Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Putting Your Pet "To Sleep"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Last week came the time to put to sleep our cat, Sitka. I felt sad, guilty and angry. She was obese and had diabetes and two bad knees and her hips and spine were arthritic. I felt guilty because I should have taken steps to not let her get fat. But I didn't. We were working on getting her weight down and had her on a special diabetic diet. It was working. Too little too late, I am afraid. We could have helped her if only she hadn't taken to going to the bathroom whereever she pleased.

Our basement smelled like a pissoire. The straw that broke the camel's back was she took a dump on the carpet while I was standing right there!. I swear to God if it hadn't been dark outside I think I would have driven her to a remote location and taken her out like Soprano style.

But I didn't. I waited through the weekend and took her into the vet on Monday. She went peacefully.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    Last week came the time to put to sleep our cat, Sitka. I felt sad, guilty and angry. She was obese and had diabetes and two bad knees and her hips and spine were arthritic. I felt guilty because I should have taken steps to not let her get fat. But I didn't. We were working on getting her weight down and had her on a special diabetic diet. It was working. Too little too late, I am afraid. We could have helped her if only she hadn't taken to going to the bathroom whereever she pleased.

Our basement smelled like a pissoire. The straw that broke the camel's back was she took a dump on the carpet while I was standing right there!. I swear to God if it hadn't been dark outside I think I would have driven her to a remote location and taken her out like Soprano style.

But I didn't. I waited through the weekend and took her into the vet on Monday. She went peacefully.
    I'm sorry for your loss, Otterpop.

It's very hard to control cats' food intake when you have a multicat household or if you feed dry food and leave it out "free choice". Of my three "witch sisters", one is a rolypoly girl who scarfs down anything (including unattended people food) and thinks "exercise" means waddling from the food bowl to a soft spot to sleep. The other two are very thin and very active. People think they're still kittens.

I think that a cat not using the litterbox is a sign of some kind of physical problem. In old cats, it might also be a form of feline dementia. I think they get confused and can't find the litterbox even if they're next to it.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Linda_D View post
    I'm sorry for your loss, Otterpop.

It's very hard to control cats' food intake when you have a multicat household or if you feed dry food and leave it out "free choice". Of my three "witch sisters", one is a rolypoly girl who scarfs down anything (including unattended people food) and thinks "exercise" means waddling from the food bowl to a soft spot to sleep. The other two are very thin and very active. People think they're still kittens.

I think that a cat not using the litterbox is a sign of some kind of physical problem. In old cats, it might also be a form of feline dementia. I think they get confused and can't find the litterbox even if they're next to it.
    I lost a cat 11 yrs ago due to diabetes and she wasn't even fat, just ate people food (licked ice cream bowls for example). Now we have one tiny petite cat, one normal weight, one way fat; but as you said, when you have multiple cats sharing food... I feel guilty about the big guy but what do we do, starve the others?

p.s. Otterpop, I know how it is. Our dog started peeing on the carpets right before the kid and I moved to the panhandle, plus had an incurable skin condition. It's embarrassing to them (believe me, she knew) and frustrating for us.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Five years ago the cat nearly dies before Christmas. The vet suggested putting her down, but Mrs. Cardinal gave her intravenous fluids and forced pureed food down her throat. We dragged her halfway across the country (along with the two dogs) to California. On Christmas morning I had a long talk with her and suggested that she could start eating as a Christmas gift to her mother. I swear the cat got up, walked to her dish, and began to eat.

This year the problems she developed caught up to her. Just before Christmas she stopped eating. We took her to the vet (different one) who ran a number of tests, then told us of all her problems. She said it might be two weeks or two years. It really depended on the cat. More IV fluids and pureed food later, the cat has begun to eat and is as annoying as ever.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Domino

One of our family was laid to rest yesterday. It all happened so fast. On Wednesday night Domino.....young black and white kitty cat with markings similar to an Orca.....was at his usual position, in this Bear's lap, sleeping. When I arrived home Thursday evening Katie told me that "something is wrong with Domino". Apparently he ingested something he shouldn't have.....we are not sure. The emergency trip to the vet took place Friday morning. The vet ran some tests and said he could run more tests but he expected Domino to pass away before the weekend was over.

Domino was about 4 years old. His first few days at our household were interesting.....tiny little kitten hissing at Molly (our Golden Retriever) and swatting those cut little paws at our other two kitty cats, Taz and White Thing. Domino lived on the enclosed front porch for his first few days. He was a skinny kitty all of his life but still joined the morning line-up at the food bowls. His meow was soft and often he would open his mouth but no noise came forth. I'm gonna miss my "lap pal".

Bear
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Animals - Cats (37).jpg  
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm so sorry about Domino, BUN. It is so hard to lose a pet when they are so young. Keeping your family and Domino in my thoughts.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Sorry to hear about your loss, BUN. That's so sad that it happened so soon.

I hope things get better for you and your family in the coming days.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Oh, Bear, I am so sorry for your loss.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Blanche 2002 - 2012

It really helps to take final pictures.

Yes, I went through this May 2011 with my 19yo. It's getting easier. On Tuesday evening Blanche passed the "purr test." (When Kitto started fading, I hung on too long, and afterwards realized that she had stopped purring some days before I was able to take that last drive.)

Let's see...almost no immune system, stomatitis (which consumed all her teeth and often became infected), a heart murmur. In January she weighed about 8 lbs, and by August, when renal failure was diagnosed, she'd dropped to below 5. We've been on on a merry-go-round of special foods, injections, sub-cutaneous fluids, antibiotics, and appetite stimulants. She's been her usual cheerful and talkative self until this week, when her breathing gradually became more labored. And this morning it was clear that the time had come.

I'm so relieved that she is out of pain.
    Last edited by Veloise; 04 Oct 2012 at 1:57 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Oh, Veloise. I'm so sorry about Blanche. She is a beautiful kitty and sounded like a wonderful companion.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    *hugs* Veloise. Blanche had a wonderful, long life with you and was truly loved. I am sure you will see her on the other side and Kitto was waiting to greet her.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I'm so sorry, V. Blanche was a beautiful cat.

*sigh* It never gets any easier, no matter how many times you go through it.

Registered
    May 2004

It gets better

Being new to all of this (dear ol' dad "took care" of my almost-21yo first cat, when I was 32), I'm still feeling my way.

It helps when they visibly decline, stop being eager to do much of anything. This adventure ramped up soon after my father died, when the stomatitis demolished her teeth; she's been living on soft food. At that time (August 2010) the vet mentioned her mother's cat and how bad it looked towards the end.

On her penultimate day, Blanche could barely climb the stairs to her heated kitty bed. Add a visible tremor, more laboring with every breath, and a chest issue; the lowest rib felt like it was growing a tumor. The vets said that her ribs were breaking down, but "she has so many other issues" that I shouldn't worry about it. I could feel that changing almost daily, and then something similar developed on her collarbone. Last night she changed her resting posture, apparently because it hurt to lie on her side.

What I learned from last year: I still don't want to be present at the end. I spent some time setting up this morning's photo session, and when I checked on her, Blanche was still crouched on the kitchen floor. (She never does that.) In the car on Monday, she was very quiet, in contrast to her car alarm-style commentary. Today I placed her in a padded kitty bed in the back seat, and she stayed there rather than get out and look out the window.

At the vet's, I stood by a sunny window and we looked at the garden for awhile. And I turned her face and looked into her eyes. (Will have to ask them about iridology; there were definite changes to those beautiful blue eyes.)

I'd meant to shoot some video of her goofy morning routine, where she'd stand on my chest and purr into my face. Tried to snag that today, but she wasn't purring, and it wasn't something I'd want to remember. For the last several days I've been wondering if she'd still be alive when I got back from an errand, and I'm glad that I don't have to further support that stupid 24 hr emergency place.

Feeling lucky that she survived her first near-death episode (reaction to anesthesia when she was 6 months old) and my idiot father's giving her away to his friend when she was a year old. I posted flyers all over, and amazingly got her back about six weeks after he dumped her. She's been my seven-lives kitty.

It also helps to see how FB friends (don't) cope.

I will have to visit the shelters next week, as my now-only kitty will be needing a buddy.

Appreciate the condolences, enjoy the FB pics.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    So sorry for your losses, BUN and Veloise.

Cats are great. It is amazing how just petting my cat and watching how he enjoys an ear scratch makes a hard day at the office seem not so bad.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Veloise, I'm so sorry.

I've been through this several times, and it's always hard. and the hardest part is deciding when is the right time. You always second guess yourself: should I have waited? did I wait too long? In the end, you have to do what is best for your pet NOT for yourself.

With my dog Rusty, who was 16 and badly crippled with arthritis, I finally had to do what needed to be done when he developed a growth on his tongue that started to prevent him from eating as he should. It was very sad, but he had a long, happy life.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Feb 2011

Toughest thing ever

Sympathies to all who have lot pets. They truly become part of the family.

I had to put our dog to sleep at age 6 due to cancer. "Sophie" was my shadow and followed me everywhere. It was brutal. I listened to "Higher" by Creed on my drive home from the vet, and could barely keep the car on the road.

We said we were going to take a break from having a pet, but that lasted about a week before we started looking. it was just too quiet in the house.

Our rescue dog "Benny" is now 7 (we think) and he's been great fun.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Thurgood View post
    Our rescue dog "Benny" is now 7 (we think) and he's been great fun.
    I salute you for adopting a rescue. Once you do, you'll never stop...

I have often thought the same thing about taking a break, too. The first time I saw this, it made perfect sense.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    May 2005
    Our childhood dog was put to sleep at the age of 18, when I was a sophomore in high school. I didn't really have a whole lot to do with the dog when I was growing up, so it didn't bother me.

Our dog is a large breed and is 9 years old. He hasn't shown any signs of slowing down, but I now that could change quickly. I often wonder what my emotions will be. Largely because both my wife and I have decided we probably won't get another dog because of our lifestyles and the issues the current hound has giving us.

I'm sure I'll drink a few on his behalf when he goes. And I'm sure I'll think of the times at the lake, instead of the time he shit in my daughter's bed.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2004

Distraction: Humane Society foster

On Monday I noticed that my surviving kitty was moping around. We both miss Blanche, who was a real talker.

I follow the local humane society on FB, and they mentioned an open house for those who want to volunteer by fostering a/some critter(s) for a few weeks. Went to the meeting that evening.

On Thursday I picked up this little visitor. She's six weeks old, and it appears that the stated goal of "socializing" is pretty well accomplished.

And my big furry kitty is no longer sad. He's been hanging out near her birdcage and checking her out.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Awwwwwwwwww! Vel, that little kitty kat is adorable! Maybe you can dress her up as a pirate's parrot for Halloween.

At the start of August, my vet said Guinness has two to four months.

I took this photo on Thursday, Bailey is hovering over him.

He lost a lot of his appetite, and he's down to about 50 pounds, from his normal weight of 60-65. There's a sense that he feels fragile and vulnerable. He doesn't like going to the dog park anymore, but he still enjoys the company of the younger dogs where I live. I think it's because he knows they're not a threat.

He has good moments and bad, but the past week he's been especially happy and bouncy. We go on a half mile walk every day, down the abandoned railroad ROW that runs behind the complex.

Hopefully, he'll make it to November 15, his 14th birthday.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 8:38 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 Jun 2007, 10:39 AM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last post: 29 Oct 2004, 5:43 PM