Urban planning community

Poll results: What specialty drinking vessels do you use at home?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • shot glasses

16 45.71%
  • beer glasses

17 48.57%
  • wine glasses

24 68.57%
  • coffee/espresso mugs

21 60.00%
  • juice glasses

19 54.29%
  • champaigne glasses

11 31.43%
  • other (explain below)

15 42.86%
  • I drink only from styrofoam cups

3 8.57%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Drinking Glasses: From the Very Decorative to the Very Cheesy

Registered
    Feb 2004

Drinking Glasses: From the Very Decorative to the Very Cheesy

Last night Mrs. Maister brought home a special pre-birthday treat for me - a bottle of Sheaf Stout. She was pretending to be the archetypical June Cleaver wife and served it to me already poured in a glass. When she presented it she could somehow tell I was mortified by more than just her acting skills. She served the beer in a tall colored drinking glass ! Looked kinda like these I didn't want to hurt her feelings but those tall drinking glasses are what should be used for drinking ice tea or maybe lemonade - certainly not for beer, I usually use pint mugs or pilsners for that.

That little incident has caused me to take stock of our drinking glass inventory. We typically pride ourselves in making do with less materially, but my god, we've got a ton of glasses: we've got a dozen 'regular' wine glasses, a dozen 'fine' wine glasses, a dozen crystal drinking glasses (only used for occasions like Thanksgiving or Christmas dinners), 8 or so tall pilsners, 8 or so champaigne glasses, 6 pint beer mugs, 8 or so smaller mugs, about 8 tall ice tea glasses, a dozen 'regular' drinking glasses we got for our wedding, and a dozen 'good' coffee cups. In addition to this, we have what I am going to call the 'crap cupboard'. This cupboard is filled with miscellaneous non-homogenous, mismatched drinking vessels accumulated over a lifetime from dozens of different sources long ago forgotten. We're talking about the big plastic cup from Steak n Shake, an orphaned glass whose 5 siblings were broken years ago, a gas station coffee mug, jelly jars, mason jars, a couple 'Empire Strikes Back' glasses, an 'over the hill' joke glass, a few plastic drinking cups from childhood foisted on us by parents, shotglasses from that trip to St. Louis or Washington DC..... you get the idea. Guess what we end up drinking from most often - yep, glasses from the 'crap cupboard'.

So does anyone else have a 'crap cupboard'? Any especially beloved stray 'Archie', 'Peanuts' or Coca Cola commemorative drinking glasses cluttering up our kitchens? Or at the other end of the spectrum how about any specialized drinking glass sets for your beer drinking, wine drinking, coffee drinking or other specialty beverage needs?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I like only drinking out of glasswear, I hate the feel of plastic, especially that tupperwear plastic, against my teeth and lips. Nothing like the cool, crisp feel of a cool glass. Pint glasses galore from many a bar (bought or borrowed) or destination I'll drink just about anything out of them, except milk, you should never drink milk out of a pint glass you intend to drink beer out of. I also like glass tumblers for water or lemonade. Coffemugs for coffe or tea. My fiancee loves hurricane glasses for some reason, I hate those things, can't drink out of them fast, hard to clean and I've already broken 2 while doing the dishes, cheap thin glass.

*Edit: Forgot to mention the 20+ fire department ceramic mugs from various anniversaries and wetdowns. Only drink out of them at the event, never again. But some are really cool, shaped like old fire extinguishers, have ax handles, or look like hydrants. Each is so different and unique. I'm sure the fiancee is looking forward to inheriting that collection one day.
    Last edited by Tide; 25 Aug 2006 at 11:55 AM.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I love finding old beer goblets and pints

I have schlitz and blatz goblets and I reserve for only the finest beer.

My wife was addicted to tacky drinking glasses. high school reunion from 1957? Defunct S&L glass? An "un-coloa" 7up drinking glass? That one is actually my favorite.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by boiker View post
    I have schlitz and blatz goblets and I reserve for only the finest beer.
    Oh, the irony!
    Yes, I too love drinking goblets, especially for beer!

One other class of drinkware I just thought of is my beer stein collection. Don't actually drink from them, but they're the coolest things to look at and many have collector's value.

One of my favorite beer drinking glasses is a pewter mug. Pewter mugs are cool because you can put them in the fridge and they'll stay cold a long time. Plus, you can 'season' the mugs by only drinking beer (or any one type of beverage for that matter) from them and the drinkability improves with age and use as the metal absorbs beer molecules.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Sep 1999
    All my everyday glasses are mismatched. Jelly jar juice glasses with Pokemon and Disney characters, from when my son was little. Blue plastic, yellow-striped glass, Trivial Pursuit glasses I got over 20 years ago, a Christmas wine glass I like, and I think somewhere I have a Tab glass. Way too many mugs. I cleaned out this cabinet when I moved 9 years ago; wonder how it got so full again....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Most of my stuff is matched. Wine glasses, sparkling wine flutes, water/juice glasses. Specialty glasses include 4 wine glasses etched "Chateau Jake" and a couple of margarita glasses given to me by a friend last Christmas.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I got rid of a accumulation of mismatched glasses when I got married. We have pretty uniform everyday glasses - a dozen of those 20 oz red plastic Coca-Cola glasses you get at low cost sit down restaurants. Before we got married my wife worked in sales for Coca-Cola and she got a whole case of them.

But we do have a rather small, but eclectic assortment of coffee mugs. We mostly use them for hot chocolate, since neither of use drink coffee. One is a Garfield clear glass mug that I have had since about the mid 1980s. It was probably one of those mug giveaways from Burger King or somesuch.
    Last edited by mendelman; 25 Aug 2006 at 11:16 AM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I imagine many of you have the absolutely necessary college/pro sports team cups or glasses?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Ahh....

Am I the ONLY one that drinks out of plastic cups of various sizes, acquired from multiple gas stations?? My favorite is the 64 ounce cup from a Cheveron Station around the corner.....I use this bad boy for wine, scotch, beer, coke (pepsi sucks), Mellow Yellow, milk, and various juices and tea. Water? Isn't that what they put in swimming pools?
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I have a collection of these for drinking certain beer. See Linky:
    New Belgium Globe

I got a set from a friend as a house warming gift and then I got one for attending a tasting held at NBB by the American Homebrewer's Assn., but that got lost in downtown Fort Collins later that night.
    I also have pint glasses for beer and cocktails (gin and tonics are served tall at my place), shot glasses and rocks glasses (for whiskey). I have a Molson Export pilsner glass from the brewery in Montreal.

Lots of coffee mugs too.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I imagine many of you have the absolutely necessary college/pro sports team cups or glasses?

Actually, I owned (may it RIP) a White Sox peanut jar which was used as a drinking glass.

Oh ya.. and the "soup-bowl" sized coffee mugs I have. I only had 3 (24oz) cups of coffee today. I'm cutting back!

Lest I forget the flower vase that subsitutes for a 40oz glass at times.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The list of various beer glasses alone would hurt my brain to come up with right now. But I think I have about 15 different styles of beer glasses. With pint glasses alone, I probably have 50 different glasses and logos.

We have so much other glassware jsut for bar stuff...margarita glasses (glass, ceramic and plastic), martini glasses, various wine glasses for each varietal.

Water, juice, coffee, etc, etc, etc
    "You can measure the health of a city by the vitality and energy of its streets and public open spaces.”-- William H. Whyte..

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    we have two sets of glasses.....green ones that have both tall and short varieties which are used for water and sweet tea and a clear set that are small and medium sized which we usually use for juice and milk. I have a set of mugs that matches my dish set but we rarely use them because we drink arab style coffee from little tiny handled mugs and the arab style tea is served in small handleless glasses.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by prana View post
    The list of various beer glasses alone would hurt my brain to come up with right now. But I think I have about 15 different styles of beer glasses. With pint glasses alone, I probably have 50 different glasses and logos.
    I would imagine that you probably have at least one yard?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I have approximately 30 pint glasses. Only ever drink out of 2 or 3 of them.

I have mugs for tea.

I have glasses for juice.

I plan on buying a set of 4 crystal glasses for scotch, when I have the disposable income.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I have a bit of a "fetish" for Scandinavian design, so I have quite a large collection of Iitala drinking glasses (Aino Aalto). http://www.finnstyle.com/ainoaalto.html
    My only defense is that the collecting bug does seem to be inherited.

I also have Iitala wine glasses that I really like. http://www.finnstyle.com/essence.html

There is a cool Scandinavian design shop in San Francisco that fed my habit

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I just do the basic glasses...

pint mugs for stouts and brown ales,
    pint glasses for lagers,
    pilsners for the lighter beers,
    larger wine glasses for the reds (I have not yet sprung for the full set of Reidel),
    white wine glasses,
    desert wine glasses,
    water goblets
    mugs
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    We went the Crate & Barrel route from our humble beginnings (plus, my BIL worked for them at the time) and have jelly jars, about 18 for all around drinking, then we have 8 of their Pilsners, 12 wine goblets (though they discontinued our type after almost 20 years so we have to find a new one), champagne (only 2 left, lol, private joke), 4 martini (classic shape plus the pitcher and stirrer), plus 4 of the C & B heavy-bottomed on the rocks, and shot glasses

then we have some water goblets I got from Portmeirion to go with the Portmerion (sp) china we use, 4 pint glasses we got in England, lots of sake sets, 4 metal martini glasses someone gave us and a few assorted glasses here and there people have given us as gifts

can you tell we party alot?

we emptied the unmatched and cheesy glass stuff when we moved up here, though our mug collection is still pretty cheesy but who cares, it's coffee, and we don't have plastic, which is not good for picnic-ing

Registered
    Feb 2004
    On a slightly different note, what is the most inappropriate drinking vessel/beverage combination you have ever used? You know, something like serving Chateau Lafite-Rothschild in a plastic 49ers mug or pineapple juice in a copper cup?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I would imagine that you probably have at least one yard?

Yep- I have one that I bought in college! And it's still in one piece amazingly. I also have a couple of "footers". Haven't used the yard in a long time.
    "You can measure the health of a city by the vitality and energy of its streets and public open spaces.”-- William H. Whyte..

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I have a small collection of pint glasses. I started with a Henry Weinhard's Blue Boar Ale glass (my prized possession, which broke a few years ago ) I have perhaps eight. Most have a beer logo on them, though I picked up a few plain ones at the Dollar General for a buck each. Given the fact I don't drink as much beer as I used to, mostly these glasses get used for dinner parties when we want to show the neighbors and friends we got "class". Otherwise I drink from plastic cups.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2001
    As an other... nothing beats the A&W rootbeer mugs. I swiped a bunch when I was a starving student, and I still have three that I keep in the freezer at all times. I love to put soda in them and then watch the little ice dome build on top.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    What is a juice glass? A highball glass? We use those and we also use a sake cup.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    What is a juice glass? A highball glass? We use those and we also use a sake cup.
    Highball glasses are usually short and hold about 8 ounces to 10 ounces. Juice glasses are the same height but really skinny... holds 4 oz, which is the serving size for juice.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    On a slightly different note, what is the most inappropriate drinking vessel/beverage combination you have ever used? You know, something like serving Chateau Lafite-Rothschild in a plastic 49ers mug or pineapple juice in a copper cup?
    How about the oft-mentioned drinking champagne from a woman's slipper? While it may sound romantic in some of a strange way, was it ever a really good idea? As for me, just pour mine into a glass.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Cheesy local commercials
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 60
    Last post: 16 Jul 2009, 9:52 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Feb 2006, 7:51 AM
  3. Decorative Pavement
    Friday Afternoon Club