Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Taking the GREs twice in a short period

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2006

Taking the GREs twice in a short period

First, hello! I am currently looking at master's programs in urban planning, specifically for programs in which one can focus on transportation policy and alternative transportation methods.

Second, I have a specific question about GREs that doesn't appear to have been answered in previous GRE threads: do schools look dimly upon students who take the GREs twice within a short period? I just took them today, and was disappointed in the results; unfortunately, my plans to apply this year to school preclude my waiting a while to take them again.

(Overcompensating for a tendency to rush through exams turned out to be a bad idea -- I had fifteen minutes left to answer fifteen math questions. )

Naturally, I'm contacting a few admissions departments directly to find out their views on retaking the GRE, but wanted to hear advice from others as well, in case the departments are less than forthcoming.

(Oh, in case the numbers are significant, my verbal was 720 and my quantitative was 750. That seems to be higher than some of the averages listed on urban planning department sites, and I understand that the GRE scores are just part of a larger application package, but I want to do everything possible to make up for a mediocre undergraduate record.)
    Last edited by Domo-kun; 24 Aug 2006 at 8:25 PM.

Schools do not look down upon multiple GRE tests.

Your scores are high enough to pretty much get top consideration at any schools. Retaking the test won't give you much of boost.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I heard that some schools; however, average the two scores if the GRE is taken twice. Your initiative in contact schools individually should help in determining this policy.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004

Huh?

Just complete the application already....and stop rubbing in those GRE Scores, some of us have fragile ego's
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Domo-kun View post
    First, hello! I am currently looking at master's programs in urban planning, specifically for programs in which one can focus on transportation policy and alternative transportation methods.

Second, I have a specific question about GREs that doesn't appear to have been answered in previous GRE threads: do schools look dimly upon students who take the GREs twice within a short period? I just took them today, and was disappointed in the results; unfortunately, my plans to apply this year to school preclude my waiting a while to take them again.

(Overcompensating for a tendency to rush through exams turned out to be a bad idea -- I had fifteen minutes left to answer fifteen math questions. )

Naturally, I'm contacting a few admissions departments directly to find out their views on retaking the GRE, but wanted to hear advice from others as well, in case the departments are less than forthcoming.

(Oh, in case the numbers are significant, my verbal was 720 and my quantitative was 750. That seems to be higher than some of the averages listed on urban planning department sites, and I understand that the GRE scores are just part of a larger application package, but I want to do everything possible to make up for a mediocre undergraduate record.)

Chill out. You got a 1470 which is more than adequate to offset the mediocre GPA as you call it. How do you think you did on the writing analysis? Just as an FYI according to something ETS sent me the mean scores for incoming social science grad applicants was Q: 620 V: 485 and Writing: 4.2.

My suggestion to you is work on the rest of your application and save the fees of another exam. Also I am not sure if you know that when ETS sends your GRE scores to a school they send all of the test scores, you can't pick and choose.

As a side note, the GRE score is usually not the definitive deciding factor for admission into most programs. Admissions officers look at the student as a whole to determine whether or not they are a good fit for the program.

FYI: I had a Q:550, V:560, AWA: 5.5, GPA: 3.5 and got into 4/5 schools I applied to and was awarded tuition remission and a fellowship. Sell yourself, not your scores.

Cheers!
    Kim
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2006
    Thank you all for the replies.

You are all right, of course, that there's more to an application than a test score -- and, believe me, I'm starting to work on the other parts as we speak. I just want to have the application reflect my abilities as accurately as possible, and know that this particular piece doesn't.

As I get information from schools, I'll post it here if it differs significantly.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Domo-kun View post
    Thank you all for the replies.

You are all right, of course, that there's more to an application than a test score -- and, believe me, I'm starting to work on the other parts as we speak. I just want to have the application reflect my abilities as accurately as possible, and know that this particular piece doesn't.

As I get information from schools, I'll post it here if it differs significantly.
    The GRE is not a great indicator of your abilities.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. How many spaces after a period?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Jan 2011, 4:26 PM
  2. GREs vs. work experience
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 28 Sep 2010, 7:13 PM
  3. The Best Damn Streetscape PERIOD!
    Friday Afternoon Club