Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Your city's landmark restaurant

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Your city's landmark restaurant

Almost every city I've lived in had one landmark restaurant; a joint that is a must-see by tourists and out-of-town visitors. You know - the place the stranger sitting next to you at a blackjack table in Vegas mentions when you bring up your hometown. Trademark restaurants may not be the best, but they are the best known. IMHO, landmark restaurants include:

Buffalo, New York: The Anchor Bar - birthplace of the chicken wing.
    What do locals think is better: Duff's, Gabriel's Gate

Las Cruces, New Mexico: La Posta - supposedly one of the best Mexican restaurant in the US.
    What do locals think is better: Chope's, Nellie's.

Denver, Colorado: Buckhorn Exchange - steakhouse that's been around forever.
    What do locals think is better: Emil-Lene's, Brooks, Denver Chophouse..

Cleveland, Ohio: Corky and Lenny's - one of the biggest delis in the Great Lakes region; known by hundreds of thousands in the Jewish community
    What do locals think is better: Jack's Deli; Slyman's.

What's your city's landmark restaurant, the place everyone knows about, even those thousands of miles from home?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    There are too many world-class places in London to say that one restaurant is THE landmark. However:

Oldest continuing 'high-profile' joint: Rules (in the same spot since the 1700s and still doing well).

Some former 'must go' places that are still around (and arguably doing a better job than when they were the 'in' spots): Kensington Place, Bibendum, Oxo Tower.

There are so many other categories but...gotta run.
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Oct 2001
    There are a lot of restaurants in the Bay Area (I'm defining "your city" very broadly), but in some ways Chez Panisse restarted the whole movement towards California cuisine, local producers, and the like.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Out on the Beach: Capt. Anderson's.
    Dirty Dick's Crab House (really!)
    Before a tornado associated with Ivan demolished it: Hamilton's.
    And the ever popular:

In Santa Cruz County: Shadowbrook, Casablanca, Bittersweet Bistro.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    In metro Toledo.....

Mancy's has been a fixture on the corner of Sylvania and Phillips forever. Very good thick steaks, very nice old building (atmosphere ).

Loma Linda's has been the top Mexican restaurant in the area for many years. The same family also owns a number of other Mexican restaurants in the metro.

I really can't think of any other Toledo metro restaurants that would be called "signature". Others that may eventually make it are along the Maumee River, across the river from downtown Toledo, in an area of restaurants and bars known as "The Docks".

Restaurants that may have been close-to "signature" status have closed or are planning on closing.....victims of the "attack of the upscale national restaurant chains". Folks that used to line-up outside of Fifi's (on Airport Highway) now join the lines at Carrabba's or Outback or Smokey Joe's, etc.

Bear At Loma's
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Philadelphia, PA

Pats Steaks
    Genos Steaks
    Jims Steaks
    Tony Luke's

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Bear!?! no Tony Packos?

In Detroit it is traditionally Carl's, the Roma Cafe, the Rattlesnake Club, the Whitney Sinbad's and Mario's.

Several new high end restraunts have opened lately as a result of a downtown resurgance including the Coach (73rd floor panoramic views), Sweet Georgia Browns, Seldom Blues, the Woodward, and many others.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

The English Grill at the Brown Hotel in Louisville. It's where the Hot Brown sandwich was invented.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Atlanta - has to be The Varsity - the world's largest drive-in, proudly serving up heart attacks-on-a-plate since 1928. http://www.thevarsity.com/

i was going to jokingly throw out The Landmark Diner as an answer...

A slight twist on the topic - the "Big Chicken" KFC in Marietta is a literal landmark - locals and numerous business give directions as north/south/east/west of the Big Chicken. http://roadsidegeorgia.com/site/bigchicken.html
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I don't think Orlando has any.

Unless you count the restaurant in Cinderella's castle; tourists come from all over the world to eat there.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I can't believe Bear omitted Tony Packo's... shameful...

Austin: Liberty Lunch used to be the place to go.

San Marcos: Palmer's is the fancy place, but Texas Red's is well-known to many outside of Texas. Another one in the region is the Saltlick in Driftwood. It's kind of the go-to place for BBQ and is in the top 3 in the state. The top one? Just down the road 20 minutes to Lockhart.

San Antonio: Mexican and Latin food. La Margarita is the standard for taking visitors from out-of-town. I generally consider the Riverwalk to be one big restaurant.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Well, in Chicago it was probably Berghoff's, but the family that ran it for decades decided to close it.
    Last edited by mendelman; 23 Aug 2006 at 1:35 PM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    While not the oldest, or even the best in my opinion, Le Mont is probably the most well known, and frequented, fine-dining establishment in town.

However, being that it's the home of this city's most well known culinary invention,Primanti Bros.. is likely the real landmark restaurant.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    In SLC, it is probably Lambs, Cinegrill, The New Yorker, or Market Street.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    In Cincinnati, at the lower tier, you have Skyline Chili, Gold Star Chili or Camp Washington Chili. Basically, any chili place. (I prefer Skyline.)

At the upper tier, it used to be The Maisonette, the longest-running Mobil five star rated restaurant in North America. Unfortunately, it closed indefinitely last year. Now I'd say the high-end replacement is Jean-Robert at Pigall's, which is growing in regional acclaim.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Toronto has more landmark taverns than restaurants

The El Macombo - music legends have played there
    The Horseshoe - music legends have played there
    Grossmans -blues and jazz
    Fins and Feathers - best scotch selection out there
    The Pilot - pretty much the same since the 40's
    Brunswick House - under new ownership, not the same, but still a legend
    The Black Bull - patio

Restaurants

Shopsys - not the same since it moved from spadina
    Mr Green Jeans - not the same since it moved to the eaton centre 25 years ago
    Old Spaghetti Factory - Esplanade - one of the first palces in teh city to have video games -rumour has it it has gone down hll though
    Frans Diner - College St
    Saassafras - Yorkville place for the beautiful people
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Well, mendelman pretty much stole the words out of my mouth.

Besides that, maybe the Walnut Room in Marshall Field's but who knows if that's staying now that Macy's is taking over.

There's also the Signature Room atop the John Hancock Center, very popular among the wealthy.

There's the Cheesecake Factory, which is also quite popular.

And a variety of Chicagoland chains like Portillo's, Lou Malnati's, and Giordano's just scream Chicago food.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    May 2003
    The Cheesecake Factory is a chain of resturants who've built up a tourist clientel by opening in touristy cities. It is hardly a "landmark" for anyone.

Signatures of Chicago: Uno's Pizza, The Billygoat, Harry Karry's joint, The Green Mill & The Doubledoor, Negro League Cafe, Demon Dogs (still open?), Golden Apple Diner. I'm going for things here that have lots and lots of history. I've probably left many out.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb View post
    The Cheesecake Factory is a chain of resturants who've built up a tourist clientel by opening in touristy cities. It is hardly a "landmark" for anyone.
    agreed. When I think of places that you have to visit in Chicago, I'd say:

Lou's, Uno's, Heaven on Seven.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Boston: Union Oyster House (oldest restaurant in the United States) or Locke Ober (historic political haunt).

Wilmington, NC: The Oceanic which sits ON Wrightsville Beach or Roy's Riverboat Landing.

*These are not the cities' best restaurants, they are merely landmarks.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Berghoff, I will miss your sandwiches washed down with a root beer by standing in a packed barroom during lunch hour.

My sister works within walking distance, I still can't believe anyone would let a place like that go, with all that history (packed lunch crowd, good dinner crowd), seems a shame that that goes and you're left with the Luxe (which is actually pretty good for a big ugly chain looking place) and the Cheesecake.

Thank goodness Chicago mainstays such as the Twin Anchors, Uno, and Ginos will never die.. but then again I thought that of the Berghoff too...
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2004
    If there's one place in Arlington, VA that people thousands of miles away know about, it's the Weenie-Beenie.

http://cityguide.aol.com/washington/...ie/v-102498837

     
    Registered
    Jan 2006
    to me, AB is the top BBQ place.

hereford house. old school steakhouse, but supposedly not the best. (ive heard plaza III)

savoy grill downtown. very old school place (100 years old... never tried.)

both arent nationally known like AB is, however.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Tallahassee has a kick butt Chili's... it is sooo clean and the drinks are 2-4-1!!!

In all seriousness, I have been thinking and I dont beleive Tally has a 'signature' resturaunt. There are plenty of good ones, but not a signature one that comes to mind.

And for even more seriousness, and sadness, the Chili's is usually packed with a wait... while the yummy local joints often sit empty
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

     
    Registered
    Jan 2006
    St. Louis: Eat-Rite

as diminuitive as this may sound, its my favorite place to eat of all time.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 24
    Last post: 27 Feb 2009, 11:32 AM
  2. Save the Landmark Grandview Drive-in
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 31 Mar 2007, 10:46 AM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 20 May 2004, 11:45 PM
  4. Help save Philadelphia modern landmark