Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Reverse commuters

Registered
    May 2006
    Does traditional commuting even exist anymore? There's more traffic on the outerbelts between the 'burbs than going into and out of the CBD in most cities.

I used to be a reverse commuter, till I moved to the suburbs to be closer to work. I don't know if it's gonna last, NOTHING is walkable out here. Used to have restaurants, bars, music shops, hell even the grocery store if I wanted within walking distance, miss it dearly. Driving past standstill traffic on the southbound freeway at 70 mph going north was pretty awesome. Now I'm stuck with the rest of the suburbanities on the outerbelt, fun.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Technicially, I think I do reverse commute too.

My drive is a 5-7 minutes drive. I live in a neighbourhood that's a 10-minute walk from the downtown core of the city. I work at a place that is close to the edge of town.

I actually think reverse commuting is not bad compared to commuting from one suburb in one part of a metropolitan area to another suburb in another part of the same metropolitan area. I would imagine that the traffic between both areas would be dreadful. For example, I know of someone who recently started a job in Markham, north of Toronto, and will be commuting from his home in Mississauga, west of Toronto.

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Now that I do have a job , I suppose it is a traditional commute - I live in an apartment complex just a 5 minute bicycle ride from the office park where I work. I would imagine we'll move into a house (though in Boulder, we'll stick to renting) in the town center - which in that case it would be a 10 minute bicycle ride to work which might be considered reverse commuting. But no one really works in 'downtown' Boulder anyways, but the office parks to the east of the city.
    Pudding will not fill the emptiness inside me... but it will help.

     
    Registered
    Aug 2006
    Many people here in Scranton reverse-commute as well from their homes in the city to major financial centers in the suburbs such as MetLife, CIGNA, Bank of America, IBM, Prudential, etc. It would be ideal if one or all of these companies relocated their office park locations into vacant downtown structures in an effort to help breathe new life into the Electric City, but I suppose that's just being unrealistic.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Commuters off to an early start
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 46
    Last post: 14 Sep 2007, 7:50 AM
  2. The latest captive market: commuters
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 10 Jan 2007, 4:11 PM
  3. Measuring commuters