Urban planning community

Poll results: What specialty drinking vessels do you use at home?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • shot glasses

16 45.71%
  • beer glasses

17 48.57%
  • wine glasses

24 68.57%
  • coffee/espresso mugs

21 60.00%
  • juice glasses

19 54.29%
  • champaigne glasses

11 31.43%
  • other (explain below)

15 42.86%
  • I drink only from styrofoam cups

3 8.57%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Drinking Glasses: From the Very Decorative to the Very Cheesy

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I have some beer mugs that I rarely use; I tend to drink straight from the bottle. The only kind I have that are missing from your list is margarita glasses.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    How about the oft-mentioned drinking champagne from a woman's slipper? While it may sound romantic in some of a strange way, was it ever a really good idea?
    Never had occasion to try. However I did once drink beer out of a combat boot. True.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite View post
    Highball glasses are usually short and hold about 8 ounces to 10 ounces. Juice glasses are the same height but really skinny... holds 4 oz, which is the serving size for juice.
    When I drink juice, I usually drink about 12-16 ounces. That rules out a juice glass or a highball.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I, too, have a small collection of pint glasses - most of which are from brew pubs.

While I don't drink as much beer as I used to, I have found that they make a great size for gin & tonics.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Slow week at work, huh Maister
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator View post
    Slow week at work, huh Maister
    Off-topic:
    The key, young Rumpster, is efficiency. When you get as good as me perhaps you'll be able to slack on my level
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Off-topic:
    The key, young Rumpster, is efficiency. When you get as good as me perhaps you'll be able to slack on my level
    Off-topic:
    Grass stop growing this week?
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Aug 2004
    My husband drinks everything out of mugs - coffee, wine, juice, everything. So we have an ever-expanding mug collection.

When we got married, we had glasses on our registery. We received 4 water goblets (which are as tall as wine glasses and don't fit in the standard cabinet shelf), 4 small and 4 large glasses (I'm assuming juice and water/tea sized) and various other items.

SOmeone gave us plastic wine glasses for our engagement. While they are really pretty (nice scrollwork) they have to be hand washed. Yuck.

My margarita glasses came from some work function of my husband. He won a door prize that included the 2 heavy, hand-blown glasses, and the fixings for the stuff that's inside the glasses. YUM!!

I cleaned out the mismatched crap cupboard twice in the last year - each with move. So we're down to the 3 random football glasses and two beer logo water glasses. I'm hoping we don't get too much more in the cupboard - I don't like throwing out perfectly cheesy stuff!!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Concerning RJ's post, indicating that all of his drinkware "matches".....color me suprised......not......
    _____

This Bear did start a coffee cup (mug) thread awhile back, but this, Maisterman, is so much more. Color me impressed.

We have a couple wine glasses. Most of our glassware is "mixed" junk, collected over the years. We tend to drink straight out of the bottles. No fuss, no muss.

We really should have more, because Toledo is "The Glass City". In addition to world headquarters for a number of glass manufactuers, glass-producing factories in the area produce everything from automotive plate glass to world-famous Libbey Glass.

Color Me Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    This is me with my favorite drinking glass. I try to limit myself to only one or two drinks

Hmmm... this could have made a good caption contest
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Dec 2004

Other

Well, from his bachelor days my husband has a Hires Root Beer mug. Because "it's not a souvenir unless it's stolen."

We have a great collection of plastic mugs and cups from a variety of firefighter conventions from around the state. I'd be hard pressed to find something actually made out of glass in our house!
    Living and dreaming are two different things-but you can't do one without the other."
    -Malcolm Forbes

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Not bad for a single guy -
    6 pieces each of 4 different sizes; I think they are the Anchor Hocking Essex ?
    and
    just like others have mentioned assorted plactic too.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Well, at college, I drink:

Beer, straight from the bottle or can. Plastic cups if it's a kegger.
    Mixed drinks, out of plastic cups for the big events, or large glasses for the smllaer occassions
    And shot after shot of the really hard stuff from shot glasses
    Nobody drinks wine, but when you do, it's usually cheap and usually straight from the bottle

So, really all we need is plenty of plastic cups, some shot glasses, and some regular 12 oz (?) glasses.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I own all options you list and then some. Not really by choice, but that is the kind of stuff I get bought for me since I have been married. We even have margarita classes that look like castus... oh yeah, it is 'very cheesey'
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Seeing this old thread on the bottom of the page has reminded me that my weekend plans will include a Great Purge. No more will we allocate cupboard space for plastic White Sox cups, jelly jars, or orphaned glasses from 1980's vintage sets.
    We shall retake our kitchen cupboards.

Efficiency. Simplicity. Integrity.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    A classic pint glass is standard drinking vessel for the indoors.

A Red Solo Cup (I fill you up) is standard drinking vessel for the outdoors.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Like H, I have all of the above plus.When the cabinet door won't close I take a few coffee mugs, plastic mugs and glasses, yada, yada, and put them in the basement. If the wife doesn't miss them after a year...trash.
    cordials
    brandy snifters
    sherry
    Christmas sets
    monogrammed shots
    some silver, some pewter, some crystal, some glass: plastic is limited to 2/3 of one shelf.
    I have too many glasses! I could survive on the 40 year old wedding set of 8: tea, water, & juice.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Cheesy local commercials
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 60
    Last post: 16 Jul 2009, 10:52 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Feb 2006, 8:51 AM
  3. Decorative Pavement
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3