In many ways, I think the tradition he comes out of, or relates most to, is one of traditional music rather than rock. In this context, artists often become more respected and valued with age (even if the voice starts to go or the fingers don't move as quick). The songs are content-driven and the wisdom of years contributes to saying things that resonate with others. My brother recently saw Doc Watson (and grandson) and noted the same thing.

Contrast this with the often depressing image of the aging rock star trying to be as nimble and in your face as in their hey day. IMHO, rock and roll is largely youth music (which isn't to say I don't tap its resources to remember thos younger days). When you perform it after getting your AARP card, it loses some of its ooomf.

I also saw Aerosmith a while back and the image of Stephen Tyler making "love in an elevator" to a 55 year old band skank left me with a sour taste...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Girl Of The North Country
    I would love to here how Dylan is arranging this song! I love Bob Dylan.

And while there are certainly a handful of superblockerbuster hits there, it appears (to me anyway) that he's selected his numbers more on the basis of how each number was representative of each of the phases/periods he's gone through in his songwriting career.
    I would like to see a Northeastern show in December and have him pick the setlist based on the seasonal ambiance.

I was looking at the setlist for this tour -Dylan is playing the Harp and keyboards?
    Last edited by The Irish One; 22 Aug 2006 at 8:51 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I missed his concert opener at the ballpark last week(?) But saw him and Willie nelson at the same ballpark two years or more ago.

Say what you will about his voice and inability to be understood onstage, that band rocked the park.

I read that attendance this year was down, but Willie sells out every time he is in GR,other complaints with the opening bands but the fan base there was totally Dylan.

~-Planderella
    It must be some kind of generational thing because I just don't get it - Dylan's appeal. I think about his performance on the Grammys a few years ago and how the most exciting part of it was when that freak snuck out on stage and starting dancing.
    Freak dancing in front, I might say I hang with that kind of crowd sometimes!

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post

Put me in with the Dylan, as a singer, sucks crowd. Like the others, I think its a generational thing.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2003

It is generational

Bob Dylan perhaps is or was the most famous folk singer in America. But the folkies wanted him to be the anti-war and civil rights spokesman, and knowone tells Bob what to do. The folk stuff just was a means to the end; fame and fortune.

Check out Philhamonic Hall 1964, he still is a folk singer, with duets with Joan Biaz.

In the end he just calls himself a song and dance man. But, I won't go see him because you can not understand gravel.

In my opinion the best Bob Dylan is amphetamine-pot fueled f-you folk era of 1965/66, Blonde On Blonde and Highwigh 61 Revisited. These are just a constant flow of words that exude visions, with twisted rock/blues/country arrangements and sounds. With vocals like and this is off the top of my head:

God said Abe,
    Abe said what,
    God said, kill me your son
    Abe said why,
    God said, if you don't
    next time you see me
    you better run,
    Abe said, where do you want this killn done,
    God said, out on Highway 61

Bob was rather twisted in that post folkie era.

Blood on the Tracks and Desire are very good too.

Cool Bob film and music includes the Concert for Bangladesh with George Harrison on electric guitar, Leon Russel on bass and Ringo Starr on tamberine. Also good film is The Band's Last Waltz, The Band and Dylan rock.

For the youngsters it maybe hard to comprehend how many artists covered Bob: Olivia Newton John, The Byrds, George Harrison, Stevie Wonder, Neville Brothers, Eric Clapton, Ron Wood, The Band, The Greatful Dead, Robert Shatner, Jimi Hendrix, Jason & the Scorchers, The OJays, Janes Addiction, Black Crowes, The Rolling Stones, Joan Biaz, The Turtles, Guns n Roses and the list goes on and on, back decades. This is just off the top of my head, there are hundreds of covers.
    Ohhhh Mama, can this really be the end!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    The recent american master's documentary from scorcese on PBS was exceptional. Also, try and find an amazing documentary film called I think "Don't Look Back" by Pennebaker about Bob's visit to London in the mid late 60's time from (65-66 I think).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Just downloaded the new album Modern Times. It is exceptional.

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    I saw Bob Dylan a few years ago at an outdoor music festival. Crummy show - as much as I was looking forward to seeing him, he pulled out a jam rock show that lacked any possible connection with the audience. It also didn't help that due to poor acoustics I couldn't understand a word he was saying.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by teshadoh View post
    I saw Bob Dylan a few years ago at an outdoor music festival. Crummy show - as much as I was looking forward to seeing him, he pulled out a jam rock show that lacked any possible connection with the audience. It also didn't help that due to poor acoustics I couldn't understand a word he was saying.
    Um, that had nothing to do with acustics. He's always like that.

Funny thing is that I was at that show too. Had to dodge the heavy rain and lightning. I think that was also the year when they had Tony Bennett, who is someone I'd never go through the effort to see but since he was at a festival, why not? It was lots of fun.

I saw Arlo Guthrie last year and he had several stories about hanging out at Bob Dylan's house as a kid while Woody and Bob were jamming or writing songs.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by AubieTurtle View post
    Um, that had nothing to do with acustics. He's always like that.
    Good point -

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. What was your first concert?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 105
    Last post: 17 Nov 2013, 8:38 PM
  2. Concert Tickets
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 26 Aug 2005, 5:41 AM
  3. Presenting Spencer Dylan