Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: 2006 Beloit College Mindset

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

2006 Beloit College Mindset

Every year, Beloit College in Wisconsin releases its Mindset List to give a snapshot of the world view of the incoming freshmen class. The list for the Class of 2010:

very interesting list - 75 items on it.

Highlights:
    1. The Soviet Union has never existed and therefore is about as scary as the student union.
    5. They have grown up getting lost in "big boxes."
    15. They have never had to distinguish between the St. Louis Cardinals baseball and football teams.
    52. They never played the game of state license plates in the car.
    http://www.beloit.edu/~pubaff/mindset/
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    This list always make me feel ancient. Not that I am, it just makes me feel that way....

Registered
    Aug 2005
    hee hee. both my parents went to Beloit. so i have added interest in the list.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Why would they not play the state license plate game? We do that on road trips, but with provinces of course. I don't see how that's changed... unless they just mean that most people fly on vacation. That's not totally true though.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite View post
    Why would they not play the state license plate game? We do that on road trips, but with provinces of course. I don't see how that's changed... unless they just mean that most people fly on vacation. That's not totally true though.
    I think that it is because of gizmos like GameBoys and the 'in flight' movies that are now shown to the passengers of the family sooves.

Mike

Registered
    Aug 2001
    yup, many families dont dare take a car trip unless they can plug in thekids. And coming soon to a grocery store near you are shopping carts in the shape of minicars with a video screen inside for the lil tantrum thrower. Ive heard parents call this a "godsend".

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Jen View post
    yup, many families dont dare take a car trip unless they can plug in thekids. And coming soon to a grocery store near you are shopping carts in the shape of minicars with a video screen inside for the lil tantrum thrower. Ive heard parents call this a "godsend".
    I cringe at the thought of these kids in a few years whining that "I won't buy that car if I can't drive it without a video screen!". (Think cell phones are bad now....)

Mike

Registered
    Oct 2000

Jack (2.5 yrs) always insists on the race car grocery cart (without video screen), but spends approximately .075% of the time in it. And honestly, we have a lot of fun talking about all the different things we see in the grocery store. It amazes me the lengths people go to so that they won't have to interact with their children.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Ive heard parents call this a "godsend".
    Quote Originally posted by Downtown
    It amazes me the lengths people go to so that they won't have to interact with their children.
    I don't have kids or anything, but I have always looked at this issue with the same eye as those quoted above.

On roadtrips, my parents got quiz books geared to whatever grade I was in at the time and took turns quizzing me from the passenger seat. Or, we'd stop at historical sites to stretch and get a feel for the area we're travelling in.

Now, I had a nighbor once come by to use a power saw of mine, so they could mount their son's playstation in the trunk on their car for a trip.

But I suppose this could be another thread, sorry for hijacking it.

ON TOPIC: Is there a link to the whole list?
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    May 2003
    A lot of these are pretty dubious. Any 18 year old is going to remember life before text messaging and reality TV. Those things have only been around for a few years.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    ON TOPIC: Is there a link to the whole list?
    http://www.beloit.edu/~pubaff/mindset/
    RJ is the KING of . The One

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. 2016 Beloit College Mindset List.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 Jul 2013, 3:20 PM
  2. Attitudes and mindset of the elderly
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 11 Jan 2013, 2:32 PM